PDA

View Full Version : Rincon 680 Transmission

thescull
09-20-2009, 07:24 PM
My 08 Rincon does not shift well until 1/2 mile out or so then shifts fine the rest of the day normally, on my last ride however, we stopped for a brake and when we took off again it failed to shift again for a couple hundred yards or so and finally it came around and did fine for the final 5 miles or so, this happens in both man/auto switch. I have friends with Rincons and have not heard of this problem, I have 97 Hours on it.

86 Quad R
09-21-2009, 02:29 PM
according to the service manual it can be the ecm, tcm or the main valve body. more than likely its the valve body. you still have warranty?

thescull
09-21-2009, 03:56 PM
no warranty left, must do teardown to know for sure?

honda400ex2003
09-21-2009, 09:10 PM
my dads dstops like that when it is cold. i am interested to find out what comes from this now. we had our honda rep look at ours and he said, "it is normal to do that" lol. it whistles on and off too until it is warmed up. ours is a 650 though too so i dont really know. i guess maybe i will have to tear into it one day and look at the stuff listed. steve

thescull
09-22-2009, 06:21 AM
I do alot of mudhole and creek riding, My friend is a very good mechanic and Honda fanatic, he advised me to unplug the electrical connectors and dry everything out and then treat with a good contact treatment and reseal them, he was very confident that this would solve my problem and im doing this now, Ill keep you updated. Thanks in advance.

86 Quad R
09-22-2009, 07:16 AM
just out of curiosity...... is the computer flashing any sort of trouble codes?

thescull
09-22-2009, 07:30 AM
Not sure, havent hooked it up to read codes if thats what u mean, I have no warning lites or alarms, not sure if I would or if it has those features.

86 Quad R
09-22-2009, 07:36 AM
you need the service manual i believe......... it tells you how to trip the computer. its been awhile since i've worked on one therefor i cant remember the sequince of buttons to push. :(

Z15
09-22-2009, 07:37 AM
I have a 2006 Rincon and my trans works flawlessly.

Since you did not mention oil levels I wonder if this could be the problem?

The Rincon use a automotive style transmission/torque converter and its very sensitive to the oil level. The engine and the trans share the same oil. If you are low on oil the shifts will be slow and sometimes lurch into the next gear. If you are overfull it will shift erratically.

The Rincon requires a special procedure for checking the oil. YOU MUST run the engine for 3-5 minutes, turn off engine, remove and clean dipstick and check the oil after 2-3 minutes. The oil should be between the 2 lines on the dipstick with closer to top line the preferred level. Failure to follow this procedure will give you inaccurate results. Many make the mistake of checking it without running it first and they see the oil as over full and drain it out only to be low on oil during use.

Many times shifting concerns can be traced to improper oil levels.

Also be aware you MUST NOT use automotive oils that contain the words "Energy Conserving" on the label. Those oil are formulate to reduce friction and your Honda trans needs a certain amount of friction to function correctly.

thescull
09-22-2009, 07:47 AM
Great info my friend, I changed the oil after purchasing this atv used, I simply used the specified amount of oil per owners manual and used the honda oil/filter as well but did not follow the guidelines as you described, thanks a bunch and I will check it per your advice.

86 Quad R
09-22-2009, 07:48 AM
you are correct Z15. it's been awhile since i worked on one of these. :ermm:

Z15
09-22-2009, 08:00 AM
fyi

I use a Wix filter #24938. Its a lot cheaper (at least 1/2 price at retail) than oem and the quality is the same. Whats more the Wix comes with the 2 "O" rings that are extra cost with the Oem.

I been using the Wix since mine was new and before that on my 2 Ranchers.

honda400ex2003
09-22-2009, 06:28 PM
good to know, i will check it when i am home next from school. thanks a ton. steve