PDA

View Full Version : 416 blew up

jasonwayne222
09-19-2009, 08:04 PM
i have a 01 bored to 416 11:1 comp. wiseco piston. Shaved head. well it started smoking after 10 hours. then i decided to put some c10 in it. mixed about 1/4 c10 to 3/4 supreme. and after 30 min. i lost all power and wouldnt start.

When I pulled it apart I found that the bearings on the cam had slid off the cam. both intake valves are ****ed. and my piston has marks from all the valves contacting it. I had two bolts missing in the valve cover so that maybe why the bearings backed off. and maybe the valves touched the piston from the cam jumpin around in there. but i the piston is fly cut for the valves. so i want to put a stage 2 cam along with fixing the other problems but im scared it will cause the valves to contact the piston.

any feedback? I really want to put a new cam.

TRXRacer1
09-19-2009, 08:32 PM
Someone forget the cam stays?

Gibson
09-19-2009, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by TRXRacer1

sounds like they did

F-16Guy
09-20-2009, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by TRXRacer1

I'd say that's why the cam bearings walked off the end of the cam and caused the cam to scatter the valves. I'd have to guess that the smoking (something that you can't fix with race fuel :blah: ) was caused by the cam bearings being installed incorrectly in the first place. If the bearing with the rubber seal isn't installed on the right side with the seal facing out, the oil that is supposed to be forced into the cam and through the journals just bypasses directly into the head and you loose all of your oil pressure; thus, the smoking.

jasonwayne222
09-21-2009, 08:11 AM
hmm well i dont remember how the bearings were in there. but what are yall calling cam stays. and im pretty sure that the three stripped out bolts on the rocker cover were the cause.

I smoothed out the piston burrs, which were minimal. honed the cylinder. got new rings. And I helicoiled the messed up threads so I can bolt down the rocker cover right now
new

HD cam chain
stage 2 cam
new valves
valve seals
jet kit for carb.

And I have a slip on exhaust

Any suggestions or comments.

F-16Guy
09-21-2009, 08:24 AM
There are two hollow steel dowels that slip into holes in the head on either end of the cam. They prevent the cam and cam bearings from shifting to one side or the other.

There are two ball bearings that support the ends of the camshaft. One of these bearings has a rubber seal. That bearing must be on the gear side of the cam with the rubber seal facing outward. That seal forces the oil that comes up through the passage in the side of the cylinder into the cam and through the cam journals so that the top end is lubricated.

Having three stripped rocker cover bolts probably wouldn't cause any significant problems other than a little oil leakage on the outside of the cover. They certainly wouldn't have caused any damage to the cam or valves.

You can see one of the cam stays and the green rubber cam bearing seal here:
http://www.lspsonline.com/howto/400ex%20hotcam/14.jpg

jasonwayne222
09-21-2009, 08:40 AM
ok i think yall are right

Thanks! well it should really hook up right after i go back together with it this time with all the power adders. and I have an old school engine guy helpin me so its all comin together now
thanks

Cam stays. :mad: :mad: :mad: :devil: :devil: :macho