PDA

View Full Version : NCMP - track changes are awesome for ATV riders

quad2xtreme
09-14-2009, 07:50 PM
For those who haven't visited NCMP recently or ever...

NCMP made some great changes to the race track that really make the track more enjoyable for the average B or C class quad rider (and bikes too). Some of the really technical jumps that weren't being done by more than 15%-20% of the riders have been toned down or replaced completely. The big step-up to tabletop is still there if you want to go big and clear it all or you can just make it to the tabletop which some 85cc riders were doing yesterday. :eek2: The step-down triple is still there too. For the most part, the track was improved for racing and to make it more rideable for those who visit often but have no desire to be a pro level rider. A decent B class rider can hit all the jumps on a bike and look forward to honing race skills. On a quad, a decent B class rider can hit all but 1 or 2 jumps. There are still 2 "supercross" style jumps...one is only a 35' tabletop and the other is about 55' tabletop.

The rhythm section is gone....replaced by a tabletop and a double. The other jumps had the landing ramps extended. From what I saw, it seemed that the riders could stay lower and faster.

Flagging for an entire day really made me understand why dirt bike guys hate quads. There were 3 to 4 rut lines around every turn. Even some of the smallest riders on 65 cc bikes could hit a rut WOT and carve through the turn. It was amazing. There wasn't anywhere that they couldn't make a pass....in the turns, on a straight, over a jump. I have to say that watching bikes race up close is way more exciting than watching quads race and I am a quad rider. If I had a choice between going to NCMP to watch local bike races versus the ATV National at Birch Creek, I would rather be at NCMP. We watched back-and-forth battles in so many of the classes.

Jessica Patterson can scoot. There were several guys faster than her but I was super impressed. If I could ride like that and stay up, I would be on a bike in a second.

Well enough already. If you are from the cold North and need a place to ride this winter, plan a trip to NCMP. BTW, don't plan on visiting Archer's Lodge. They don't allow quads any more. They are the latest NC track to lock quads out.

Jon

jherbie28
09-15-2009, 06:48 PM
awsome review jon, i wish you didnt hurt yourself and i could of rod with ya down there last year:devil: sounds like its better off now anyhow. id love to get down there this winter, maybe kevin will give me a raise:D