PDA

View Full Version : How a four stroke engine works

tants
01-12-2003, 03:21 PM
Ever wonder what the heck makes your quad move from point A to point B? This is how...

First off its called a "four stroke" motor because it goes through four "strokes" to produce its power. The four strokes are...

1) Intake stroke
2) Compression stroke
3) Combustion stroke
4) Exhaust stroke

The steps are...

1) The piston starts at the top, the intake valve opens, and the piston moves down to let the engine take in a cylinder-full of air and gasoline. This is the intake stroke. Only the tiniest drop of gasoline needs to be mixed into the air for this to work.

2) Then the piston moves back up to compress this fuel/air mixture. Compression makes the explosion more powerful.

3) When the piston reaches the top of its stroke, the spark plug emits a spark to ignite the gasoline. The gasoline charge in the cylinder explodes, driving the piston down.

4) Once the piston hits the bottom of its stroke, the exhaust valve opens and the exhaust leaves the cylinder to go out the tail pipe.

Now the engine is ready for the next cycle, so it intakes another charge of air and gas.

And that my friends, is how a 4stroke engine works :D

AtvMxRider
01-12-2003, 03:23 PM
You bored tonight Tants? J/K:D good explanation.

01-12-2003, 03:25 PM
thank you for this amazing peace of info, i already read this in my science book at skool while i was bored

Dave400ex
01-12-2003, 03:29 PM
Actually most Guys call it the Power Stroke and not the Combustion Stroke! Check this link out! http://www.howstuffworks.com/category.htm?cat=Eng

Steven
01-12-2003, 03:33 PM
well put

tants
01-12-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by WarriorMan
Actually most Guys call it the Power Stroke and not the Combustion Stroke! Check this link out! http://www.howstuffworks.com/category.htm?cat=Eng

yup, i got most of the info off howstuffworks.com and also put some of my own knownledge into my post

beerock
01-12-2003, 03:50 PM
4 is off a little bit.

the exhaust valve opens and the energy from the combustion stroke sends the piston back up to the top to PUSH the EXHAUST gas out of the cylinder.
then the exhaust valve closes and the intake valve opens and the piston goes back down for the intake stroke.

tants
01-12-2003, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by beerock
4 is off a little bit.

the exhaust valve opens and the energy from the combustion stroke sends the piston back up to the top to PUSH the EXHAUST gas out of the cylinder.

thanks for correcting me, i wasnt sure

Sparks425Ex
01-12-2003, 04:35 PM
I am now an expert on 4 strokes. Thank You Tants. LOL.

You deff musta been bored.

DEAL
01-12-2003, 04:53 PM
Next lesson: How babies are made.

tants
01-12-2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Nacs425ex
I am now an expert on 4 strokes. Thank You Tants. LOL.

You deff musta been bored.

no prob. and yes i was bored

tants
01-12-2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by FreeStylexrider
Next lesson: How babies are made.

LMGDFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

tants
01-13-2003, 12:39 PM
bump