PDA

View Full Version : 2009 kawasaki kfx50

808karrots
09-15-2009, 10:19 PM
Can anyone tell me how i can make my son's kfx50 go faster? Is there an aftermarket carb or head that could make it go faster? airmobile can you help?

airmobile101
09-15-2009, 10:50 PM
Yea, Im a little self intoxed at the moment:D So, if your read all my prior post on here, I think that will get yea where you wanna go. But I will say this, your carb is a POS,But, its more enough carb for that Kawi. No need to waste money on a bigger carb. The bigger head with the bigger valves can be had. I have one with the 90cc kit I have. A big valve 50cc(139qmb) gy6 are listed all over the web. Expect to pay $70.00-$100.00 for the chineses crap heads, or shell out the $150.00 -$200.00 for the good stuff(Naraku, NCY, Stage6). I can't give yea an opinion on it because its sitting in a box with the 90cc kit. Its a Naraku 90cc kit that includes the head. Part # nk100.52. Its something that the states don't have. I was lucky to find a guy in the UK that sold it to me for cheap on ebay.

808karrots
09-16-2009, 01:31 AM
what about a bigger sprocket?

808karrots
09-16-2009, 01:34 AM
there's not to much after market parts for a 2009 kfx50

808karrots
09-16-2009, 12:09 PM
I bought the 2008 kfx spacers and it doesn't fit where can I get spacers for this bike.

airmobile101
09-16-2009, 12:56 PM
Yes, a bigger sprocket does help. Its a cheap mod. Get a JT sprocket. Move up to a 17 tooth front. Stock is 16T, Try to find a 28 rear sprocket. Rebel Gears should be able to help yea with the rear sprocket. The front sprocket part # from JT sprockets is: JTF259.17

With my son running a 17t front and a 28t rear, we were able to achieve 20 mph without a aftermarket cdi box. With a aftermarket cdi, you can get anything from 22-28 mph.

You can give it a little more rpm's and punch off the line also, remove two of the six rollers in the variator. Total combined roller weight is 39 grams. With each one weighing in at 6.5 grams each. So, if you remove two rollers, your total weight should be 26 grams total. Thats a free mod. But!!!!!!!! None of that is gonna help if you still have that Restrictor suck in the variator. Its that pretty looking wedding band thing that the belt is sitting on. Did you remove this yet?

airmobile101
09-16-2009, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by 808karrots
I bought the 2008 kfx spacers and it doesn't fit where can I get spacers for this bike.

What spacers???? For the wheels??? You need 4/110 wheel spacers.

airmobile101
09-16-2009, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by 808karrots
there's not to much after market parts for a 2009 kfx50
Ohhhh, believe me, its out there. It just has to be found!

808karrots
09-17-2009, 01:05 AM
thanks for the reply, where is the variator? I removed the carb retrictor and the exhast, the dealer also removed the clutch restrictor. thanks for the sprocket information. where can i get the CDI box?

airmobile101
09-17-2009, 04:47 AM
I wasn't aware the carb had a restrictor. Do you mean the throttle screw? Ok, if the dealer removed the clutch restrictor, then thats a good thing.The variator is the disc type thing that has roller weights in it. Its located where the restrictor was located.The cdi isnt avalible for a KFX50. I have a solution for a cdi, but its not a plug and play and it located in the UK. You will have to splice wires for it to work or remove each individual wire from the wire plug with a small eyeglass screwdriver. Heres the link of the cdi you need.

http://www.ooracing.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=39

Ill post the diagrams on how its suppose to be wired.

airmobile101
09-17-2009, 04:49 AM
KFX50 diagram

airmobile101
09-17-2009, 04:50 AM
KFX90 DIAGRAM

airmobile101
09-17-2009, 04:52 AM
OORACING 4-pin 12vdc 14000rpm cdi

airmobile101
09-17-2009, 05:00 AM
variator kit

burkcs
11-21-2009, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by airmobile101
variator kit

I removed three of the rollers(every other one) from the stock variator today on one of my KFX50's and it slowed the bike down to a crawl.

Would you explain why and what the variator does?

What is the purpose of grinding 5mm from the ramps?

airmobile101
11-23-2009, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by burkcs
I removed three of the rollers(every other one) from the stock variator today on one of my KFX50's and it slowed the bike down to a crawl.

Ok, did you remove that wedding band that the belt sits on??? It sounds like to me you left that in there. Also is this a 2007 or newer KFX50?

airmobile101
11-23-2009, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by burkcs

Grinding down the ramps gives more travel to the rollers, which in return ride higher in the ramp and press the belt farther up for more top end.

JustinBoots
04-23-2010, 11:57 AM
Looks like the front sprocket is on backorder and bikebandit sales guy said he's not showing a 28-tooth aftermarket for the rear in his system. Guess that is custom from Rebel Gears. Is there any advantage to only changing one or the other until I can acquire the other end? I'm assuming a different length chain will be necessary, but not thinking the chain link size itself will change.

One more question on the CDI's. I'm assuming my KFX50 wiring should match the KFX90 diagram you posted if I want to use the high rev CDI right?

airmobile101
04-23-2010, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by JustinBoots
Looks like the front sprocket is on backorder and bikebandit sales guy said he's not showing a 28-tooth aftermarket for the rear in his system. Guess that is custom from Rebel Gears. Is there any advantage to only changing one or the other until I can acquire the other end? I'm assuming a different length chain will be necessary, but not thinking the chain link size itself will change.

One more question on the CDI's. I'm assuming my KFX50 wiring should match the KFX90 diagram you posted if I want to use the high rev CDI right?
Yea, you can change the front or the rear only. Yes to the KFX90 wiring if you run a dc fired cdi thats a plug in play type.

JustinBoots
04-24-2010, 08:20 PM
Thanks man!

JustinBoots
05-11-2010, 11:51 AM
Well....I did the UniFilter upgrade as well as the ECM upgrade and HOLY MOLY!!!!! What a difference! He's taking all 4 wheels off the ground when he hits the tabletops at the track! He shaved his lap time down from 1min 8 secs to 59 secs! Very happy. Next mod is to remove the lower jug gasket and get the 17-tooth sprocket.

I have a new question though....have any of you been able to find a twist throttle kit for the KFX50? My son says his thumb is hurting.

airmobile101
05-11-2010, 01:38 PM
Just put a throttle extender on it. Its cheaper and easier.

JustinBoots
05-11-2010, 01:50 PM
Good idea! Maybe I'll come across the twist throttle down the road. I called ATVPARTS.BIZ since they have a lot of twist throttle conversion kits, but they said the only thing close was for an older KFX80.

airmobile101
05-12-2010, 10:22 AM
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=67&navTitle=Handlebars-Control&webCatId=12&keyword=THUMB+THROTTLE&prodFamilyId=24284

JustinBoots
05-12-2010, 10:38 AM
Just ordered it! I saw the pics of your boys bike and it looks awesome! Do you happen to know anything about regulations around what they call the "Mini Wars"? I thought I heard that the requirement was that the bikes be stock, but obviously there are series out there for modified. Don't want to show on race day unprepared or disqualified for too many mods.

airmobile101
05-12-2010, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by JustinBoots
Just ordered it! I saw the pics of your boys bike and it looks awesome! Do you happen to know anything about regulations around what they call the "Mini Wars"? I thought I heard that the requirement was that the bikes be stock, but obviously there are series out there for modified. Don't want to show on race day unprepared or disqualified for too many mods.
That depends on the series and what type of racing. If its gonna be MX, the DRR'S will eat that Kawasaki alive!!!!!!!! lol If its XC racing, the Kawasaki has a chance to whip some butt. It also depends on the rider. Some series have a YARD MACHINE CLASS. Thats a stock,"NON RACE READY " class. No DRR's or at sort or quad. Its bone stock Kymco's, Yamaha's, Kawasaki, etc.............

JustinBoots
05-12-2010, 12:41 PM
Yeah that's what I thought. I mean truly bone stock on this Kawasaki 50cc is 8mph before you remove the collar and who would want to watch that? I keep asking the track for paperwork on the series and they keep telling me they don't get advance notice of the regulations which sounds like crap to me. They say as soon as they get the information it will be made available.

What are DRR's? My son was passing two Yamaha PW50 dirtbikes out there Saturday on the track. Not sure what level rider they were, but he was taking the inside as they were running high and then pulling out in front! Very happy to see he's aggressive.

airmobile101
05-12-2010, 02:59 PM
Go on to the mini section on here and look for the DRR section.

Sanchez Garage
10-14-2012, 07:05 PM
just did the cdi, exhaust, filter, and will be doing the sprockets soon( just ordered them) I want to know what it the thing that needs to be removed from the carb. Do you have a pix and also the shiny thin that needs to be removed from the rollers. Just want to get a idea before I start tearing it appart. Thanks.

Rotax583
05-12-2013, 12:42 PM
I wasn't aware the carb had a restrictor. Do you mean the throttle screw? Ok, if the dealer removed the clutch restrictor, then thats a good thing.The variator is the disc type thing that has roller weights in it. Its located where the restrictor was located.The cdi isnt avalible for a KFX50. I have a solution for a cdi, but its not a plug and play and it located in the UK. You will have to splice wires for it to work or remove each individual wire from the wire plug with a small eyeglass screwdriver. Heres the link of the cdi you need.

http://www.ooracing.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=39

Ill post the diagrams on how its suppose to be wired.will that cdi work on the kfx 90?