PDA

View Full Version : cdale

dobber21
09-15-2009, 01:28 PM
my buddy has a Cdale speed i think its the yellow one the motor is shot and was wondering wat kind of money would be involved getting parts for it completely rebuilding the whole motor. and is it hard to get any other parts just wondering if i wanna make a wicked fast quad for like sand and ice it would be a project quad

witech
09-15-2009, 03:32 PM
Well if it was driven to destruction without updates then you can expect to pay this as average cost for these common parts
Crank $400-$700
Cams $200
Bearings$ 100
Valves $60
Aluminum valve cover$120
Aluminum water pump impellar$50
Bottle of locktite$20
Scavange gears $20
Decompresion mechanism rebuild$50
One way starter clutch $60
Stock piston kits with new sleeve /rings$120

Parts are plentiful and fairly cheap. The real issue is if you dont do the updates and have it built paying attention to detail to all the little checks and unusual things that need inspecting you will be replacing lots of parts again when it blows chunks. I build about 10 dale engines a year and some can be updated for a couple hundred but those driven to destruction can cost over $2000 or more easy.
Stock built (35 to 40 hp) are around 20 to 25 hours labor to do all the updates and a quality build
The 50 to 55 hp engines which i strive for are around 40 to 45 hours labor .
I teach classes on how to build dale engines for those who want to do them themselves which I prefer . Since there are no dealers or shops anywhere capable and experienced in proper updating of the engines. If you just take it to your local good ol jap quad tech I guarantee you will be in for a huge bill and a short life engine. Many have learned this lesson .
If you really get your act together and become an information sponge you can build an awesome reliable dale that can perform as well and in many cases better than the more expensive 450 quads from other brands. Cannondales are not for everyone . They are a special orphan quad with special needs in many ways like the CanAm . If you are up for it it can be very rewarding. If you just want to cob it together and hope for the best I recomend selling it or parting it out.
My motto is Cannondales cannot be bought ,they must be earned.
Cannondaleriders.com has all the info and answers you will ever need. The manuals are free for downloading.

Each engine can break down from something simple and cheap to repair or be a total loss. First step is a quality teardown and inspection using proper tools and procedures. Then go from there.

dobber21
09-15-2009, 04:13 PM
wow thanx for all the info. i thought i read somewhere on here about a 450 engine that can be bought if that is true how much would it cost and is it a true cannondale engine?

dobber21
09-15-2009, 04:17 PM
and would u be willing to maybe build it for me if i do decide to take on this project with every update available and going for that 50-55 hp wat do u think it would cost?

an how hard would it be for me myself to build the engine, im a diesel mechanic and have done a couple engines, if i have a the right manual would i be able to accomplish it myself im looking not to spend a lot of money but i dont wanna cheap my way out of it. i wanna build it right

witech
09-15-2009, 04:29 PM
If you want i can schedule in a training day to fill you in on the ins and outs and where to find parts. Your not to far away(about 1.5 hours) You have a pm

happyboy
09-15-2009, 04:40 PM
Yeah, since you are up in Wisconson you should hook up with John (Wistech). He is a plethora of information but watch out, he'll have you going 90mph on a snow mobile trail in no time. :)

dobber21
09-16-2009, 11:46 AM
well i guess should have talked to my buddy earlier i talked to him today and he sold it a year ago didnt have a clue he onlysold it for a couple hundred dam thats a kick in the @$$

witech
09-16-2009, 01:42 PM
LOL those are the ones we salivate to snap up.

dobber21
09-16-2009, 03:24 PM
lol yeah well thanx for the info if i find another deal like that on one ill most likely hit ya up for some help. thanx

cannibal03
01-12-2010, 06:53 PM
Just wondering were i can get that piston with sleeves and a crankshaft your talking about witech?

Thanks

witech
01-12-2010, 07:43 PM
Cannomoto,blackwidow and timbomoose sell cranks .Timbomoose is the performance warehouse. I also keep a good supply of cranks ready to go and a pile of used parts as well .

cannibal03
01-13-2010, 04:21 PM
What about a stock piston with new sleeve, piston rings, and gaskets?

speed 450
01-15-2010, 05:00 PM
Same people above will have them