PDA

View Full Version : Question about buttoning up bottom end.?.?

rocky_mtn_honda
09-15-2009, 10:14 PM
is it ok to use permatex ultra grey on the bottom end in between the cases...instead of the gasket...just curious how everyone felt about it, or if they've tried it. i have no problem buying the gaskets, but why if you dont have to...the only other gasket im curious if i can use it on would be the base gasket...the paper one under the jug...any advice?
thanks in advance

Ryanwolfe911
09-16-2009, 06:19 AM
Ddon't do that, trust me.

beck125
09-16-2009, 08:39 AM
my buddy has told me he used a manila folder and rtv before and it works fine. i wouldnt go with just the rtv though.

rocky_mtn_honda
09-16-2009, 01:15 PM
well all the older model suzuki's and a few yamaha's dont even have gaskets...thats why i ask...used permatex ultra grey on all those and it worked for years to come

Ryanwolfe911
09-17-2009, 05:56 AM
IF and that's a big IF you decide to go that route, you need to use factory Hondabond, not permatex RTV. Hondabond is a specialy formulated solventless silicone that bonds with the perticular aluminum that Honda engines are made from. And regular RTV will eat through the aluminum and cause another leak.

I used to build alot of Honda car tranny's at the dealer and they came factory with Hondabond between the case halves. IT should work just fine for a 400ex.

You can get it at any dealership.

rocky_mtn_honda
09-17-2009, 02:43 PM
well...im not even gonna start this debate...but do you know how much that hondabond is? and how big the container is...lol
permatex ultra grey is designed and meets the same exact specifications...designed for japanese aluminium applications
im not talking about the regular permatex

Ryanwolfe911
09-17-2009, 06:23 PM
Hey, use whatever you want, it's not my ATV.

rocky_mtn_honda
09-17-2009, 07:59 PM
ok well...i think im gonna trust ya on this one ryan...plus, would honda have put the gasket on the bike, if it wasnt needed...im just gonna order a complete kit...i've been looking at the cometic complete kits...but they all seem to say "Kit does not include the engine or crank seal"...im confused...do the cometic kits come with oil seals too?...i wanna get ALL gaskets and ALL seals...anyone that can point me in the right direction as far as complete kits go...im sure ill have to get the kits seperately...like the gasket kit as one, and the oil seals as another...if im mistaken, let me know
thanks a bunch
finally sold one of my other atv's today...so now i have money for parts
very niice!