PDA

View Full Version : Elkas

dobber21
09-20-2009, 07:55 AM
I have heard alot of bad things about elkas, like not being able to get the valving right, but i still see alot of ppl running them. wats the advantage of them, just curious are they cheap enough or are they about the same price as everything else?

Scro
09-20-2009, 09:48 AM
Their valving is less specific than the other shock manufacturers. Instead of setting up a shock specifically for your weight, they have weight ranges (i.e. 170-185, 185-200, etc.) They are a bit cheaper, but more than likely you will need to send them to have them revalved and resprung by someone else. You could find a nice used set, have them rebuilt, and they would be like brand new when you get them back.

dobber21
09-20-2009, 10:55 AM
where would be a good place to send them

Scro
09-20-2009, 12:42 PM
C&D Racing is a site sponsor, and they will do a good job. Nice people to work with, also.

jimmyjames1700
09-20-2009, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by dobber21
where would be a good place to send them

If you get some and aren't happy with them, send them off to Clark Jones at Noleen J6. He tunes supsensions for many of the top pros and used to tune the Elka's on Doug Gusts Championship winning Z400. I had him rebiuld the stock shocks I had on my KFX450R after I sold the GT rebuilds that weren't working for me. Clark hit it right on the first try.

https://j6shocks.com/Home_Page.php

Lquad71
09-21-2009, 08:18 PM
pep down in california

wayne knows his sh#t. im sure he taught baldwin the same stuff but when we went down to wayne's shop he had all different kinds of shocks including fox floats, elkas, ktm, and even stock honda...they are the nicest i have ever felt too.

300racer
09-22-2009, 09:10 PM
i have ran fox, axis, and revalves and i have some elka's i got when i bought my quad from 4 stroke tech. i don't know if they had some one else valve them or if elka did it but they are the best feeling shock through rough stuff i have ever rode on!