PDA

View Full Version : Wyotech?

ryansblaster
09-19-2009, 11:49 AM
Recently Ive become very interested in wyotech. Ive looked into it and like that I can come back anytime I want to review the class for free. But I dont know a whole lot about cars except the basics like changing oil, brake pads and things like that. Do they teach you even the smallest repairs? or do they just assume if your going their you know how? Just wanting to see if this is something I might want to do.

250rAL
09-20-2009, 09:42 AM
I haven't read good things about it. It's graduates are generally laughed at by real techs. I'd do a little googling on it before spending a bunch of money there.

TN_cowboy
09-20-2009, 10:04 AM
i was gonna go there to but like said above they laugh at you. they do tech you everything. like you dont know nothin bout motors and the like. its not only cars or trucks it is the parts that make them work.

Nick110
09-20-2009, 11:25 AM
I went and visited the one in PA because I was in the same situation as you. They said they had like a 75% job placement rate after you are done. It was also a top notch facility. i dont know about being laughed at because you get taught a lot of stuff the right way. Everyone has to start somewhere and why not be taught by professionals and learn the rest at your job after. Only down fall to me was the 33gs price tag and them making me take my gauges out. haha

witech
09-20-2009, 01:34 PM
To become a tech I would first recomend you take every automotive and industrial class in high school . You should be able to tear down and rebuild the engine in your car and be able to do any standard automotive projects without issue. Know how to use a computer be able to deal with difficult problems without having temper tentrums. (throwing wrenches).
That would be the basics before even considering being a tech as a career and going to a training facility.
I in fact went to Wyotech(Laramie) back in the 80's for diesel when the new electronic engines were first introduced. I would say they were as good a training as you could get . Hands on with a minimum of 8hour days. It was just like having a job except you payed them. Ive never heard of any of the techs I went with ever being laughed at by "real " techs but as in all fields an apprentice tech will the low man until they get several years experience in the field. If you want to make the good money as a tech you better be comfortable with wiring and electronic diagnostics or you will be changing oil and doing brake jobs for less cash than those working the counter at fast food.

Good luck.

ryansblaster
09-20-2009, 08:06 PM
I am taking autobody right now then my senior year next year I am taking auto tech

brian76708
09-20-2009, 10:26 PM
IMO look at programs at a community collleges you will get just as good of a education there as you will get at wyotech at a much lesser price.