PDA

View Full Version : Insulating a steel building

wvspeedfreak
09-14-2009, 05:46 PM
What is the best way to insulate a metal structured garage?I heard about a spray foam that adheres directly to the metal walls and ceiling.Any info is appreciated.

Pappy
09-14-2009, 05:48 PM
Heat is for sissys:devil:

wvspeedfreak
09-14-2009, 06:48 PM
You are correct.I am insulating it to keep the cool breeze from the air conditioner in.

quad2xtreme
09-14-2009, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by wvspeedfreak
What is the best way to insulate a metal structured garage?I heard about a spray foam that adheres directly to the metal walls and ceiling.Any info is appreciated.

Jason,

Call this guy in Texas. He operates a winery and had the entire inside of his steel building sprayed. He is the nicest guy and will provide you with the info. Obviously, it will hold up to the Texas heat and it gets really cold in Wichita Falls too.

Awesome wine too. He can tell you more about wine that you could ever imagine.

Wichita Falls Vineyards & Wine, Inc.
3399 "B" Peterson Rd. South
Iowa Park, Texas 76367
Phone: 940-855-2093
Fax: 940-851-5022
Email: wine@wichitafallsvineyardsandwinery.com

wvspeedfreak
09-14-2009, 07:53 PM
Thanks Jon.I will get in touch with him about it.

fastredrider44
09-14-2009, 09:36 PM
Only thing I don't like about the spray on is that after a few years, it starts looking bad from the dust and what not. and it is nearly impossible to clean.

matt14c
09-14-2009, 09:43 PM
For my dads pole barn we just built 16 on center walls in between the large poll studs then used standard owen corning roll insulation then covered it with 1/4" ply. It was pretty easy and after being painted looked pretty good. It has held up awhile and he heats it with just a small wood burner stove and cools it with two window air conditioners. Its a 30x40 poll barn with 12' ceiling. That way also we were able to put outlets and switches and things like typical house wiring without having to run conduit everywhere. As far as price I dont know.

aDviSol2y
09-15-2009, 01:22 PM
Use what is called condensation blankets. They come in diferent widths of rolls. They have varying thickness's for diferent R values. They are made for Metal buildings. The company we use is called JT Johnson. They are located in Kent, WA. Im sure they probably have other locations. Google them. This is what we recomend for all of our customers.

5pennys
09-15-2009, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
Jason,

Call this guy in Texas. He operates a winery and had the entire inside of his steel building sprayed. He is the nicest guy and will provide you with the info. Obviously, it will hold up to the Texas heat and it gets really cold in Wichita Falls too.

Awesome wine too. He can tell you more about wine that you could ever imagine.

Wichita Falls Vineyards & Wine, Inc.
3399 "B" Peterson Rd. South
Iowa Park, Texas 76367
Phone: 940-855-2093
Fax: 940-851-5022
Email: wine@wichitafallsvineyardsandwinery.com

That's kinda funny. I live in Wichita Falls and my wife really likes going to that Vineyard. Small world, lol.

A friend of mine is probably the one that sprayed the vineyard building. He owns/operates one of the two businesses here in town that does the spray foam insulation. He sprayed my garage for me and I love it.

One thing you can do that he does is shave the foam down so that it is flush with the studs/beams and then put up some kind of wall or paneling. That's what I did to my garage after he sprayed it and shaved it. That way you don't see the foam.

I know he does travel for jobs but I don't know how far he will go. I can give him a shout and get his business phone number for you if you would like to talk to him.

Jeremy

quad2xtreme
09-15-2009, 02:07 PM
It is a small world. My stepson has been stationed at the Air Force base for the last 3.5 years so we've been down 3 or 4 times so far. It was definitely a good spot to be located before he went to Saudi Arabia for 4 months. Texas can be hot, hot, hot.

Jason, you should buy the 30X40 shed I have stored at Dan's right now. I was only looking to get 1/2 of what I paid for it. It doesn't have either end though. I wanted to finish the ends myself. I was thinking about coming up to get it before winter. I hate to let it sit out again. I used to be on pallets covered with tarps when it was on my Augusta, WV property.

5pennys
09-15-2009, 02:12 PM
That's cool that your was stationed at Sheppard. Tell him thanks for what he does. The heat hasn't been to bad here this year, and it's been wet for the last several days in a row.

Sorry, thread hijack over.:)

no1 300ex
09-15-2009, 07:39 PM
I just used foam insulation on my last remodel job. It has a R value of 7.5-8 per inch sprayed. In the north east it is about 4 times the cost of fiberglass batts. The foam really creates a sealed building envelope so a lot of people will install some sort of mechanical ventilation. Most foams will flash over in a fire so code requires it covered by plywood, sheet rock, etc. however foam companys also sell a foam product to spray over the foam insulation wich is fire retardant but it is a extra. Only bad thing about foam is if you spray the underside of a roof deck and the roof leaks good luck finding where the water is getting in.

FHKracingZ
09-16-2009, 12:56 PM
Im not sure where you are located but menards carrys special post frame insulation. I believe it is 5 foot wide roles. You could do it the easy way and just foil face sheet it.

wvspeedfreak
09-16-2009, 06:50 PM
Thanks for all the info everyone.

mxduner
09-16-2009, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by no1 300ex
In the north east it is about 4 times the cost of fiberglass batts. The foam really creates a sealed building envelope so a lot of people will install some sort of mechanical ventilation. however foam companys also sell a foam product to spray over the foam insulation wich is fire retardant but it is a extra. Only bad thing about foam is if you spray the underside of a roof deck and the roof leaks good luck finding where the water is getting in. Ok i am no expert, however i have gone to tech school for hvac. True the foam spray does create a very tight seal, but, as you stated, you have to add ventilation. does that not make 1 think hmm??? okay you can seal off so good but yet you have to use electric fan's an such just to let outside air (infiltration) back in anyways? does not add up imho.

in my state we now have to install air to air exchangers that pump outside air into the space. They run for a good amount of time thru out the day. They add cost to the initial install, they add cost to run, and they add cost to maintain. not to mention they make (little) noise and congest space with the addition of extra venting. o that also cost money.

For you my friend to block off heat i would go with traditional bats or a couple of the other's suggestion. Maybe look into type's of reflective materials to send the heat back. think the difference between standing in the sun and the shade, same concept but even better.

Remember in the summer with heat it is very moist, hence the extra ventilation. If this was just for a heating app. and no permits where pulled, i'd be all over the spray foam

no1 300ex
09-17-2009, 06:12 PM
Mxduner I hear ya about the air exchanger. But they dont use much juice and you can get them with heating coils in them. It does seem weird tho. You have a building with foam insulation and basically you need a hole in the wall for make up air. I think of it like this. Every building needs to breath but with energy efficient buildings all you do is control air infiltration or how and when the building breathes. Now you also have to take into account combustion air. If ya want to see something crazy check out this link. Read the example, all of it. http://www.houseofcraig.net/combustion_air_calc.html Good point on the reflective materials. They work great!