PDA

View Full Version : completely submerdged my 400ex upside down

bigdady536
09-17-2009, 01:48 AM
I was wondering what to do now that i completely sunk my 4 wheeler. I just drained the oil and it was grey so i put a bunch more oil through it to clean it out as best as i can. What else should i do. It went into a lake for about 25 minutes before we could get it out. It shut of went it went into the lake so what steps should i do before i start riding it again. I have started it up to get the old oil out while flushing it out with new oil. I have about three more flushes before it is back to pretty much gunk free. Please if you guys have any ideas let me know thanks Mike

VTredneckgames
09-17-2009, 05:41 AM
open up the valve access plugs on the top and leave them off for awhile to help some of the moisture dry out of the motor. Buy a carb rebuild kit. Or at the least, take it apart and clean it. Clean the airfilter. Wipe out the intake tubes.

Pay close attention when you fire the motor back up. If the motor hydrolocked it could have bent a valve or the rod. It doesnt always happen but it could happen.

Two weeks ago I buried my cousins dirbike up to the seat in a puddle at WV. It didnt look that deep. You got any pics??

gt400ex
09-17-2009, 12:30 PM
Along with what is posted above you may want to check the exhaust packing.

BamBam730
09-21-2009, 10:25 AM
Any updates on how its running?

bigdady536
09-22-2009, 10:22 PM
I still have it apart and letting it air out have not had a chance to put it back together. I will do a valve adjustment just before putting it back together and I will keep you posted when I put it together hopefully in the next few days. I think everything should be fine but well see.

heebs12
09-22-2009, 11:09 PM
The motor is only at risk of hydro locking if water is in the cylinders correct? Once all is dry, turn it over without the plug to shoot out any excess water. Once its started drive it like you stole it to "burn out" any moisture in the lower. The same process is used when a jet ski sinks. Hope i have helped a bit,

Colin

mcgrath
09-23-2009, 06:22 PM
Heh done it many a time. This is our normal procedure. Pull the air box drain, Tip it on its end and let the water run out of the exhaust, pull the plug and turn it over to blow water out of the cyl, drop the oil, put it back together, add oil , fire it up. shut it down and drop the oil again. and repeat usually one more time to get all the water out. Fire it up and put your water wings back on. Ride on.