PDA

View Full Version : Rode her for the first time today.

rigger
09-19-2009, 06:08 PM
Took the R to the woods today for her first test run. It was a shorter ride than I wanted it to be due to a fuel issue.

I had a petcock that was leaking just a tad so I pulled it off and re-sealed it with a rubber gasket that I made and little bit of silicone. Well, long story short of me trying to figure out why she would not start at the trail head, turns out that I have a rather large blockage at the petcock. I thought I had it cleaned out enough after I figured it out but after about 5 miles of trail, it just got so stoped up that it could not keep up with the carb. So I kept running out of gas.

But she ran good while she ran. I think jetting is pretty close. Plug is burning a nice light tan. It still has a little bog off of the bottm but only if I really chop the throttle to it hard. Maybe this is just a characteristic of this motor?

Suspension is a lot better than what I thought it would be. I know a lot of people rag on Works shocks but I was pretty impressed with them. It is a plus two front end with non res tripple rates. And a Works rear that was built for the same weight and ride stlye that I am. Both ends felt really good and planted. Traction was good and the ride was great.

Only other bug I found was I guess I need to get an anti fad for the rear axle. I tightened the stock nut with a 24" cresent and it came loose in about 5-8 miles of trail ride. Is there a cheap fix or trick to the stock nut or is an anti fade the only answer? Or does anybody have a cheap anti fade they want to get rid of? I saw some on ebay for like $50 for a new anti fad nut. Any body tried one of these? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360189528804&viewitem=&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2&category=43974

Well enough of me running on about my day. Just thought I would share my first ride.

Honda 250r 001
09-19-2009, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by rigger
Took the R to the woods today for her first test run. It was a shorter ride than I wanted it to be due to a fuel issue.

I had a petcock that was leaking just a tad so I pulled it off and re-sealed it with a rubber gasket that I made and little bit of silicone. Well, long story short of me trying to figure out why she would not start at the trail head, turns out that I have a rather large blockage at the petcock. I thought I had it cleaned out enough after I figured it out but after about 5 miles of trail, it just got so stoped up that it could not keep up with the carb. So I kept running out of gas.

But she ran good while she ran. I think jetting is pretty close. Plug is burning a nice light tan. It still has a little bog off of the bottm but only if I really chop the throttle to it hard. Maybe this is just a carteristic of this motor?

Suspension is a lot better than what I thought it would be. I know a lot of people rag on Works shocks but I was pretty impressed with them. It is a plus two front end with non res tripple rates. And a Works rear that was built for the same weight and ride stlye that I am. Both ends felt really good and planted. Traction was good and the ride was great.

Only other bug I found was I guess I need to get an anti fad for the rear axle. I tightened the stock nut with a 24" cresent and it came loose in about 5-8 miles of trail ride. Is there a cheap fix or trick to the stock nut or is an anti fade the only answer? Or does anybody have a cheap anti fade they want to get rid of? I saw some on ebay for like $50 for a new anti fad nut. Any body tried one of these? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360189528804&viewitem=&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2&category=43974

Well enough of me running on about my day. Just thought I would share my first ride.

i had the same probs with the stock axle nut, in the middle of a moto it would come loose. But i bought a rad axle nut off ebay for 15 bucks. Its just a huge nut that goes on the stock threads and it has a bolt that you clamp it down. im not sure how well it works, but it has to be better than stock.

rigger
09-19-2009, 06:18 PM
That sounds like the same thing I saw on ebay. It is a lot cheaper than a real anti fade. I would think it would work just fine since it has the pinch bolt effect to it.

Anybody ever tried just putting lock tight on the stock axle nut? Did it work? That would be a cheap temp fix if it worked.

mxduner
09-19-2009, 06:44 PM
the locktite is that, just a temp. fix, but it does help.
that rad on ebay should work. i got a similar 1 that works great

Swiper77
09-19-2009, 07:05 PM
Don't use locktite, just wrap nut and threads with electrical tape. I done this for years it keeps your threads clean and lock nut stays tight.

atv fan 28
09-19-2009, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Swiper77
Don't use locktite, just wrap nut and threads with electrical tape. I done this for years it keeps your threads clean and lock nut stays tight. i just got my 250r a few months and it had electrical tape wrapped around the nut and threads. i didnt know what the purpose of it was until now!

IcutMetl
09-19-2009, 07:29 PM
I still have the stock anti-fade nut on mine and have never had it come loose. The nut has some age and use on it, too. I use Loctite 242, the blue medium strength removable stuff. I make sure the threads are as clean as possible (wire brush), then I back off the locking ring and spray down with carb/brake cleaner- let it dry. Liberally apply loctite and tighten the piss out of it. But that's just the luck I've had, I'm sure it's given other people's fits. My buddy's Banshee constantly loosens up the nut...along with every other accessory fastener; I think Loctite was invented for Banshees.

86 Quad R
09-19-2009, 08:49 PM
i too use the same method as IcutMetl but use hi-temp rtv. for it to be effective you must coat the threads that are under both nuts. once they are jambed together and allowed to set all is goed. :cool:

woodsracer144
09-19-2009, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Swiper77
Don't use locktite, just wrap nut and threads with electrical tape. I done this for years it keeps your threads clean and lock nut stays tight.

X2