PDA

View Full Version : adding LRD full exhaust have ?

dr qwerty
09-20-2009, 09:47 PM
So i am adding my LRD full exhaust, and my question is that;

the clutch cable seems to rest on the header, will it burn?

1. Does the cable go under or between(on top) of the headers?

2. can you provide pictures of your full exhaust, it just seems the cable/rubber is going to melt very fast with this exhaust,

Ryan'07400ex
09-21-2009, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by dr qwerty
So i am adding my LRD full exhaust, and my question is that;

the clutch cable seems to rest on the header, will it burn?

1. Does the cable go under or between(on top) of the headers?

2. can you provide pictures of your full exhaust, it just seems the cable/rubber is going to melt very fast with this exhaust,

Stock I am pretty sure it goes in between the two but aftermarket will get hotter so you could wrap it with heat tape or move it.
It doesn't need to rest on the headers though.

bigbad400
09-21-2009, 08:43 AM
if you make sur that the cable is in all its holders it wont touch on the header, there is a clip in spot on front of the gas tank heat shield, that clips the cable into place then theres the metal ring, the one thats right under the header on the bottom of the top end of the motor and then it goes to the cable pearch. hop[e it all works out for you. youll love the lrd pipe, i had the lrd on my 240 race blaster, it made a huge difference, its top rated pipe for the blaster. i have heard them and seen them on 400's but never rode with one, only a chincy dg that was louder than stock but no gain that i could see and my HMF thats the bee's knees. i got some impressive gains outa the HMF slipon and modified stock header.

mjc400ex
09-21-2009, 09:00 PM
I have the LRD full exhaust on my 400ex. I bought it used with it on there already. The clutch cable is run between the head pipes. I can see that it is melted on one spot where it comes close to the pipe. It hasn't seemed to mess with the cable yet though. I'm sure this is normal with all stainless steel aftermarket exhausts but it gets crazy hot. It does sound great though.

dr qwerty
09-21-2009, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by mjc400ex
I have the LRD full exhaust on my 400ex. I bought it used with it on there already. The clutch cable is run between the head pipes. I can see that it is melted on one spot where it comes close to the pipe. It hasn't seemed to mess with the cable yet though. I'm sure this is normal with all stainless steel aftermarket exhausts but it gets crazy hot. It does sound great though.

Can i see a picture? and you are saying in between the pipes, damn, i know this isn't going to be good. I'm gonna need some heat wrap or silacone or something cause it just seems like it will melt

Moto Pro472
09-21-2009, 10:03 PM
Just FYI your best best is to just run the cable down the frame rail instead of between the head pipes. To do this you need a longer cable so most go with the 250x cable which is a few inches longer. Just do a search to find what year you need

dr qwerty
09-22-2009, 07:10 PM
any pictures on running down the frame, this just doesn't seem right, all these people with after market exhaust and i doubt they all have that cable mod done...

Moto Pro472
09-22-2009, 08:04 PM
Here I did the search for you...

Here you go (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=394298&highlight=clutch+cable)

Credit goes to pipeless for the pic...

This is the best approach I believe and no not everyone with an aftermarket header has this mod done....

Since your cable is melted already you might as well spend a few bucks and do it right