PDA

View Full Version : Powerlifting..?

JRP
09-16-2009, 09:17 AM
Anyone do it? Im going to compete in a little, prob after the winter... My stats now are.... 190-195lbs, 6'.
Deadlift max(off floor) is 415lbs
Bench - 280lbs
Squat - 375lbs

Really need to work on my bench and squat. Much stronger using dumbells than I am using a BB on my bench. I can use the 130lb dumbells on flat bench and do it 4x, btu on BB bench I can only get 260 2x lol.

ATVMX33
09-16-2009, 10:24 AM
i do a little...just started though so not close to that..lol

Scro
09-16-2009, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by JRP
Anyone do it? Im going to compete in a little, prob after the winter... My stats now are.... 190-195lbs, 6'.
Bench - 280lbs
Squat - 375lbs

Really need to work on my bench and squat. Much stronger using dumbells than I am using a BB on my bench. I can use the 130lb dumbells on flat bench and do it 4x, btu on BB bench I can only get 260 2x lol.

Don't you know lifting weights will give you armpump.:p I think I'm up to 85's on flatbench:scary:

J.Brown121
09-16-2009, 11:52 AM
i lifted at 185 in high school and won a state championship
bench-255
squat-455
dead lift-550

my gf lifted at 118 in womens and won 3 national and world championships
bench-160
squat-265
dead lift-285

i stopped b/c i tore a muscle in my back and she just lost intrest

195 is a VERY tough class, but it's a lot of fun

honduh440
09-16-2009, 01:11 PM
im 210lbs and i benched 3 plates "315 lbs" last week.

ive got a little debate goin on with some friends. every trainer, workout magazine, body builders all say to lift a different muscle group each day you work out. We have known this and all done this forever Now some of the strongest and highest stamina athletes in the world are MMA "UFC" fighters and they all do full body workouts every day and do it 4X as long as we workout... if i did that in the gym i would be an idiot and be overtraining. however i started doing routines like these guys do after researching and i have increased all my lifts at a faster pace then doing it the traditional way without question. gives you a different way to look at it.

09-16-2009, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by ridin'MX365
i lifted at 185 in high school and won a state championship
bench-255
squat-455
dead lift-550

my gf lifted at 118 in womens and won 3 national and world championships
bench-160
squat-265
dead lift-285

WTF what year is this?

reptikes
09-16-2009, 02:53 PM
Damn... those are all good stats! JRP, hit your triceps really, really hard. That always helps increase your bench. At my best i could close grip 295...:macho

How old are you guys?

reptikes
09-16-2009, 02:56 PM
Never mind i looked at your profiles. I wish i would have started lifting in high school.

J.Brown121
09-16-2009, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by FlewByU352
WTF what year is this?

i don't know what you mean by that^^, but i won in 2005 and i don't remeber when exactly she won, i just know it was before she came to noble. i've seen the video's and the trophy's

ZBlaster
09-16-2009, 04:51 PM
Been in it for around 6 years now, can't squat anymore after my wreck so I've been doing leg press, haven't been to a competition since high school, right now I'm just more trying to maintain what I have.

Bench: 325
Squat: 750 (End of 2007 was last max)
Leg Press: 3x1050 (Machine wouldn't hold more)

Can't remember my last dead lift max.

Guy400
09-16-2009, 06:01 PM
I wouldn't call mine powerlifting and I don't max so I can't tell you exactly what it is. On my wide grip benching workout I do a pyramid type routine:

205 - 18 reps
225 - 6 to 8 reps
245 - 3 to 4 reps
265 - 2 reps
300 - 1 rep
270 - 4 reps
240 - 3 to 4 reps
205 - 5 to 6 reps

I'm 195lbs. and as riptikes said, the triceps are the key to benching. On top of the above workout I then move to 5 sets of narrow grip bench, 3 sets of skull crushers and then 3 sets of good, old-fashioned pushups. Each set I do only has a 30 second rest between them which is basically enough time to change the weight on the bar and get about a 15 second breather.

JRP
09-16-2009, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Scro
Don't you know lifting weights will give you armpump.:p I think I'm up to 85's on flatbench:scary:

lol i know but with not riding anymore, it dosen't bother me much! hahahah

I just turned 19, deff working on eating lots and lifting heavy! My squats are all *** to grass, below parallel, and my bench is slow downward, pause, and press up, none of that bouncing **** I see ppl do at the gym lol. Some pretty impressive stats! My back is my strong point, then shoulders(millitary press 225 - touch top of chest and back up), then chest and legs. I will be working on tons of CG Bench, and lockouts on the squat racks. Only been lifting heavy for 4months or so lol

Tommy Warren
09-16-2009, 08:07 PM
I don't understand people going to the gym....its like "hey if I give you money can I come in and lift heavy things?":huh

Why do you need to be able to lift that much? If you need to move your fridge just call a friend or something.

J.Brown121
09-16-2009, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
I don't understand people going to the gym....its like "hey if I give you money can I come in and lift heavy things?":huh

Why do you need to be able to lift that much? If you need to move your fridge just call a friend or something.

i lifted for football. the summer before my sophmore year my coach told me that if i put on some weight i could prolly start for the varsity at strong safety. i worked my arse off and put on 20 pounds of muscle and was starting by the 3rd game of the season:)

Guy400
09-16-2009, 08:21 PM

Why do you need to be able to lift that much? If you need to move your fridge just call a friend or something. I don't go to a gym. I've got a free weight bench at my house. Since I don't have a spotter here I welded two structures on the rack so the bar can't crush me.

It's like anything else people do. Just because it's not enjoyable to you doesn't mean it isn't to somebody elses. Plus, you can't put a price tag on physical fitness.

peterock
09-17-2009, 05:54 AM
I always wanted to get into lifting competitions but never had the time. I haven't lifted in years now and have lost a lot of what I worked hard for. When I was in my best shape I was around 170lbs and could rep 315lbs 3-4 times at the end of my sets on flat bench and best single lift was 370lbs.

Now, I don't know, maybe 200lbs.

Scro
09-17-2009, 08:08 AM

It's a BIG stress reliever for me.

ALAMX37
09-17-2009, 08:40 AM
Well I was a fatty when I graduated, I was in the 275 range. I maxed out at 365 bench, 505 squat. Never did much dead lifting. Since then, I have had labrum repair on both shoulders, decided to juice to regain some sort of strength, my arms look like deflated baloons after getting out of the sling. Haven't hit a cycle in about a year now, benching 305, squatting 455. I weigh about 235.

Warnerade
09-17-2009, 10:19 AM

Why do you need to be able to lift that much? If you need to move your fridge just call a friend or something. some people like being in shape.

dehner47
09-17-2009, 10:25 AM

just like the gym rats can say to you, " i dont understand paying some all that $$ to ride in the dirt and all you do is break bones and waste money on 4wheeler parts" to each his own my good man.

Sjorge450R
09-17-2009, 11:22 AM
I always start going to the gym, i go for like a month and then i stop....not too sure why. I am actually looking at heading back, starting today.

I unlike you guys am not looking at getting big but toned. I try to do like 30 min of running (gets me a few miles in) and then I lift for like 45 min doing just random things. I would much rather just swim considering in highschool i was jacked and all i ever did was swim. 6 pack, jacked shoulders and arms, never lifted a weight :o And people call swimmers woosies.

Scro
09-17-2009, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
I always start going to the gym, i go for like a month and then i stop....not too sure why. I am actually looking at heading back, starting today.

I unlike you guys am not looking at getting big but toned. I try to do like 30 min of running (gets me a few miles in) and then I lift for like 45 min doing just random things. I would much rather just swim considering in highschool i was jacked and all i ever did was swim. 6 pack, jacked shoulders and arms, never lifted a weight :o And people call swimmers woosies.

Swimming is one of the best things you can do for cardio.

reptikes
09-17-2009, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by peterock
I always wanted to get into lifting competitions but never had the time. I haven't lifted in years now and have lost a lot of what I worked hard for. When I was in my best shape I was around 170lbs and could rep 315lbs 3-4 times at the end of my sets on flat bench and best single lift was 370lbs.

Now, I don't know, maybe 200lbs.

I feel you. At my best (200-205 in wieght) i could do 325lbs. on my 6th-7th set into our workouts, never did a max i didn't want to disappoint myself.
A couple of the guys were over for UFC 102 and we all had liquid tough guy in us. We went down to see who could bench the most (YOU SHOULD NEVER BENCH DRUNK), i did 255 and struggled thee entire time, 265 and my arms gave out (i thought i broke something). Very sad and disappointing. Im going to start working out again.

madskrillz2
09-17-2009, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by reptikes
(YOU SHOULD NEVER BENCH DRUNK)

Best advice EVER. Done it once and don't plan on it again.

I'm not really into powerlifting. I guess I would classify myself as more the body building type, but I basically just do it because I like it. I don't plan on entering shows or anything like that.

Dave400ex
09-17-2009, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by JRP
[B]Anyone do it? Im going to compete in a little, prob after the winter... My stats now are.... 190-195lbs, 6'.
Bench - 280lbs
Squat - 375lbs

Those are pretty good numbers JRP.

I started lifting weights in 7th grade for fun and it turned into pushing myself to see what I could do. In 8th grade I weighed 195 at 5' 11" with 14 percent body fat. I ended up Benching 285, Powercleaned 250, Deadlift 455, and Box Squatted 600. We had what we called "Max Out" week and I did all 4 of those in 4 days back to back. I was so wore out Friday that week I didn't do Full Squat. At the time I was just having fun with it, but looking back at it now it was amazing what I was able to do in 8th grade.

Then a few years later as a Sophomore I was trying to powerclean 265 and my knee gave out, chipped my knee cap, tore the muscles from it, etc. Haven't lifted much since, but I need to start! :huh

ATVMX905
09-24-2009, 07:28 PM
im 180. 5'10. i bench 325.