PDA

View Full Version : At my wits end

09-15-2009, 06:10 PM
Just did a full gusset, paint etc...on my sons 2009 DRX90....decided to do wire harness bypass, and keyswitch bypass...redid the wiring according to instructions from the forum...quad started no problem...didn't seem to want to run unless on choke (carb was already cleaned thoroughly and ran fine before this project) thought it just needed to warm up...so anyways...after it warmed up the choke was off and my son rode it for about 15-20 minutes...when he stopped it died and we cannot get it to start anymore...has no spark...need any help you guys can provide as he is supposed to race this Saturday...also it has a brand new Pro Armor kill switch...I am guessing redo the wiring? Not good at wiring stuff...I spliced all wires that needed to be grounded and ran one ground wire to the frame, then I ran a seperate ground from the engine to the frame... I am lost for ideas here...thanks in advance

09-15-2009, 06:23 PM
Call me please 812 345 0438. I had this same problem as you did. It is wiring.

don bassani
09-15-2009, 07:13 PM
Check your ground wires again,be sure the paint is is ground off to bare metal at grounding connections.

ewathen
09-15-2009, 08:22 PM
you can call me. i had similar issues and can walk you through what I did.

317-840-6524

Eric

09-16-2009, 06:23 AM
Thanks guys...going to redo the wiring again tonight...will post as soon as I am down...I just hope it's only the ground wires as everyone has said...thanks again

09-17-2009, 05:11 AM
Rewired everything and it starts fine, but only when choked??? Will be soldering wires tonight and doing test runs and see if something else is the problem...Is it a carb problem if it runs better on choke? Plug was dark like it is running rich could that be the problem? Most quads I have dealt with idle up when the choke is on but not this one? Only way it will idle up is if I turn the idle screw way in...what is the proper turns out on the idle screw?

09-17-2009, 07:11 AM
Ok now it seems that your main jet or pilot jet is plugged. If it has set you need to take off your bowl , take out your jets and use carb cleaner and spray out your jets and where they screw in at. This I believe will get you on your feet again. I would really clean it good. Hope this helps.

09-17-2009, 07:18 AM
I will take the carb off and look at it again...I wonder if this is what caused it to die the first time?

09-17-2009, 05:01 PM
Carb going back on now

mudder700
09-17-2009, 06:27 PM
start at three turns out and tune from there

09-17-2009, 06:32 PM
Now I am really comfused...see my other post...someone said 1.5 turns out

mudder700
09-17-2009, 07:02 PM
there are posts on here regarding air screw settings,I would start at 3 turns out and tune from there, it might have to be turned in a little or out a little, the best way to tune it is put atv up on a stand, start it up and turn up the idle so the rear wheels don't turn, but close, then make 1/4 turn increase or decreases, wait about 10 seconds and see what your idle does, you want it to increase the idle,once it stops reving higher stop, turn your idle back to normal and it is all set, if it is more than 3.5 turns out, change the pilot jet,same goes with if it is turned in to far, change the pilot jet, this adjustment makes a huge difference in performance out of the hole....

redonkulousruntsracing
09-17-2009, 07:15 PM
Curt, is that you??

drxracing
09-18-2009, 01:06 AM
mudder700 has a good point do small increments at a time as these little minis can be frustrating

09-18-2009, 06:23 AM
Frustrating is an understatement...if I can't get it ready for tomorrow morning it will be up here for sale tomorrow afternoon...not worth the 2 weeks I have spent night and day for this...

redonkulousruntsracing
09-18-2009, 07:49 AM
AAhhh yes the love of mini quads. you will get it.

09-18-2009, 03:03 PM
Thanks...all set...thank you to everyone for all of your help...I will post race results tomorrow

thequadfather+2
09-18-2009, 04:39 PM
now remember, the quad was fine in stock trim. Any problems from that point forward may be the result of mods or the mechanic. Remember this aint your old 4-stroke, Keeping the quad in top shape will take constant work, If I wasnt wrenching on both ours every week, it wouldnt be the same. If he does well you will both feel good because you know that he could not have done it without you, no-matter if he says it or not.

You have a good quad but it will continue to take a bunch of work from you to keep it that way...Good luck.

09-18-2009, 05:14 PM
I hear ya...what kind of stuff do you have to work on every week?

tntauto1127
09-18-2009, 05:16 PM
So what fixed your problem? Cleaning the carb or something else?

09-18-2009, 06:27 PM
I will be honest...I have no idea...cleaned the carb (wasn't dirty) and soldered the wires...fired up and ran great????

09-18-2009, 06:30 PM
It was the solder i Told you that would fix it didnt i lol. I knew it was your wiring first the ground and then solder. Glad to hear you got it. Wiring connections mean alot.

09-19-2009, 04:33 PM
Thanks once again to everyone for all your help...my son took home a 1st and 2nd place trophy...needs some tweaking still but ran great!!!

09-19-2009, 04:36 PM
I knew you could do it. Congrats to a awsome weekend.

09-19-2009, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by tgcheeseman
I knew you could do it. Congrats to a awsome weekend.

Thanks for your guidance on the wiring!!!

thequadfather+2
09-20-2009, 06:13 PM
"what kind of stuff do you have to work on every week?"

Well, until you get it where you want it you'll be messing with it every week. (seems like)

After you think you are done then comes jetting (changes with the weather), filter cleaning, chain maintenance, Tranny fluid, clutch and torque springs, compression checks, keeping all the nuts and bolts tight, checking the frame for cracks and pondering what the next mod will be because there are soooo many to choose from.

For me the 4 stroke Z90 was...Turn the key; start; race; rinse dirt off; park and repeat next week......:D

BTW, congrats on a successful weekend. Your hard work paid off..

dazed&confused
09-21-2009, 06:54 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by thequadfather+2
[B]"what kind of stuff do you have to work on every week?"

Well, until you get it where you want it you'll be messing with it every week. (seems like)

After you think you are done then comes jetting (changes with the weather), filter cleaning, chain maintenance, Tranny fluid, clutch and torque springs, compression checks, keeping all the nuts and bolts tight, checking the frame for cracks and pondering what the next mod will be because there are soooo many to choose from.

WELCOME to mini quad racing!
as far as maintence ,try and get in a routine,i pull my trans apart after every weekend and change oil and inspect gears. also i have four air filters that i rotate ,at the nationals i change every day. go through your nuts and bolt and tighten after every moto.clean and inspect chain ,keep it lubed and tight and it will take care of you. we do this constintly and my son helps so it has become second nature for us. if you do this it will reduse your headachs and dnf's.

hope this helps,just remember that the next problem is right around the corner.

redonkulousruntsracing
09-21-2009, 09:01 AM
Yes, good job to dad for getting the quad ready and good job to the rider for rewarding dad's hard work with his hard work on the track. feels good dont it? Its the best feeling in the world watching your kid get in their zone and riding with confidence and bringing home a win. I love the looks on their faces when they know that they had a good race. The smile that pops off helmets, love it.

Don't forget all the lovely repairs if your kid has a tangle with another rider or just plain crashes, unfortunately it happens, it happened to us yesterday, 3 cartwheels, I have to start tear down 2nite to inspect for damage, oh joy...... at least he's ok.