PDA

View Full Version : help!!!

400EX_n_NC
01-12-2003, 05:27 PM
hey guys....
awesome forums here. i have a 2003 400EX that is still stock. i rode it for the last time 2 weeks ago and all was well....i tried starting yesterday and it wont start:mad: i replaced the spark plug and its firing fine. i can smell gas when cranking but the plug looks dry and new when i pull it. i pulled the air filter and cleaned it again. also checked the vent tube on the gas cap...no joy! this seems like a simple problem but i dont want to do more damage because im no expert when it comes to carbs. ive been told numerous times they come stock jetted wrong...think thats my problem? any help will be much appreciated!!!

sly400ex
01-12-2003, 05:40 PM
How cold is it where you live? The reason why I ask is because it can be a bear to start these things when it gets a little colder out. Yes, you are correct about tthe jetting. The pilot jet is a little small in them things, stock is 38, bump it up to a 42 and that should get you started. I don't even have a choke on my 400 and I can start easily in sub-freezing weather. Hope this helps.

400EX_n_NC
01-12-2003, 05:51 PM
the weather is crazy here....freezing one day and 65 degrees the next. its always hard to start but this time i got nothing. so just changing the pilot jet fixed yours up? i was waiting to rejet until i had the money for a pipe but maybe i should go ahead and try it. what do you think?

sly400ex
01-12-2003, 05:56 PM
It did fix my hard starting problems without a doubt. Give it a shot. The pilot jet doesn't really have any thing to do with the performance once it's running or which pipe you use. It more or less richens the fuel when you first initially go to start it. Once you got it in there just pump the gas a few times and it should start right up!!!!

jb400exxx
01-12-2003, 05:58 PM
yea sly, mine is the same way. i removed my choke, and put in the 42 pilot when i did my pipe and filter, and it starts right up, no matter what temperature it is. sometimes i have to pump the throttle 2 or 3 times but that's it. fires right up and idles with no problem.

400EX_n_NC
01-12-2003, 06:01 PM
sweet!! so do you think that is my current problem though? it really seems like the fuel isnt getting there at all. also...what about adjusting the pilot screw? ive read alot, but once again...dont want to cause more problems for myself!

sly400ex
01-12-2003, 06:05 PM
I can just about gurantee you that is your problem. I don't know about adjustments, I just replaced it and it worked out fine.

400EX_n_NC
01-12-2003, 06:06 PM
i dont want to sound like a moron, so please bear with me...but how do i remove the choke? it does nothing for me and i havent been using it at alluntil these problems came up. this isnt really a pressing issue right now since i cant even start the thing!!! but i was curious. i dont want to take it to the dealer just yet because i think its something simple and my dealer hasnt been the best so far.

01-12-2003, 06:08 PM
it could be a very simple problem like is the gas on? Do u have gas in it? Is the battery weak? Is the killswitch switch on the on position? maybe its that simple:blah

400EX_n_NC
01-12-2003, 06:12 PM
i did cover those...but i know what you mean haha ive cranked for a few minutes before and had the switch off. i jumped it to make sure i didnt kill the battery because i messed with it until i got so mad and it was too late to go to the track. appreciate the help though!!

sly400ex
01-12-2003, 06:16 PM
here ya go....

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9144

400EX_n_NC
01-12-2003, 06:27 PM
hey sly...that link wouldnt work. so ill have to try it when i get home and im not on this computer i guess. im leary of pulling the carb apart but i guess its the best way to learn eh? it just sucks having a new bike that wont start!! i can hear the suzuki homos parked beside me talking already though! they love to see the red guys having problems..hahaha

sly400ex
01-12-2003, 06:36 PM
don't let em' know it won't start! lol.....try the link again, I fixed it.

jb400exxx
01-12-2003, 06:46 PM
my 400ex starts easier than my friends Z-400. his is running really bad now. it's all stock but i think his jetting might be off because of it being cold outside. it keeps bogging down, and doesn't like to idle.

400EX_n_NC
01-12-2003, 07:20 PM
well boys....its my first night on here and im loving it!! hahaha about those z-400's.....im gonna do my best to let them think im just rejetting:D but they know who reins on the track. the give me **** everytime we start up though because my ex is so tempermental. i came here tonight just to get some insight on what my problem may be....now im seriously considering taking the choke off and rejetting it....tonight after work! after reading everyones input, i really think it was just the cold weather thats causing all of this, but maybe its just wishful thinking. i guess only time will tell. tahnks for the link though sly....ill definately use it when in remove mine!