PDA

View Full Version : 450R, YFZ450, or KFX 450 Shocks?

childert79
09-16-2009, 09:24 AM
I'm trying to decide on which ones to get on my 400ex. I mainly ride trails and want to start cross country. I'm using stock arms but might get a set of +2's soon so what do yall recommend?

KISSmyACE
09-16-2009, 11:33 AM
YFZs

Ryan'07400ex
09-16-2009, 02:40 PM
I don't know from using any of them but some of the stuff ive found out by searching on here is:

YFZ shocks lower the front end (from stock) and are great for mx and soft enough for trails

trx450r shocks raise front end about 2 inch (from stock shocks) and are said to be a bit stiff for trails unless u get them off 04-05, this makes them good for the track though cause they wont bottom as easily

KFX shocks are supposed to lower it 1/8 of an inch which will be unoticable. Are good for track or trail supposed and may be able to find cheaper but supply is down (on ebay)

I've been trying forever now to get kfx450r shocks and I see a good deal and parents say no. Then I had my own money and I get outbid. What really annoyed me was this certain set on ebay, It was on there 4 times, the first two times no one bid cause it was a bit high 240 buy it now 180 starting bid... I had no money then, he put it back for same price stilll no money and no bids
Than the third time someone bought it now for 200, he lowered price, but he put them bac up a day later, guess they had no money haha. The forth time I had money and bid 170 thinking no way ima lose no ones bidding. Of course I dang lost by 2 dollars :(

sorry about boring story just telling ya soemthing kinda strange... maybe im not meant to change my stockers out :confused:

childert79
09-16-2009, 05:25 PM
Dude that sucks! I actually bought sum yfz450 shocks about a month back on ebay and got em for $100 shippped then get em and the damn things are bent after the guy said they were strait! I'll probly get sum kfx450 shocks cuz i gotta buddy swappin his out but dude check out the kfx400 shocks 2. i watched a set of works tripple rates with rezzies go 4 $200 yesterday! Just didn't have the money right then. Also will 250r rear shock work? Found a works triple with rezzie cheap.

Gibson
09-16-2009, 08:09 PM
i have a set of 04 450R fronts on mine. when i was still runni stock a-arms, they were a little stiff but they hardly ever bottomed out. I put my +2's on and they're almost perfect. they're not too soft or too stiff. if you plan on gettin +2's go with the 450R fronts. But if you plan on keepin your stock a-arms, get the YFZ fronts

ss440ex
09-16-2009, 11:04 PM
I have a set of like new front shocks off of a 2007 450r...

$200.00 plus shipping.

ben_400ex
09-18-2009, 03:56 AM
give sum thought to 05+ ltz400 shocks too mate, they are really plush

dustin_j
09-18-2009, 07:06 AM
Does someone with yfz fronts want to take some measurements?
-Eye to eye length? (extended length)
-Length from seal head to BOTTOM of bottom out bumper? (shaft travel)

Thanks,
Dustin

EDIT: It would probably be beneficial to post these measurements for all the shocks in discussion.

Ryan'07400ex
09-18-2009, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by dustin_j
Does someone with yfz fronts want to take some measurements?
-Eye to eye length? (extended length)
-Length from seal head to BOTTOM of bottom out bumper? (shaft travel)

Thanks,
Dustin

EDIT: It would probably be beneficial to post these measurements for all the shocks in discussion.

I'm sure you could find the measurements by searching but I was just gonna clear up what I said about those 450r shocks. The seller said each one has been a different pair actually cause the get new take offs daily. I hope I can win these, only problem is my parents say "it's never gonna end", and "do you really need that" :mad:

bkelley
11-06-2009, 11:36 AM
Gonna revive this thread and jack it. I was wondering if the other shocks (YFZs, LTRs and KFXs) are an easy fit on the EXs like the TRX450r ones are. I found a nice new set of KFX front take-offs for pretty cheap but I don't want the install to be a paint in the rear.

gt400ex
11-06-2009, 11:58 AM
Heres a link for a guy that did install some

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=381305&highlight=shocks

From what Ive read LTR shocks are are about the only ones that wont work on a 400 because they are to long.

bkelley
11-06-2009, 12:28 PM
I've seen some guys on here that list LTR fronts in their sigs. I think I have, anyways.

gt400ex
11-06-2009, 12:33 PM
I could be wrong about that, I believe thats what I have read anyway. I will tell you any shock will be better then the stockers. Not sure if you saw but I sent you a pm the other day trying to help with the carb question you had.

bkelley
11-06-2009, 12:42 PM
Oh yeah, I meant reply to that but got caught up in reading the thread haha. Thanks for that, I forgot about the "Most Popular" thread.

And yeah, anything is going to be better than stock, I just don't want to buy some shocks that end up not fitting or take hours to fit. I think for the most part you just grind/cut down the eye on the top of the shock and fit them on.

Edit: Just got a brand new pair of KFX take-offs for $150 on eBay.

Donjuan400ex
11-06-2009, 04:20 PM
im going with a set of KFX 450's and got them off ebay for a steal!!! 125$ shipped to my door!! w

Donjuan400ex
11-06-2009, 09:22 PM
Just installed my new KFX450r shocks and it was amazing the difference from stock shocks to the 450 shocks!! now i know what all the hype is about!! it only took me an 1:45 mins to install them!! Not much of a hasel at all!!

I would totally recomend the KFX shocks to anyone. The white springs match my color scheme perfectly!!

bkelley
11-06-2009, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Donjuan400ex
Just installed my new KFX450r shocks and it was amazing the difference from stock shocks to the 450 shocks!! now i know what all the hype is about!! it only took me an 1:45 mins to install them!! Not much of a hasel at all!!

I would totally recomend the KFX shocks to anyone. The white springs match my color scheme perfectly!!
Do you remember how much of the eye you had to grind down? Is that the only mod needed to get them on?

Mine should be here sometime next week. I'm really excited for them.

Originally posted by Donjuan400ex
im going with a set of KFX 450's and got them off ebay for a steal!!! 125$ shipped to my door!! w
Were they used at all? I got a set of "brand new" take offs for $150 shipped. Dude said the bike was never even started before they took them off.