PDA

View Full Version : Shock Curious

859davidt
09-18-2009, 08:01 PM
Anyone dig into the inside of there shocks and set them up them self? I always here the Shock manufactures say that they are owner rebuildable and blah, blah. But how difficult or easy is it to understand what really is going on in there. I spend thousands every year and I am tired of it. Just spent alot w/ ?????????? on the practice bike, my wife's bike and my bike on service and oh yeah you needed that because it was bad. Just had most of this done at the beginning of the season and now we have to change it again beacause of blah, blah. Any one know of a shock school I can attend w/ out hearing about the rest of the bike?

mxduner
09-18-2009, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by 859davidt
Anyone dig into the inside of there shocks and set them up them self? I always here the Shock manufactures say that they are owner rebuildable and blah, blah. But how difficult or easy is it to understand what really is going on in there. I spend thousands every year and I am tired of it. Just spent alot w/ ?????????? on the practice bike, my wife's bike and my bike on service and oh yeah you needed that because it was bad. Just had most of this done at the beginning of the season and now we have to change it again beacause of blah, blah. Any one know of a shock school I can attend w/ out hearing about the rest of the bike? I believe race tech put's one on. my axis book i believe describes the r & r process

ZBlaster
09-18-2009, 09:29 PM
GTThunder puts on a few shock classes every year. Information is usually on their website.

I'll change springs, and that's about it. A good suspension guy is worth his weight in gold to me.

SRH
09-18-2009, 11:17 PM
rebuilding or valving and re springing? rebuilding ...changing seal heads shouldnt be too bad, i dont know how hard ro $$ it is to get the gas and keep it on hand, shocks are mechanical like any other part of a quad nothing magical you just need the tools and equipment im sure you could do it...

revalving, and setting them up is an art all on its own, time , expirience, patience and im sure you could tackle that, id rather just pay for a professional to do them doesnt pay for the average joe unless your looking for a new hobby or business endeavor

TRXman86
09-19-2009, 12:23 AM
A few weeks ago you could go to their web site and see the technical manual, but they have changed the site and removed it... a-holes... It's pretty easy to do though. You can do it your self.

859davidt
09-19-2009, 03:26 AM
Thanks for the input guys. As far as tuning from track to track and sprind changes, I do that pretty regular. I am wanting to get more internal with these things. I don't understand why we have to pay to add this valve stack or take some valving out and turn around a few months later and I have to pay the same guy to do the opposite beacause they feel its not working or blah,blah. Hopefully I can find one of these school's and I will quit complaining and have better understanding of it.

Thanks,

TRXman86
09-19-2009, 10:05 PM
You can do revalves on stock shocks also. Try to find someone with a bad one, bent, broke or whatever and toy with it. Tear it down and see whats involved. 90% of the time you can get a better feel by full hands on. I normally try new stuff like that and learn more then a school can teach me... Just take notes and take pics of how everything comes out. The larger the washer (valve) the less rider weight they take, more fluid moves thru, smaller washer more rider weight. That's inside diameter though. You will notice if ya get any to tear into...They are not hard, you just have to know how to do them. I will try to find my paper work and explain it a bit better...