PDA

View Full Version : Axle clip and locknut

250r_86
09-20-2009, 11:16 PM
I recently had my axle apart to put new bearings in my carrier and i put it back together and the c-clip keeps popping out of the groove when i tighten up the lock nut....i've got a rad nut on it....i stared at it for a while and i can't figure out what's going on....ive had it apart before and never had any problems....am i missing something here?....thanks

Honda 250r 001
09-21-2009, 07:07 AM
on a rad nut there is a little retainer that conforms to the round shape of the clip, if you dont have that, it will fail.

But you need to get pics for me to confirm.

ive also seen a few people put them on backwards, are you sure yours is on the right way?

86 Quad R
09-21-2009, 07:48 AM
looking at the rear of the quad and from left to right, does yours have the brake hub/disc, the fine threaded colar, thin locking/jamb nut, big adjuster nut and finally the snap clip or do you have the brake hub/disc, the fine threaded colar, thin locking/jamb nut, big adjuster nut, a thin spacer/clip retainer and finally the snap clip?

reason i ask is because if you have the later of the two setups then you have an '86 atc rear and may have the lil thin spacer"clip retainder" backwards.

250r_86
09-21-2009, 04:55 PM
I've got it on the right way....i tried putting it on the other way just for ****s and giggles and it doesn't fit....i don't have either one that you described....looking at it right now what i have is the fine threaded spacer that is splined on the inside to slide over the axle, big split adjusting nut with one allen bolt to tighten it down, and then the c clip....I can't remember if there was a retainer to hold the clip or not....there must have been cuz it doesn't work now....let me know what you guys think....thanks

Honda 250r 001
09-21-2009, 04:57 PM
i guarentee there is a retainer, you most likely lost it or its worn out.

Banshee_370
09-21-2009, 05:17 PM
just installed my rad lock and had the same issue....looked in the box and there was a gold spacer/retainer that goes between the rad lock and the snap ring.....it even says it on the instructions

250r_86
09-21-2009, 05:52 PM
yea it looks like i lost it somewhere along the line....i don't think mine was gold but what does it look like?....maybe i'll have to fab somethin up if i can't find it....or does somebody happen to have one laying around somewhere?