PDA

View Full Version : 450r engine noise

modaddyoh
09-14-2009, 12:12 PM
Had my 450r rebuilt some time ago and ever since the rebuild alot of noise and a ticking sound have been coming from the top end. I put a 480 big bore kit with stage 1 hotcam. Replaced valve's, bucket's , spring's and whatnot. Guy who rebuilt it said he replaced the decompression lever and spring. Maybe he didn't and that's where the noise is coming from? It has plenty of power and all engine bearing's were replaced, it is a nightmare to start and seldom just die's for no reason and won't idle. Maybe a completly different problem with the carb. Just wondering if anybody else has had to deal with engine noise and i'm i on the right track with the decompression lever or spring? Thanks in advance

smw450r
10-04-2009, 09:15 PM
valves need adjusting sounds like to me and he may not have adjusted the decompresser correctly its not a hard job but your need a feeler gauge and new shims for the valve clearances

sparkyjoe81
10-05-2009, 05:33 AM
I agree sounds like valve adjustment. You can also get some top end noses from preignition. If you don't run high test already, I would try some.