PDA

View Full Version : Couple questions on new 450x break in

rinaldi
09-17-2009, 07:20 PM
The quad is due to arrive Wed. and dealer said the break-in is 10 hours at 1/2 throttle or less. I will read the manual when it arrives, but want to get some input. Did you guys install an hour meter to monitor your hours? Also, what comes with the quad new? The dealer said Can Am supplies an oil filter to ensure the owner changes the oil within the break in and also said the quad runs on synthetic. Do you run synthetic from day one or go thru an initial break in first?

Blizzard24
09-17-2009, 07:47 PM
I ran the Can Am oil for the first stage of break in, then went to Mobil 1 synthetic

As for the actual break in... you are going to get 10 differetn answers. I personally have my quad go through a few 15 minute heat cycles, then run it pretty hard (Inconsistant throttle)

rinaldi
09-17-2009, 07:52 PM
I have owned dozens of street bikes since I was 18, now 40. That seemed to be the best from my perspective, vary the throttle during break-in. Do you only do this for a short duration, not the 10 hours as stated ( I am assuming in the manual).

BSTURDIVANT
09-17-2009, 08:37 PM
Put about an hr. on it at a motocross style track up to 3/4 throttle.
A motocross track lets you be on and off the throttle alot!
Keep check on fluids and don't get overly hot! Then hammer down!!!

Blizzard24
09-18-2009, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by rinaldi
I have owned dozens of street bikes since I was 18, now 40. That seemed to be the best from my perspective, vary the throttle during break-in. Do you only do this for a short duration, not the 10 hours as stated ( I am assuming in the manual).

I did not do this for 10 hrs, I ran the quad for a couple of heat cycles in my yard then brought my quad to a local riding place and put it through its paces... like BSTURDIVANT said, only 3/4 throttle and varying the throttle.

I was at about hr 5 for my first race this past year. I am not saying this is right, but I am saying she runs strong and no issues and I just put a complete XC season on w 2 hr races.