PDA

View Full Version : Oil capacity

DirtyTitan
09-20-2009, 01:53 PM
Just picked up 01' 400ex and have been doing a little maintence. Cleaned and lubed the chain, cleaned the K&N and changed oil. The guy at the shop told me the capacity was 2.1 quarts. I asked if 2 quarts would work and he said yes thats what most guys do. So i bought 2 quarts of 20w50 and went about my way. Completed the oil change and started the bike up to let it oil run through the motor. shut it down to check the oil level and it's not even on the stick. Whats the deal?

jelrod05
09-20-2009, 01:59 PM
if it has an aftermarket oil tank it will take 3 qts of oil.

DirtyTitan
09-20-2009, 02:05 PM
Looks stock. Going to pick up another quart and just go little by little.

mcgrath
09-20-2009, 05:47 PM
If you put 2 quarts in, its full. Dont put anymore in, the motor will adjust the levels in the motor and the tank. The proper way to check oil is to let idle for 5 min stop engine and check the oil level.

DirtyTitan
09-20-2009, 05:56 PM
Ya thats pretty much what i did. I let it idle for about 3 or 4 minutes, shut it off..... then i checked and it wasnt even on the stick.

mcgrath
09-20-2009, 06:28 PM
well the factory spec is 1.95 qaurts for an oil and filter change. The machine needs to be warmed up to get a proper reading. I dont even check the oil level after I do a change because I know it has the right amount in it. If the oil pump is working properly it will level out the oil on its own. Let it idle for 5 min without snapping the throttle. Also make sure the filter is in the right way, you can put it in backwards and that might not let the oil level out. I have never done this so Im not sure but I know you can put the filter in backwards.

DirtyTitan
09-20-2009, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by mcgrath
well the factory spec is 1.95 qaurts for an oil and filter change. The machine needs to be warmed up to get a proper reading. I dont even check the oil level after I do a change because I know it has the right amount in it. If the oil pump is working properly it will level out the oil on its own. Let it idle for 5 min without snapping the throttle. Also make sure the filter is in the right way, you can put it in backwards and that might not let the oil level out. I have never done this so Im not sure but I know you can put the filter in backwards.

Well thats good to know. I got the filter right so i guess im ok. Really appreciate the help.

dariusld
09-20-2009, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by mcgrath
The proper way to check oil is to let idle for 5 min stop engine and check the oil level.

This is not the proper way, according to the manual.

DirtyTitan
09-20-2009, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by dariusld
enlighten me please..... im new

bergoff
09-20-2009, 08:17 PM
i have had a xl600, xr650l and a 400ex. they all have the same oil tank set up. it takes a little getting used to. just make sure that the filter is in the right way. drain plugs are in. and fill it up. let it run for a few minutes and check it. you will be fine. i dont even check the 400 any more. cause it will be fine.

bigbad400
09-21-2009, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by dariusld

thats what my manual says to do:huh

also i know alot of people around my parts with 400ex's and they all do the same thing. the local honda shop said thats the only way to get it to read properly, he said the only other thing to do is run it down the road for 10 min and get it hot, then let it idle for a few to smooth the levels out, but i have done both and found the same result every time, 2 quarts and the level is perfect.

dariusld
09-21-2009, 10:16 AM
"The proper way to check oil is to let idle for 5 min stop engine and check the oil level."
The proper way to check oil is to let idle for 5 min stop engine and wait a "few minutes" then check the oil level. Make sure your on level ground and insert, but don't screw in the dipstick.

BamBam730
09-21-2009, 12:14 PM
FYI- Dont always trust the dealer for info. The honda dealer by me swears its three quarts, until I showed them it said 1.9 and I was only buying the filter there. This is before I sold my ex.

bigbad400
09-22-2009, 07:19 AM
i trust my book, but fyi i am a can am dealer and i dont trust me sometimes. id never trust a dealer on a mod'd machine anyhow, only a pro race shop or something. i do all my own work for the most part.