PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a '94 300ex

HondaRaceReady
09-20-2009, 01:29 PM
I got it for $1000. It needs a little work because it was sitting for the last 10 years. The carb was all gummed up, but I already took care of that. The gas tank is the problem. There is hardly any fuel getting to the carb. Its a steel gas tank and when I looked inside it looked completely rusted, but it was actually old fuel gunk. Its so bad I really just want a new gas tank. Are all the 300ex gas tanks steel, or just the old ones? And if the newer ones are plastic, would it fit mine? Im just asking cause I doubt honda still makes parts for a 94. Everything else is in good shape.

dirtdawg
09-20-2009, 04:07 PM
I have a 94 as well. old ones have the steel / metal tanks. my fuel system wasn't good either. i took out the tank and washed it out with water. you have to make sure that it is totally dry though. clean the fuel filter with carb cleaner. check out the air box and the filter as well. Those tanks aren't designed very well. You need to have plenty of gas in them because when you have next to nothing, it sits in the top part and doesn't go to where the petcock is. you could probably put newer tanks in but i didn't bother.

sd1
09-20-2009, 04:15 PM
i'm pretty sure the tanks on the 300 are still metal to this day......if the tank is not rusted badly you can get the gunk out and remove and disassemble the petcock assembly and fuel filter....or i've seen used tanks on ebay for about 50.00 or so..if you want a plastic one IMS makes a nice oversize one for about 250.00..but I believe you need to run a taller steering stem to run that tank.....make sure you replace the fuel line also and you might want to add an in line fuel filter if you decide to use the old tank just in case...

HondaRaceReady
09-20-2009, 07:08 PM
I checked on service honda and all 300ex's use the steel tank. Not sure about the 300x though. Im just going to powerwash it out real good and replace the fuel filter in the petcock. Hopefully after that the fuel will flow.

no1 300ex
09-20-2009, 07:28 PM
I would go with the oversized plastic tank http://www.justgastanks.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_19_204&products_id=224 if the old steel one turns out to be nfg. I have a stock tank on mine and it will only hold enough fuel for about a 3 hr ride.

stuntin andy
09-22-2009, 11:16 AM
i wonder if u could get a 400ex tank 2 fit =o.... i have all ways wondered that...they are plastic and i think they are bigger

rooster300ex
10-03-2009, 07:23 AM
all 300ex's parts are the same. the only difference i've seen through the years is the lil plastic snorkel that plugs up to the carb boot