PDA

View Full Version : popup trailer converted to utility trailer?

Banshee_370
09-16-2009, 09:32 PM
local guy trying to get rid of an old pop up trailer. the camper has been removed and has a new pressure treated plywood floor. the trailer bed is 7' wide and 10' long. there is a rear section that was not floored but it can add about 2 ft of bed space with some more wood. the trailer has 12" tires on it.

my main question is, what is the maximum load i should be able to tow? my plan is to tow 3 bikes and maybe a box with some gear/gas in it.

i dont want to use something that will break on me.

thanks

matt14c
09-16-2009, 10:33 PM
Camper chasis/suspension hold quite a bit you will easily be able to haul what you want to. One of my buddys did this with an late 80's camper about the same size and put 4ft sides on it and uses it to haul dirt and things for his landscape buisness. I have actually been thinking of doing the same thing myself and using it as a utility trailer.

Guy400
09-17-2009, 05:31 AM
This is exactly what I have for a utility trailer. Someone was going to pitch it because the wheel bearings went bad so I took it. I bought a 2500lb. axle/wheel combo from TSC and then put a 5/8" treated plywood deck down. The most weight I had on it was my cousin's Rhino when he bought it and it pulled that with no problems at all (I think they're about 1200lbs.). My only problem is one of the leaf springs is soft so the trailer leans a little but I'm too cheap to replace them when the thing still works:D

Guy400
09-17-2009, 05:34 AM
Here's a pic.

Banshee_370
09-17-2009, 07:51 AM
yea i decided to grab it....200 bucks, figure if i want to play it safe i found a 3500 lb axle kit with new springs/bearings/hubs/mounting for like 130 bucks. cant go wrong. figure i can have a nice sized trailer for under 400 bucks