PDA

View Full Version : Lucked out. Now I got to fix it.

jarfly
09-15-2009, 11:47 AM
Looks like im keeping my 86 R. Im the proud new owner of a 85 full size chevy. I have a 350sb to put in it. But thats another post to my R now.
I have a after market carrier in my swinger.It has roller bearings in it and I need to get some new ones. I have no ideal what make the carriers it is. I have looked ever were for a name. I can not get the carrier out of the swinger eather. The number on the bearing is 32008 or something like that.(will make sure later bearings is in my moms truck) And I think the make of the bearings is BORE.
Now with my brake stay. The bushing is gone and have one on order. But what holds the brake stay on the carrier? Is there pose to be a snap ring or something?
Also can I run stright water in my rad? When I took it apart to paint the frame I drained it.
Now for some good news. I have another R on the way. It is CHERRY. Ever thing to the pipe is bone stock. It is an 89. Bad thing is the engine had stright gas ran in it and blew up. Been sittin since 89 in a garage with a top over it. It still has the tits on the tires.
Is the engine trash? Can it be reubilt?I am thinking of puttin the leagers and a few outher things on it and sellin the old r off by parts.
Thanks

Saul76
09-15-2009, 11:55 AM
Is English your first/primary language?

zedicus00
09-15-2009, 12:02 PM
take the bearings to a machine supply shop and have them matched. or type the number into google/yahoo, that should get you enough info so you can track down replacements.

normally a snap ring, hard to say with out seeing your set up, some aftermarket manufacturers differ.

no, run distilled water and a silica-free antifreeze. (dexcool works good, or toyota coolant, the blood red stuff)

if the 89 is bone stock and mint KEEP IT THAT WAY. the engine can be fixed and that is all you should do to it, if you wanted a little more power have the ports cleaned up on it while they are fixing the engine.

PROMISE THE R COMMUNITY THAT YOU WILL IN NO WAY MOLEST IT, PERIOD.

89rwfo
09-15-2009, 12:47 PM
good advise on the coolant, as far as getting the carrier out of the swinger make sur you skid plate bolts are not too long and locking in the carrier.
As far as the 89 goes do not touch it or molest it. This thing is very fixable and will be worth a whole lot more bone stock! post some pics as soon as you get it im very curious what it looks like.

good luck with the carrier

jarfly
09-15-2009, 01:09 PM
Yea. Sorry Im not that good with spelling. Kill me.lol
But it will be in 2 weeks befor I will have the 89 in my hands. I all ready have a down payment on it. I will swing by the guys place and take some pics.
Thanks

250Renvy
09-15-2009, 01:14 PM
Don't know what to comment on the bearings etc.
Not worth replacing IMO - just get a new carrier since it's only $40 more usually than new bearings.

In regards to the 89 - you will definitely have to post pictures.

You may have found a gold mine of a quad - very desirable.

If the thing had been sitting outside since 89 then it's probably a withered wreck but if by some chance someone put straight gas in the thing and ran it the very first time they brought it home and it's sat in a barn or garage, covered since 89, you may have a very valuable quad. Even though every rubber piece on it would probably be dry rotted including the tires, many pieces would still be in mint shape and without any rust would make the thing a collectors item.

But this may be all wishful thinking.

250rPRIDE
09-15-2009, 03:36 PM
ya whatever you do, do not touch the 89, untill you post pics and get honest reviews about it, if its as nice as you say it is a gold mine!!! the motor will not be a hard fix, and i am sure you could make huge money on it without even toughing a thing, and then go buy any aftermarket bike you want....

jarfly
09-15-2009, 04:01 PM
Yes I will post pics as soon as I get her home I have to wait till another payday. The 89 is very nice. I would say It may have been road 3-4 times. The guy bought it for his son in 89 he ran stright gas thro it wile the dad was not home and blew it up. Been sittin ever since in a garage with a old army tarp on it.
My buddy was over one day and said Hey I know were an 89 is for parts. Went and looked at it and WOW. As soon as he pulled the tarp off it was like walking in to a dealer ship and looking at one in 89.. I looked it over and said sold. Gave the guy a little to hold it till i get my pay check. He has all the paper work for it also witch Is like new also. Been keep in a zip lock bag for the past 20 or so years. How much would one go for?

250rPRIDE
09-15-2009, 04:48 PM
post some pics and we will go from there. cant judge anything from words. if its as nice as you say, and you go over it to make it perfect your talking some real good cash,,,,

Saul76
11-19-2009, 09:13 AM
I'm guessing this mint 'rode 3-4 times' 89 was just a figment of someones fantasy?

LOL