PDA

View Full Version : small filter less power?

honda4life72
09-20-2009, 08:18 PM
i had a huge k and n filter on my esr intake. but basicly the k and n sucked in more dirt than air and i bought a uni for it. the uni is about the size of a 05 filter maybe smaller. will this hurt it badly?

09-20-2009, 08:31 PM
The majority of your power is coming from the airbox lid being open. Obviously the bigger the filter the better it is. More surface area means more air and its less likely to clog and hurt performance. The biggest change is filter elements for flow. I'm sure it will be fine though. I dont think you will really notice the difference. Is the 06+ filter/snorkel larger? I noticed on my 05 the filter isn't all that big I know the YFZ I had was like twice the size. The snorkel is about the 1/3 of the size of the ones on the 400ex. What gives? I can plug it with my thumb haha Really shows how corked up they are.

k4f5x0r
09-21-2009, 04:20 AM
Bigger filter doesnt neccesarily mean more power. Yes there is more surface area for air to come in, but that means less suction.

I know some people desinging intake's use complicated math equations to figure out the optimal air filter size... i just use my uni :p

Ruf Racing
09-21-2009, 08:01 AM
A larger filter gives more velocity, equals more HP! Call Dasa
Racing, they'll explain it for you. :D