PDA

View Full Version : Does a 88-89 CDI work on a 86 harness?

oachs83
09-17-2009, 04:03 PM
I have a 1986 250r with 86 harness. Thinking CDI is bad but my other CDI is a 1988-89 CDI. I get no spark with that box. Does this mean the 88-89 CDI does not work with 86-87 harness?

If the 89 box will work on the harness then riddle me this. I have now 4 CDI box's. 2 are for 86-87 on of these is a hot shots aftermarket box and 2 for 88-89 stock box's. I have brand new stator and coil. I only can get spark from the aftermarket hot shot box and no spark at all out of the rest of the 3. What the heck would that be then?

unit32
09-17-2009, 04:10 PM
Didn't you post a similar prob about having some wires you didn't know where they went? I thought you said you got it running?

oachs83
09-17-2009, 04:27 PM
Super long story and did not want to confuse anyone so I posted seperate. The post "not sure of what the wires where" is when I had the 89 harness, CDI and stator on. I couldn't get spark and thought it may be stator. I had a brand new stator but for a 86. So I then put the 86 harness on to use the new stator and I got spark from the 'hot shots" CDI but not the other two. It runs like crap, super flat and I did a leakdown test and several different carbs and everything I can think of. No matter what I did it ran the exact same way. I now am thinking CDI could be bad. I bought one that was said to work and said to be a 86. I got it today and it is a 88-89 CDI. So once again I only get spark from the "Hot Shots" CDI. Kind of confusing isn't it. So now I want to know if a 88-89 CDI will work on a 86 harness? If so I know all my CDI's are bad. If not I will then put the 89 harness/stator back on and try the CDI I just recieved.

rigger
09-17-2009, 05:08 PM
I put both on an 86 set up and they both fired and started the R. I did not ride them so I could not tell you if one performed better than the other. They were only started in the garage to see if they worked.

regg187
09-17-2009, 05:11 PM
the same dyna tek works in all 4 years. so then I guess, the stock OEMS will interchange, maybe not run the best, but interchange!

oachs83
09-17-2009, 05:23 PM
OK then what I have three OEM CDI's now and one aftermarket. What are the chances that all three OEM CDI's I have are broke?

Also when I had the 89 harness on at the time I only had 3 CDi's (not 4) and could not get any spark out of all three of them. I put the 86 harness on and I was able to get spark out of the aftermarket hot shot CDI. Only catch is the 89 harness had two bullet wires green and black where the stator connects in that I was not sure of. I was told they are probably off a harness with a key. If those are unplugged will I get spark or is there a way to bypass the key ignition part?

oachs83
09-17-2009, 06:51 PM
Guess what? I answered my own question. No a 89 OEM CDI will not work with a 86 harness. I could not get any spark with the 86 harness on a 89 CDI, threw in the 89 harness/stator and spark. To top it off I think I fixed my problem. The thing flat out rips, I am an old late 80's CR250 guy. I have owned a bunch of them and love those era bikes. This thing is like a CR250 on 4 wheels!! Now I know I am not out of the woods yet as I only took it for a ride around the block for about 30 seconds but I know I am definantly heading forward now. I will have to spend a day this weekend getting her warmed up and properly jetted. Thanks to all that gave a hand in my troubles, I'm sure I will be back on here with some other problem.

86 Quad R
09-17-2009, 07:10 PM
glad you got it figured out. after all of the hair pulling hours, its all worth it isnt it? good luck with dailing it in this weekend. :cool: