PDA

View Full Version : How 2 stroke engines work

tants
01-12-2003, 03:36 PM
I just did how four stroke engines work. I did this to mabe help clear up all ya youngsters questions.

The "2-strokes" are:
1) Compression stroke
2) Combustion stroke

To start things off heres some main facts about the 2stroker engine...

-Two-stroke engines do not have valves, which simplifies their construction and lowers their weight.
-Two-stroke engines fire once every revolution, while four-stroke engines fire once every other revolution. This gives two-stroke engines a significant power boost.

These advantages make two-stroke engines lighter, simpler and less expensive to modify. Two-stroke engines also have the potential to pack about twice the power into the same space because there are twice as many power strokes per revolution. The combination of light weight and twice the power gives two-stroke engines a great power-to-weight ratio compared to many four-stroke engine designs, for instance, the Honda 250r compared to the Honda 400ex.

One difference between a 2stroke and a 4stroke motor is that a 2stroke motors spark plug only fires once every revolution compared to twice like a 4stroke engine does.

2 stroke engines have a "cross flow" design, this means that overlap operations occur in order to reduce the part count aslong as the "stroke" count.

The "2-strokes":
1) Start where the spark plug fires. Fuel and air in the cylinder have been compressed, and when the spark plug fires the mixture ignites. The resulting explosion drives the piston downward. Note that as the piston moves downward, it is compressing the air/fuel mixture in the crankcase. As the piston approaches the bottom of its stroke, the exhaust port is uncovered. The pressure in the cylinder drives most of the exhaust gases out of cylinder. As the piston finally bottoms out, the intake port is exposed. The piston's movement has pressurized the mixture in the crankcase, so it rushes into the cylinder, displacing the remaining exhaust gases and filling the cylinder with a fresh charge of fuel.

2) Now the momentum in the crankshaft starts driving the piston back toward the spark plug for the compression stroke. As the air/fuel mixture in the piston is compressed, a vacuum is created in the crankcase. This vacuum opens the reed valve and sucks air/fuel/oil in from the carburetor.

Once the piston makes it to the end of the compression stroke, the spark plug fires again to repeat the cycle. It's called a two-stoke engine because there is a compression stroke and then a combustion stroke. In a four-stroke engine, there are separate intake, compression, combustion and exhaust strokes.

You need to "mix" 2stroke oil with the gas so all the parts of the motor stay lubed, if not your motor wont be running too much longer.

tants
01-12-2003, 03:43 PM
Yes there is many advantages of a 2stroke engine, but here are some disadvantages (got some info off howstuffworks.com and also some of my own knowledge)

Disadvantages:
-Two-stroke engines don't last nearly as long as four-stroke engines. The lack of a dedicated lubrication system means that the parts of a two-stroke engine wear a lot faster. This means more rebuilds to a 2stroke engine, but at a lower cost then a 4stroke engine.

-Two-stroke oil is expensive, and you need about 4 ounces of it per gallon of gas. Trust me, buying oil every month from the shop gets pricy!

-Two-stroke engines are less efficient miles per gallion wise compared to a four stroke engine.

Two-stroke engines produce a lot of pollution -- so much, in fact, that it is likely that you won't see them around too much longer.
The pollution comes from two sources. The first is the combustion of the oil. The oil makes all two-stroke engines smoky to some extent, and a badly worn two-stroke engine can put out huge clouds of oily smoke, every see your friends crappy 250r when he starts it???

Sparks425Ex
01-12-2003, 04:37 PM
Copy Paste . Those were your steps in writing this Thread. You must own a 2 stroke. Only 2 steps. LOL

Wow I geuss ppl care more about 4 strokes then 2 strokes.
Hmmmmm. Bee Won't be to happy.

tants
01-12-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Nacs425ex
Copy Paste . Those were your steps in writing this Thread. You must own a 2 stroke. Only 2 steps. LOL

Wow I geuss ppl care more about 4 strokes then 2 strokes.
Hmmmmm. Bee Won't be to happy.

i got some info off howthingswork.com

what were you talking about more people care bout 4strokers?

sly400ex
01-12-2003, 06:01 PM
Probably because there were more replies in how 4 stroke works....All good info though man.........

tants
01-13-2003, 12:39 PM
bump

wilkin250r
01-13-2003, 05:53 PM
Another item to mention, which gets only slightly more technical.

Two strokes are not as efficient as four strokes. Even if the compression is the same, there is less fuel and air in each compression stroke than there is for a four stroke.

However, without cams and valves, fewer moving parts, two-strokes can rev much higher than four strokes. This is why four strokes have a deep roar, and two strokes have a high-pitched buzz.

AndrewRRR
01-13-2003, 06:04 PM
I guess that all depends on your definition of "efficiency". 2 strokes produce much more power per CC of displacement which in my mind makes them more efficient. Thats why they let 4 strokes up to 450cc run with the 265cc and under 2 strokes.
Great technical info can also be found at www.macdizzy.com.
It's too bad the EPA is trying to phase out 2 strokes, they are a lot of fun.

tants
01-13-2003, 06:14 PM
will the 2stroke ever be illegal or ride?

what about all the tools and stuff that are 2strokes, weed wackers, chain saws, leaf blowers... :huh

310Rduner
01-13-2003, 11:35 PM
i agree with andrew, nothing says how efficient a 2 stroke is when it takes almost more than twice the cc's in a heavier, engine, with a taller center of gravity. all the things that make 2 strokes efficient imo can be stemmed from the engine: lighter, lower cg- tighter turning, and More Power (insert grunts):macho

stupid hippie enviro-nazzis, i swear sheez.

i dont think they will ever be able to bann people from owning and operating 2 strokes.
in cali ( not sure if its nationwide) we must have our bikes red or green stickered. all 2 stroke atv's after 96' or so must be red stickered, and can only ride certain months, not that its enforced really.

but all the bikes b4 that like the 250r's are untouchable under those restrictions cause they were pre-stickers, and are automaticaly green stickered like mine

ThorChick
01-14-2003, 10:18 AM
Yeah they will have a really tough time banning 2 strokes that have already been produced. The EPA did pass that law that has strict emissions requirements (most likely killing off 2 strokes) going into effect 2006 however.
Hey think of it this way... if they ban 250r and Banshees from the dunes, what the **** are they gonna use to catch us violators??? Their electric golf carts? hahaha

tants
01-14-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by ThorChick
Yeah they will have a really tough time banning 2 strokes that have already been produced. The EPA did pass that law that has strict emissions requirements (most likely killing off 2 strokes) going into effect 2006 however.
Hey think of it this way... if they ban 250r and Banshees from the dunes, what the **** are they gonna use to catch us violators??? Their electric golf carts? hahaha

lol true

Bean
01-14-2003, 08:02 PM
they probably will use 2strokes just to keep up with the offenders, lol