PDA

View Full Version : Pulled Head Studs (PICS)

wrekd
09-15-2009, 11:02 PM
Head stud that pulled loose on the left. Look at all the aluminum stuck to that thing...lol

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i31/wrekd96/DSCN1714.jpg

After I pulled the aluminum out of the threads

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i31/wrekd96/DSCN1715.jpg

Got the HD studs installed. Forgot to take pics though :ermm:

Dubs_Tech
09-15-2009, 11:21 PM
did you install the HD studs yourself?

wrekd
09-15-2009, 11:57 PM
No I sent the jug out to Gt Thunder to have them installed.

Ryanwolfe911
09-16-2009, 05:57 AM
I don't see why people are so afraid to install them. All you need is a drill press to make sure you get the holes drilled straight. GT thunder gives you the special tap you need with the stud kit.

Make sure that they're at the right height, and bam, you're done.

mmbintn
09-16-2009, 07:03 AM
I didnt get the tap with mine. Also I dont think most people own a drill press. I had mine installed locally as they were doing some work on the jug for me anyways.

beck125
09-16-2009, 08:36 AM
idk if its just me or what i feel stupid, can someone explain the overall purpose of these?

wrekd
09-16-2009, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Ryanwolfe911
I don't see why people are so afraid to install them. All you need is a drill press to make sure you get the holes drilled straight. GT thunder gives you the special tap you need with the stud kit.

Make sure that they're at the right height, and bam, you're done.

For $120, 5 day turn around, and knowing they're installed right. I'd just rather send it out to have em done. That and if I messed em up, I'm SOL. If they mess up, thats they're problem. Just my .02 cents.

Pipeless416
09-16-2009, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by beck125
idk if its just me or what i feel stupid, can someone explain the overall purpose of these?

the problem with the stock studs is not that they actually stretch or anything. the issue is that the jug is made out of aluminum which is very soft, especially when hot. the threads on the stock studs are too fine, and the diameter is too narrow to really give the studs something to anchor to. the HD studs address this by using a much wider diameter, and a courser thread. the internal threads of the jug are also roll tapped, which squishes the metal into thread shape instead of cutting it, thus eliminating "stress risers." heres a picture of a stock stud in between two GTT studs.

KISSmyACE
09-16-2009, 11:50 AM
learn somethin new every day!!

09-16-2009, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by KISSmyACE
learn somethin new every day!!

Sara i had no idea you were on this site too lol

KISSmyACE
09-16-2009, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by FlewByU352
Sara i had no idea you were on this site too lol

Brad?

09-16-2009, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by KISSmyACE
Brad?

yeap lol

wrekd
09-17-2009, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
the problem with the stock studs is not that they actually stretch or anything. the issue is that the jug is made out of aluminum which is very soft, especially when hot. the threads on the stock studs are too fine, and the diameter is too narrow to really give the studs something to anchor to. the HD studs address this by using a much wider diameter, and a courser thread. the internal threads of the jug are also roll tapped, which squishes the metal into thread shape instead of cutting it, thus eliminating "stress risers." heres a picture of a stock stud in between two GTT studs.

Wow, thats a huge difference. No wonder why the stock ones pull loose.

That picture gives me even more confidence in them.