PDA

View Full Version : need help motor problem

450Rida
09-14-2009, 05:25 PM
i was jus out riding today, rode for about two hours then thiss happened. i was going full throttle and it jus cut out. the check engine light blinks and the quad will not start. it turns over but will not start. i noticed there is alot of oil on the left side over the motor where the head gasket is. so im thinking maybe i blew the head gasket? but there is no oil on the right side of the motor. any help would be greatly appreciated.. thanks

TNT
09-14-2009, 07:57 PM
Sounds like you blew the head gasket by the cam chain and are loosing oil pressure. We're replacing our's now, sucks getting it out without removing the motor. I got a thread below on how to do some guys have helped we'll try what DS450racer said tomorrow. :D Gunna be like shaving a nats a** getting it by the upper frame. :rolleyes:

rinaldi
09-15-2009, 01:20 PM
450rida, isn't that covered under warranty? Would you still recommend the quad? I am planning on pulling the trigger tomorrow on an 08 as well. Debating on getting a 2 year Can Am warranty.

450Rida
09-15-2009, 03:13 PM
my warranty was the 6 month and ive had it for almost two years i think, i got it when they first came out so i dont think so, so i might jus do it myself. gotta talk to the shop where i got it tho cause one of their mechanics broke the coolant line, so im pretty sure it blew cause of the coolant leak? it was pretty low on coolant, so it would have overheated i think. ya i would still recomend it, its a great quad.

450Rida
09-15-2009, 04:40 PM
so i jus talked to the shop and i guess i do have the 2 year warranty. so they gonna fix the head gasket and do a full service all covered under warranty, labour and parts. so im really happy about this. should have it back for the weekend.

draygarcia
10-01-2009, 08:13 PM
did your bike have low oil when this happen my bike doing the samething but it starts and keeps running just cuts out every once in awhile but i got oil on the side of my engine top to but its not bad

witech
10-01-2009, 08:22 PM
So how does a oil leak cause a stalling issue. Do they have a oil pressure fuel pump energizing curcuit?

draygarcia
10-01-2009, 09:00 PM
i dont know what that is my bike all stock so if it comes with it it might be any help i think it might be the fan but i not sure on how to check it or the fuse for it if it has one

TNT
10-01-2009, 09:42 PM
The battery energizes the fuel pump to pressureize the system so it can start.

Dray, sounds like theres a possibility you may have blown your head gasket too. If you have oil coming out of your head gasket on the left side of the engine where the timing chain is you may be loosing oil pressure. Look for head gasket coolant leaks that can cause the quad to shut down all the sudden and engine light. If the light stays on it's in a protective mode, if it flashes it's less severe.

It can be all kinds of things but start there look for coolant and oil and find out exactly where it is coming out and let us know we'll try and help ya out.

From there check all the common things like wire connections and two important engine case grounds on the right lower side of the motor I think it is, if your battery looses ground or over charges it will trip the engine light. Check your battery and relay connections, check fuel lines, wheep hole coolant pump for leaks, and make sure you got coolant flow in your hoses and the pump is working they go out easy, look it all over. It may even be a bad coolant temp sensor.

draygarcia
10-01-2009, 09:47 PM
ok thanks i check them it out tomorrow and get back to you thanks