PDA

View Full Version : Carb fine tuning

IcutMetl
09-19-2009, 07:38 PM
I replaced the 38PJ on my 250R with a worked 38 airstriker. Not sure where to start out on jetting; I kept it exactly the same with a 175 main, 48 pilot, but changed the needle to a DDJ on the middle clip.

It seems to run about 90%+. Pretty good for a first time try. Starts pretty easily, clears out well, seems to have a good idle, and doesn't have any flat spots, bogs, or hesitations right up thru the top rpm's (that I can tell at least). Throttle response is actually pretty crisp when I crack the gas, especially when I'm out riding and whack the gas up near the powerband. Seems to respond well. Like I've heard on here...the airstriker seems to pull just a tad more (def. not any less) off the bottom compared with the PJ. Unfortunately, I didn't take the one off and immediately put the other on...there's been a couple month time frame here.

One thing I did notice, and maybe it's just me not having ridden it in a few months, but it seems to stall a tad easier and likes just a slight amount of throttle when starting especially when warm. Another thing I noticed is that while the choke works great to start it with, it doesn't kill the engine when it's warm like you'd expect it to...the idle just rises.

I have not checked the plug yet; definitely will get a good plug read the next time I'm out on it.

Like I said...it is definitely not running bad...but I'd like to clear up the few small issues.