PDA

View Full Version : Cross Compatitbility Chart/Thread

racerx573
09-15-2009, 11:33 PM
Can anyone make a cross compatibility chart/thread showing what interchanges between 04-05 and 06+, and what needs to be done for certain parts to work.

Starting mostly with the big stuff.
Frames, motors, motor parts, carbs, plastics, tanks, etc, etc...

Is there one of these out there somewhere? It would be a great sticky.

Haven't made it over to the .ORG to check it out yet if there is one there.

09-16-2009, 12:10 AM
funny i was just on .org and i saw a tread about it but it was for the 400ex/250r and 04/05 450r. i guess the nerfs, pegs, bumper. bars, wheels... idk i wish there was a stickied thread. if you find one let me know

fastredrider44
09-16-2009, 09:14 AM
What do you want to know?

blacknblue#2
09-16-2009, 09:22 AM
I have a pieced together 450R from both generations. i been meaning to make up a list of what will work and wont but until then feel free to ask me about any part that your wondering about.

09-16-2009, 11:50 AM
can you use the 04/05 transmission with a 2006+ motor in a 04/05 frame?

fastredrider44
09-16-2009, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by FlewByU352
can you use the 04/05 transmission with a 2006+ motor in a 04/05 frame?

Lol. That's a doozy for a first question. But to answer your question in one word, No. You can't put the 06 cylinder on an 05 bottom end. You could put the 06 head on an 05 motor if you wanted to though... Not sure why you would want to do that. If you are talking about splitting the cases of both motors and strictly putting the gears from an 05 over to an 06, that part I don't know. The 06 motor will go in the 05 frame with some slight modification of the motor mounts, bolts, and spacers.

Just curious, but why would you put an 06 motor in an 05 frame? The 06 frame is better in my opinion.

09-16-2009, 01:33 PM
Well I know the older transmission is better, and the newer motors make more power. Theres probally a lot of factors that make it have more power. IDK about the head, but its a larger bore and shorter stroke. I would think it would have less torque but the compression ration is upped quite a bit. I have a 05 thats why i asked. What are the frame differences? You said the 06 is better in your opinion i'm just curious what was changed.

Scro
09-16-2009, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
Lol. That's a doozy for a first question. But to answer your question in one word, No. You can't put the 06 cylinder on an 05 bottom end. You could put the 06 head on an 05 motor if you wanted to though... Not sure why you would want to do that. If you are talking about splitting the cases of both motors and strictly putting the gears from an 05 over to an 06, that part I don't know. The 06 motor will go in the 05 frame with some slight modification of the motor mounts, bolts, and spacers.

Just curious, but why would you put an 06 motor in an 05 frame? The 06 frame is better in my opinion.

The 04/05 frames are going for quite a bit less than the 06+ frames. Not sure why though. Do you know exactly what needs to be change in the motor mounts to make it work? Seems like to me, you could just use the 06 mounts, spacers, and bolts. Or is the frame a different width?

Didn't you just do this blackandblue?

fastredrider44
09-16-2009, 04:10 PM
You said the 06 is better in your opinion i'm just curious what was changed.

Bigger tubes. They're stronger because of it too. Look at the upright tube behind the footpeg and the horizontal tubes that the gas tank sits on.

fastredrider44
09-16-2009, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Scro
Seems like to me, you could just use the 06 mounts, spacers, and bolts. Or is the frame a different width?

I'm a little foggy on that, only seen it done once. I usually don't see too many people have preoblems getting the right year frame around here. But I do think the frame is a different width and you have to cut down your own spacers.

RideRaceLive93
09-16-2009, 05:09 PM
Well I know the older transmission is better, and the newer motors make more power. Theres probally a lot of factors that make it have more power. IDK about the head, but its a larger bore and shorter stroke. I would think it would have less torque but the compression ration is upped quite a bit. I have a 05 thats why i asked. What are the frame differences? You said the 06 is better in your opinion i'm just curious what was changed.

well the newer engines making more power isnt wrong and isnt right in stock trim the 2nd generation makes more power with pipe and filter but the 1st gen can make a lot more power when built because of the larger port layout, and you can go with a larger bore with the 1st gen also if you want even more MADDDD power

blacknblue#2
09-16-2009, 07:55 PM
The 04/05 frames are going for quite a bit less than the 06+ frames. Not sure why though. Do you know exactly what needs to be change in the motor mounts to make it work? Seems like to me, you could just use the 06 mounts, spacers, and bolts. Or is the frame a different width?

Didn't you just do this blackandblue?

Yes the 04/05 frames are going for alot cheaper. As for ppl saying one frame is better than the other, well i wouldnt say that. It does take some work to get the 06+ engine in an 05 frame. The 05 frame is right at an inch narrower on the motor mounts and the engine cases on the 06+ engine at right at an inch thicker than the 05 engine. Luckily the swingarm mount of both engines were the same so that was a good starting point. I went with the 06+ motor mounts and cut my own aluminum spacers to get it to work. You want to be sure to do some measuring and calculating before you just go cutting. If you get these engines cocked in the frame you will be running into the same problems as the guys back in the hybrid days when they just cobbled one together.

Live2Ride300
09-16-2009, 09:38 PM
All year main frames are good, they all require some "love" from the factory however. If you are an accomplished tig welder, take a look at the welds on these trx frames coming from honda...........................did they outsource welding to china ....or what>? lmao....Anyways, a few or so well placed gussets or reinforcements will take care of most of the problems. You will still get stress cracks, some you will want to leave, some you will weld. You want the frame to flex, but not break, finding the balance is near to impossible. But you want to be on the upper end, fix the big problem areas, and the small stress cracks that you get, that is what it is, stress, the frame of your bike needs to flex, just like your tire sidewalls. Think about when you come into a corner, hot and heavy, rollin half to full 4th gear off camber, and you can feel it, thats not your bars flexn, but the front of the frame is actually flexing in the corner. Enought of that ecstacty and your frame will develop cracks on the outsides of the factory welds. Bottom line is, you want your oem frame to be strong, but you want flexibility out of it as well, but the nature of the beast is, your going to crack no matter what. what's funny is, alot of the cracks you see, you don't want to weld back together, lol, I know you guys are laughing now, you want give, shock abosorbtion, think about your MX chassis as a living breathing thing! K, I'm done... You want more, PM me.

Speaking of impossible, has anybody ever built a frame out of Titanium? I wonder how much that would cost?

Any year TRX450R frame is a good MX platform. As far as subframes go, if your runnning a stock subframe, hopefully your running a modified lowered subframe. Mobility in heat, transfer of weight, stock trx subframes need to be lowered so that you can transfer your body weight from the front of the bike to the back of the bike easily. Bumping your *** on the seat, or coming into a corner with your weight too high sucks, you want your friggen shocks to absorb your cornering, not rubber, air and dirt!

racerx573
09-17-2009, 12:39 AM
Basically I have a bunch of '04-'05 aftermarket parts and need to know if they'll work..

Laeger's Pro Trax
Walsh Savior
Axis shocks
RPM Axle
X-Factor Nerfs

I know if I go with an '06+ I will need '04/'05 hubs, but is the geometry of the frame for the a-arms any different?

I know just about everything in the book about 250R's, now it's time to learn the 450's...

TN_cowboy
09-17-2009, 04:22 AM
i know the 04/05 front end is better than the 06+. what parts of the 04/05 do i need to put on the 06+ to make it better?

Scro
09-17-2009, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by TN_cowboy
i know the 04/05 front end is better than the 06+. what parts of the 04/05 do i need to put on the 06+ to make it better?

Hubs, spindles, and upper arms. (if you are still running stock arms)

TN_cowboy
09-17-2009, 08:17 AM
i can use the stoick rims and springs and everything else though?

Scro
09-17-2009, 08:41 AM
Yes. You can use your 06+ stock rims, calipers, brakelines, shocks, and lower arms. Those parts are all the same as the 04-05 parts.

fastredrider44
09-17-2009, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by racerx573
Basically I have a bunch of '04-'05 aftermarket parts and need to know if they'll work..

Laeger's Pro Trax
Walsh Savior
Axis shocks
RPM Axle
X-Factor Nerfs

I know if I go with an '06+ I will need '04/'05 hubs, but is the geometry of the frame for the a-arms any different?

I know just about everything in the book about 250R's, now it's time to learn the 450's...

You can use your suspension, but you need to know a few of the things you will be changing. You can use the a arms but it would be best to swap over to the 04/05 hubs and spindles as well. the rear end will work, but 06 up came factory with a longer shock, longer linkage, and longer swingarm. But you can swap over everything and it will work fine. Axle will work fine and the nerfs are only a little different, but can be made to work. Only difference there is the front motor mounts.

Scro
09-17-2009, 11:46 AM

Laeger's Pro Trax
Walsh Savior
Axis shocks
RPM Axle
X-Factor Nerfs

The geometry of the frame is the same for all years.

blacknblue#2
09-17-2009, 02:18 PM
yes geometry is the same from 04+. All your parts that you have will work on any year except for the walsh link. The link changed with the 06+ due to the swingarm being longer.

Scro
09-17-2009, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by blacknblue#2
yes geometry is the same from 04+. All your parts that you have will work on any year except for the walsh link. The link changed with the 06+ due to the swingarm being longer.

I thought the Savior link would only work with Walsh's swinger? If that's true, then the whole Savior rearend will bolt up to any year frame.

blacknblue#2
09-17-2009, 04:01 PM
I thought the Savior link would only work with Walsh's swinger? If that's true, then the whole Savior rearend will bolt up to any year frame.

good call, you could be right on that scro. Im not real familar with walsh stuff. If he chimes in and tells us that its a complete swinger than yes it will bolt right up to any frame

racerx573
09-17-2009, 05:06 PM
Complete rear end, Walsh swingarm, linkage, and shock.

Same with the front end, it has the Laeger's spindles.

Scro
09-17-2009, 06:37 PM
It will all bolt up then.

fastredrider44
09-17-2009, 10:02 PM
Complete rear end, Walsh swingarm, linkage, and shock.

Same with the front end, it has the Laeger's spindles.

Bout 99% sure you will need 05 hubs then, and yes, the entire rear end will swap over.