PDA

View Full Version : Buying 450x-input before pulling trigger tomorrow

rinaldi
09-15-2009, 01:18 PM
I have read a bit on the quad and realize there have been some issues. Ran across a dealer for $4500 new for an 08 450x and they perform the recalls before sending out the quad and provide documentation of the open recalls, work performed, etc. They said out of the remaining 450x's they have only 2 needed all three recalls and it was based on VIN number sequence. Does that sound accurate?

I am debating on buying the extended Can Am 2 year warranty for $699 which is something I normally would never do. But since the factory 6 month warranty won't do me much good (going into winter) and the issues this quad seems to have makes me think this is a good option? Opinions? The one year warranty is only $150 less so for the small difference I feel if I went with a warranty the 2 year would be best.

I have an 06 Honda 400EX I just bought new less than 12 months ago and it is rock solid. Just looking for better suspension, more power etc and adding suspension, a arms and rear shocks on my 400 I am looking at close to $2700.

Flynbryan19
09-15-2009, 02:07 PM
With their record I wouldn't DARE think of buying an 08'. I would have to get a steal of a deal to buy an 09'. But, there are plenty on here with blind loyalty that will say theres nothing wrong with them.... Look the boards over and see how many problem threads there are. Theres that many for a reason....

ProspectorJim
09-15-2009, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Flynbryan19
With their record I wouldn't DARE think of buying an 08'. I would have to get a steal of a deal to buy an 09'. But, there are plenty on here with blind loyalty that will say theres nothing wrong with them.... Look the boards over and see how many problem threads there are. Theres that many for a reason....

Most of the problems on this board are the same 3-4 repeated over and over again. Look at all the other boards, Don't think they're all problem free.

With the recalls done the DS450 is pretty damn solid. Can-am takes very good care of their customers, especially those with the extended warrenty. The only negative thing I can say about the Can-am is that, with the exception of BCS Performance, there just isn't much of an aftermarket for these quads yet.

rinaldi
09-15-2009, 02:36 PM
I appreciate the input, but unless you own a Can Am 450x or did own one I don't put much value in your view point. I read many negative things as well, hence the reason for the extended warranty as a safety net. Even if there is problems I would sure hope Can Am would fix the problem or face the issue of their reputation being tainted.

Flynbryan19
09-15-2009, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by rinaldi
I appreciate the input, but unless you own a Can Am 450x or did own one I don't put much value in your view point. I read many negative things as well, hence the reason for the extended warranty as a safety net. Even if there is problems I would sure hope Can Am would fix the problem or face the issue of their reputation being tainted.

You don't have to own one to see the reputation they've built for themselves..... Good luck with your new purchase.

blaster99
09-15-2009, 02:55 PM
I own one, and you are crazy to go with another brand. Can-am is the best thing out there, hands down.

rinaldi
09-15-2009, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by ProspectorJim
Most of the problems on this board are the same 3-4 repeated over and over again. Look at all the other boards, Don't think they're all problem free.

With the recalls done the DS450 is pretty damn solid. Can-am takes very good care of their customers, especially those with the extended warrenty. The only negative thing I can say about the Can-am is that, with the exception of BCS Performance, there just isn't much of an aftermarket for these quads yet.

I only plan on an exhaust and intake if that is what is needed to make it breathe a bit better. I was hoping it comes equipped enough I don't get mod crazy. I started doing that to my 400 and I enjoy modding the quad, but at a point it gets out of hand. Hoping to get this equipped good enough with suspension etc to just leave it for the most part.

450Rida
09-15-2009, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by rinaldi
I only plan on an exhaust and intake if that is what is needed to make it breathe a bit better. I was hoping it comes equipped enough I don't get mod crazy. I started doing that to my 400 and I enjoy modding the quad, but at a point it gets out of hand. Hoping to get this equipped good enough with suspension etc to just leave it for the most part.

the suspension is really good on it. it comes kinda stiff from the factory but its easy to adjusted to your liking. a pipe and intake will make a big difference cause the stock muffler is realy restrective. ive had mine for since they came out and all i got is a pipe and no lid. if u get the x it comes with better bars, tires, rims, nerf bars and all the other stuff you would end up putting on it. i still got my ex with over $15 grand into it but the 450 is still better.

RoadRage77
09-15-2009, 05:35 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by rinaldi
[B]I have read a bit on the quad and realize there have been some issues. Ran across a dealer for $4500 new for an 08 450x \

Lucky dog, I've been looking like crazy too. Cheapest I was able to find a 450x out the door(cash) 4850.00

rinaldi
09-15-2009, 05:39 PM
At $4850 that is a great deal if you don't have to have it shipped or drive too far to get it. This one has to be shipped to me and that will run $450 in an enclosed trailer. So really to get it to me without the extended warranty it will run me just under $5k.

xrxmxcx
09-15-2009, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Flynbryan19
You don't have to own one to see the reputation they've built for themselves..... Good luck with your new purchase.

Your right, you don't have to own one to see the reputation they've built! Can-am has really stepped it up and has a reputation that is bar none in the ATV MX scene. Support from professionals, right on down to amateur level is phenomenal and you can't beat these machines as far as handling and power. I clock in at 200lbs and run all weekend with kids on quads with full race motors. And to kill the old saying that the 250r is one of the best handling quad ever made, the DS stole that reputation and I don't even want to get back on my Baldwin YZ444F National built hybrid (Walsh, Axis, etc..)

DS with the stock motor, pipe, intake and some suspension setup and your good!

comander420
09-15-2009, 07:52 PM
One thing I don't understand is, this is a CanAm forum right? Why does everybody and their brother come in here and make points with out ever owning one? You would think they would be in the forum for what they own. If you don't or haven't owned a DS keep your opinions to yourself!

grannysleeper
09-15-2009, 08:06 PM
You took the words out of my mouth! Seems like every post has some dummy talking trash like they know all about these quads, and they usually haven't even seen one in person! It gets tiring reading all of that junk! Are the forums for the other makes like that too? Little off topic, sorry...

Get a Motoworks pipe, take off the lid like the others have mentioned, and do the "pink wire" mod, and you have a VERY competitive quad for very little money!

fortune46x
09-15-2009, 08:51 PM
Just switched from a customaxis/janssen racing450r to a epic racing ds450x best change I ever did, very light responsive bike and fast! couldnt be happier...

mebcop
09-15-2009, 11:03 PM
Well, I had a motor/tranny go in my 08 regular DS, but don't get worried....

I was A YEAR OUT OF WARRANTY, and Can-Am bought me a BRAND NEW 2010 motor/tranny!!!!!

They could have told me to go pound salt, and there is nothing I could have done or said since it was a YEAR out of warranty, but no, they took care of me!!!

I had a HORRIBLE experience with my dealership, but it had NOTHING to do with Can-Am....

I would suggest getting the extended warranty, simply due to the price of a long block being $4200.

ml450r
09-16-2009, 07:03 PM
I sold my can am. The only problem I had with canam is I didn't have a GOOD dealer close to me(3 hours away). The bike is a little underpowered for racing at the national level. I had the 09 mx model. I think if all the updates were done to your 08 you would be fine. Most riders would never push their bikes to the point I pushed mine.

I don't think you could find a better bike for the money. You will be fine with the power coming off a 400ex.

rinaldi
09-16-2009, 07:27 PM
Local dealer here is about 20 minutes away.