PDA

View Full Version : 400ex front shocks

thebig450es
09-21-2009, 12:24 PM
When do you know when the front shocks need rebuilt? I have works with rezzies.

KISSmyACE
09-21-2009, 12:48 PM
when they don't feel like they're doin their job anymore lol

This is stolen from the GT Thunder Website:

How often should a shock be serviced??

To keep any shock performing good for a long time it needs to be serviced and cleaned periodically. How often it is needed depends on how extreme the shocks are used how serious a rider is about keeping their suspension in top condition.

Example:

Pro – Every National

Amateur racer – 2-3 times per season

Trail and general riding – Every 6 months

thebig450es
09-21-2009, 01:03 PM
I don't know if i should send them to works, or go with GT thunder or C&D. I have no downward tavel, and about 3 inches of shaft showing. They are triple rate. They feel better than stock but i don't know how much of a difference i should feel.

thebig450es
09-22-2009, 09:45 AM
Im jsut tring to find out what im looking for since this is my first time buying aftermarket shocks. Thanks for the help

F-16Guy
09-22-2009, 10:09 AM
I don't know how much you're looking to spend, but my suggestion would be to let Santo Derisi (derisiracing.com) do his Works Millenium rebuild on them. I think it's $225, but I've heard lots of people say that they work like a high-end shock when he's done. They will be completely re-worked, including new pistons and custom valving. It's supposed to be the best thing you can do to a set of Works.

As far as change intervals, it depends on how much and how hard you ride. Believe it or not, I've never serviced my rear shock since new (almost 10 years!!!). I'm not saying thats good, but my shock doesn't leak a drop and feels just like my wife's newer, low hour 400ex. If you develope a leak, get it serviced right away. If they start feeling different, get them serviced right away. I'm willing to be yours are either way off for you weight/setup, or you don't have any nitrogen in them.

thebig450es
09-22-2009, 01:39 PM
Is there a way to test the shock or check the psi of the nitrogen?

dustin_j
09-22-2009, 02:14 PM
Remove the springs. Clamp top shock eyelet in a vice (shock upside down). Push down shock shaft until bottomed out (you should have to push hard). Let go of the shaft and watch the rebound. The shaft should rebound quickly and smoothly. If the rebound is too slow, or not at all, your nitrogen is gone. If the shaft hesitates as it rebounds, you have air in your oil. Hope this helps.

Dustin

thebig450es
09-22-2009, 02:20 PM
Is there a how to on removing the springs

dustin_j
09-22-2009, 02:55 PM
You need to push down on the top spring retainer and remove the snap ring that holds it on. Remember what groove this snap ring was located in for re-assembly. Then, push up the springs from the bottom and slide out the bottom spring retainer. Finally, slide the springs off. Hopefully this makes sense, it's hard to explain with only words as I do not know of a document showing how to remove the springs.

TRXRacer1
09-22-2009, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by KISSmyACE

Example:

Pro – Every National

Amateur racer – 2-3 times per season

Trail and general riding – Every 6 months I know this is GTT advice not yours ACE so don't take this personal. That has got to be some of the dumbest advice I've seen for shock service!

Originally posted by F-16Guy
or you don't have any nitrogen in them.
Ever dump the nitrogen out of a shock and run it? You'd have a hard time telling a difference. His problem has nothing to do that.

Originally posted by dustin_j
Remove the springs. Clamp top shock eyelet in a vice (shock upside down). Push down shock shaft until bottomed out (you should have to push hard). Let go of the shaft and watch the rebound. The shaft should rebound quickly and smoothly. If the rebound is too slow, or not at all, your nitrogen is gone. If the shaft hesitates as it rebounds, you have air in your oil. Hope this helps.

Dustin

X2 ;)

thebig450es
09-22-2009, 09:29 PM
Thanks any more info on the subject would be helpful?

F-16Guy
09-23-2009, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by TRXRacer1
...Ever dump the nitrogen out of a shock and run it? You'd have a hard time telling a difference. His problem has nothing to do that.

Maybe, maybe not. The front end of a quad is fairly light, and 200+ PSI does provide an air spring effect, so if the nitrogen is gone AND the spring rate and/or preload is incorrect, the lack of nitrogen could magnify the problem. I have compressed shocks both before and after servicing with nitrogen, and there is a big difference.

thebig450es -- To check/adjust nitrogen, you have to have a nitrogen source and a servicing manifold. The manifold equalizes the pressure on the outside of the schrader valve so that you don't lose any pressure as you're disconnecting. If you try to check it with a regular high pressure guage, the volume of nitrogen in the shock reservoir is so small that the pressure will change just from what it takes to make the gauge register. Chances are that if you lost nitrogen, you probably have a leak somewhere, and may have lost oil, too. Assuming the spring rate is correct, you may be able to just have them serviced and be good to go.

thebig450es
09-23-2009, 10:56 AM
Is there any way to tell what the spring rates are?

F-16Guy
09-23-2009, 11:23 AM
http://www.gtthunder.com/coilsprate.htm