PDA

View Full Version : Weired noises coming from bike

harford #450
09-15-2009, 02:20 PM
Hi, iv got an 07 ltr and have had it for a couple of months without any problems, however when i went out on it last, when i went into the higher revs in the 3rd and 4th gears a loud clicking noise was coming from the bike. Is this a common or is it a more deeper problem coming the tranny or the crank etc?

Thanks

miles Machine
09-15-2009, 03:05 PM
sounds like you blew the 3rd gear set....common on these bikes

atveric132
09-15-2009, 05:27 PM
yea it sounds like the tranny. 06 & 07's arent commom for the tranny but it does happen. 08's have the major problem.

22LTR450
09-16-2009, 08:38 AM
Happened to my 07. I say check i out before it gets worse.

If you want to verify without removing the entire motor and splitting the cases you can take the cylinder off and look down into the back of bottom end. You can see third right there.

harford #450
09-16-2009, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the help, but I looked into it abut more today. I didn't have a look at the gears directly but I changed the oil and do large prieces of metal were found, so if the cog for 3rd gear has broken would the broken tooth come out in the oil?

22LTR450
09-16-2009, 02:42 PM
Usually the teeth break when they go. And as far as the pieces of metal coming out in the oil, I thought the same thing. I didn't find anything the oil change before when I pulled the clutch basket to look in the cases that way. I didn't see anything wrong so I put it back to gether and rode it a few more times until I finally decided I didn't like the noise, and tore it apart. When I drained the oil to tear it apart. I tried to put the case drain bolt back in and one wouldn't go in. So i put a magnetic tool in the hole and out came a chunk of gear. Alot of times the peice of gear is bigger than the drain hole and you won't see anything.