PDA

View Full Version : 1989 Nerf Bar mounts

IcutMetl
09-15-2009, 07:54 PM
Those of you who have 1988/1989 frames and are using pro-peg style mounts; you know, the additional piece that fits inside the tubing and clamps onto the footpeg- how much clearance/slop is there between the i.d. of the tubing and the o.d. of the "peg?"

I bought a set of Graydon Proline aluminum pro-peg style nerfs off ebay for $92. Never installed; just laying around- I like 'em. However, the rear mount peg pieces are only 1" in diameter, while the i.d. for my nerfs is bored 1.16" (oversize for 1-1/8" I would assume). To me; that's like driving your Yaris thru an airplane hanger; Im not lettin' those nerfs flap like wings on my 'wheeler!

I also have to fab up a front mounting piece out of 1-1/8" od steel tube and 3/16 or 1/4" plate for the U-Bolts. Now it looks like I'll have to cut out the welds on those pegs with the lathe, enlarge the mounting tabs, and weld in some 1-1/8" tube.

I really like the nerfs all together, but that's what I get for trying to save a few bucks.

IcutMetl
09-15-2009, 09:17 PM
Another thing I noticed...when loosely mounted on the peg adapters, and the front tube positioned close to where it will sit if I were to have a crossbar, the footpeg looks to be on a slightly downward plane...is this normal?