View Full Version : Thorchick or any other with aftermarket bars for 300ex~~

QuadJunkies
01-12-2003, 12:56 PM
Hey girl...could you do me a favor and post a pic of your ride with the new handlebars on them??Or, anyone with 300ex with dif bars please post..If you go with aftermarket bars,then what choices do I have for a new light? I have only seen one other on here that had dif headlight, anybody know of any links to where I can find?? I will need lights for duning at night...I want to buy this next week, so any ideas are appreciated...Thanks, :)

Pvt. Maggot
01-12-2003, 01:15 PM
like this? heh...20 dollar bars+88 r hood=blingin :rolleyes:

Don't look at the guy on the quad...i look like a stoner :p

sweet300ex
01-12-2003, 04:05 PM
as soon as i get my ignition mount i will post pics of my fly bars

kc 300EX
01-12-2003, 07:28 PM
if you get Renthals, or bars with a removable crossbar like Renthals have, you can take it off and keep the stock light and handle bar plastic

QuadJunkies
01-12-2003, 11:58 PM
Are there sopme nice lookin headlights out there that will work for my 300ex??Im not sure where to even look..:confused: I will prol go with renthals ..I knw when ordering for the 400ex, there wasnt much they sold for it..so im assuming same goes for the 300...

AndrewRRR
01-13-2003, 06:43 PM
Here's a pic of thorchick's EX. I had some good ones of the handlebar install but I can't find them right now.
If you ditch the handlebar plastic (which makes the quad look MUCH better IMO) you'll need to mount the key switch somewhere else. I just fabbed one out of aluminum and mounted it to the handlebar clamp. The stock light doesn't need the plastic so we kept that for now.
As for lights you could go with some lazerstars or ricky stator lights (www.rickystator.com). I have the 30w dual aluminators on my R and they are much brighter than stock (i'm getting 50w bulbs when I get my stator rewound). Pretty much any 12v lights will work, but some last longer than others. One day of riding and drag racing at the dunes killed a cheap-o 35w driving light I had.
If you find out how many watts the stock stator/alternator puts out you can determine how powerful your lights can be.

AndrewRRR
01-13-2003, 06:52 PM
Here's a pic of my R with the Ricky Stator Aluminators. They are very cheap (haha yeah right, $225)! They replace the upper handlebar clamp.
Some of the Trail Tech ones (look similar to these) I believe have a place for the key switch. Rocky Mountain www.rockymountainatv.com carries those($135).

bakerboyz
01-13-2003, 08:34 PM
how's this?

QuadJunkies
01-13-2003, 09:07 PM
WEll .. I went ahead and ordered some Renthal bars today.:) I didnt think about the ignition..:confused: hmmm.. May I call upon you for any help I may need redoing AndrewRRR???~~~BTW~~ You gonna try and come up to Idaho with her and dunes with us in July?Hope you can make it down..;) Im sure I will have questions in a few dyas on mounting when they come.....Tina Also, thanks all of you for the pics and help... I will check out the headlights too, any more headlinghts, please post them.. I ckecked with Rocky Mnt and they didnt have anything to offer.Godd god.. 225.00 for headlights!!! Well I will stick with my ugly one for awhile I think...:D

killed300ex
01-14-2003, 05:24 AM
buy the handel bar plastic off the 250x i think it was on the 89's but not positive i think it holds the key ect and covers the wire and makes the stock headlight looks ok it just cleans up the handel bar area imho and it looks good i think they only sold them in red also.
killed

QuadJunkies
01-14-2003, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by AndrewRRR
Here's a pic of thorchick's EX. I had some good ones of the handlebar install but I can't find them right now.
If you ditch the handlebar plastic (which makes the quad look MUCH better IMO) you'll need to mount the key switch somewhere else. I just fabbed one out of aluminum and mounted it to the handlebar clamp. The stock light doesn't need the plastic so we kept that for now.
As for lights you could go with some lazerstars or ricky stator lights (www.rickystator.com). I have the 30w dual aluminators on my R and they are much brighter than stock (i'm getting 50w bulbs when I get my stator rewound). Pretty much any 12v lights will work, but some last longer than others. One day of riding and drag racing at the dunes killed a cheap-o 35w driving light I had.
If you find out how many watts the stock stator/alternator puts out you can determine how powerful your lights can be. AndrewRRR~~~Do you have a pic of it with the re-mount of the ignition? Is this very diffuicult to do? Anyone else have pics of it???

AndrewRRR
01-14-2003, 10:29 AM
Yeah I can get pics of it if you want. Hey maybe I should mass produce this stuff and sell it. lol.
It's not hard to do with a few tools. If you want to email me when you get ready to do it my email is Oregon350r@aol.com.
Yeah I'm gonna try to make it to Idaho in July too. Who knows, maybe I'll have the R1 motor in my Suzuki by then and I'll bring it too. Look out for the 150hp Suzuki that can't jump! LOL
Of course, Thorchick never lets me ride it anymore..... lol jk

QuadJunkies
01-14-2003, 10:50 AM
Yeah I can get pics of it if you want. Hey maybe I should mass produce this stuff and sell it. lol.
It's not hard to do with a few tools. If you want to email me when you get ready to do it my email is Oregon350r@aol.com.
Yeah I'm gonna try to make it to Idaho in July too. Who knows, maybe I'll have the R1 motor in my Suzuki by then and I'll bring it too. Look out for the 150hp Suzuki that can't jump! LOL
Of course, Thorchick never lets me ride it anymore..... lol jk 150hp zuki??? dang.. Hope you can make it, would be cool to meet ya both..;) I will email ya in a few days .it should be here in 2-3 days..:D is Thorchck slealin your ride now?? hmm Maybe time to upgrade that girl.since shes a power nut and all..:p

ny300exrider
01-14-2003, 01:44 PM
heres a pic of the 250x keyholder...i too am in the market for some new bars but i think im gonna get some things i really need first....like saving for some tires

ny300exrider
01-14-2003, 01:45 PM
side....it makes it look way better imo

muff
01-14-2003, 02:07 PM
here's what my 300 looks like, renthal bars and trailtech lights, the key is mounted in the side

muff
01-14-2003, 02:09 PM
actually I didnt have the renthals on in the pic, i thought i did tho

puttin the ignition in is fairly easy, just drill a 1" hole, sand a little to get the edges smooth and get the hole a little bigger, then cut a small notch in the side and the key will slide right in, just make sure you dont drill it to close to the tank or it won't fit

heres a pic of the trailtechs on

QuadJunkies
01-14-2003, 02:28 PM
oh i like that idea!!!Ill post mine when I get her done..Thanks everyone..;)

muff
01-14-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
oh i like that idea!!!Ill post mine when I get her done..Thanks everyone..;)

ok cool, when you're puttin the key switch in cut the notch so the key is in an easy position to turn on and off, like dont have it horozontal when off cause it'll be harder to turn it on real quick cause it'll be in an awkward position

AndrewRRR
01-14-2003, 07:08 PM
150hp zuki??? dang.. Hope you can make it, would be cool to meet ya both..;) I will email ya in a few days .it should be here in 2-3 days..:D is Thorchck slealin your ride now?? hmm Maybe time to upgrade that girl.since shes a power nut and all..:p

Yeah she needs more power! Last trip to the dunes she rode Casper more than I did. Out there spankin banshees. lol. I almost thought about putting the ninja motor from Casper into her EX but then it would be too heavy to jump. Need to pay the thing off and get her a Banshee or a 250R!

QuadJunkies
01-14-2003, 10:16 PM
Yeah she needs more power! Last trip to the dunes she rode Casper more than I did. Out there spankin banshees. lol. I almost thought about putting the ninja motor from Casper into her EX but then it would be too heavy to jump. Need to pay the thing off and get her a Banshee or a 250R! ypu me also ready for an upgrade,I love my 300, but I could use some more power, is she a big jumper?Im still trying to get the nerve to let er fly!:p Im doing better on the hils climbing and nned more practice on those wheelies, but Ill get it down eventually..;) after the 400ex is sold(will bew gone in about Apr i think), mine wlll be next!:blah

Crazy Honda
01-14-2003, 11:25 PM
hears an old pic of mine keys in the side fog lighs from wallmart 20 bucks gotta love wallmart lol:rolleyes:

QuadJunkies
01-14-2003, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Crazy Honda
hears an old pic of mine keys in the side fog lighs from wallmart 20 bucks gotta love wallmart lol:rolleyes: I was told by a someone today about those.. I think ill check them out...thanks for posting your pic for me to see!!:) ;)

QuadJunkies
01-14-2003, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Crazy Honda
hears an old pic of mine keys in the side fog lighs from wallmart 20 bucks gotta love wallmart lol:rolleyes: BTW~~ what is the brand on them??I only need them for duning so that may work out good and not too spendy? do they work good??..So they work ok for the stator/alt ok??Do you know what I can run for watts and be safe to run?Anybody know what lights are safe to run??

Crazy Honda
01-15-2003, 12:01 AM
BTW~~ what is the brand on them??I only need them for duning so that may work out good and not too spendy? do they work good??..So they work ok for the stator/alt ok??Do you know what I can run for watts and be safe to run?Anybody know what lights are safe to run?? I dont know what brand they are. But get ones that you cant see the glass from the top. The ones in that pic blind me when I stand up.lol. I havent had any probs with the charging system yet I dont think it will just stay below 25 watts a light. thats the same as the lazer lights if you go over 100 watts go with a hi output stator.

AndrewRRR
01-15-2003, 10:17 AM
I like that bumper. Is it a Graydon?
I'm not sure what the electrical system in a 300ex can handle. Supposedly the one in the R is 100w but Ricky Stator says to go with 2 35W lights and get your stator's lighting coil rewound to run more than that without problems.

bigbadbrad
01-15-2003, 02:40 PM
here are the ricky startors i would have gotten instead of my stock one if i would had known about these when i got my 300ex
http://www.rickystator.com/pages/Oval%20Lighting%20System%20for%20ATVs.html

hey crazt honda what kind of rear maier fenders are those? are those the low profile ones? and did they come with the #plates?

Butters
01-15-2003, 03:16 PM
here is a pic of my renthals with my 250x ignition holder.

300EXrider02
01-15-2003, 04:29 PM
here is mine, its an older picture

QuadJunkies
01-15-2003, 08:45 PM
WOW... the pics look great with all that goofy plastic off,I should have my bars tmorrow im hoping!!:p

QuadJunkies
01-16-2003, 06:57 PM
Ok... my bars came today..:D now my question is...there are pre-drilled holes in the bars that the headight switch/ignition switch lock into...The aftrmarket bars have no pre-drilled holes..so the question is...Do you drill a hole in the new bar,or cut off the notches on the headlight/ignition mounting switch,so they fit in a hole or flush to the bar??

muff
01-16-2003, 07:16 PM
do you have man hands and arms?

anyways I just cut the tab off with a razor blade, you could also file it down if you wanted, just keep the bolts a little tighter so it won't slip

drilling a hole seems like a good idea until you want to move your perch and lever around or something, then you'll be drillin more holes and stuff

300EXrider02
01-16-2003, 08:07 PM
ya i shaved it down, it might make it weaker and crap and u wanna move it around so dont bother, jsut make it tighter, then get a a diff cluch perch and get rid of all that dumb stock one

QuadJunkies
01-16-2003, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by muff
do you have man hands and arms?

anyways I just cut the tab off with a razor blade, you could also file it down if you wanted, just keep the bolts a little tighter so it won't slip

drilling a hole seems like a good idea until you want to move your perch and lever around or something, then you'll be drillin more holes and stuff LMAO!! un no.. this was me taken the pic, sheesh not my hand:p .. Im more feminine than that!!:p

QuadJunkies
01-16-2003, 11:18 PM
Yeah, I was thinkin maybe nota good idaeto cut on brand new aftermartket bars,and beingalumium,but wasntsure and all,just neede more info before I go do it...Thanks..Tina(no that is NOT my hand in the pic)..;) :p

AndrewRRR
01-17-2003, 10:03 AM
Yes that's how I do things. Don't fit? (insert angry grunts here).... get out the dremel or the die grinder! That plastic nub didn't stand a chance ;)

ThorChick
01-18-2003, 02:23 AM
Wow, a thread with MY name on it! I feel special!! I looked through the pics I have to see if I could find a better pic of my bars with the switch Andrew was talking about and found one. It really isn't a very good pic but I lightened it up a bit to see if you could see where he mounted the switch.
You are gonna love your Renthals! It really does seem different after you put them on. I actually felt like a big kid when I took the handlebar plastic off too. hehe :D Gives it a better all around look.
Anyways, here's the pic!

Braff1
01-18-2003, 02:48 AM
Here is a pic of my Renthal (300 ex bend). If you look closely just below the handlebars you can see where I relocated my key switch. The tab on the switch, I cut it off. I would not recommend cutting into the bars since it could weaken the overall strength of the bars especially on the end if you like jumping.

Dan

QuadJunkies
01-18-2003, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by ThorChick
Wow, a thread with MY name on it! I feel special!! I looked through the pics I have to see if I could find a better pic of my bars with the switch Andrew was talking about and found one. It really isn't a very good pic but I lightened it up a bit to see if you could see where he mounted the switch.
You are gonna love your Renthals! It really does seem different after you put them on. I actually felt like a big kid when I took the handlebar plastic off too. hehe :D Gives it a better all around look.
Anyways, here's the pic! Thorchick~~ well its about time you showed up!!!:D j/p...Tell Andrew thanks for the help..I have my bars on now, wow def fells dif.. Did you know that the bend is dif than the one on the 400ex?I thought they would be same..Ill post some pics when I get her cleaned up a lil...it def looks better, now for some new lights...hehe

QuadJunkies
01-20-2003, 04:28 PM
heres the finished product.:D not sure I like the bend to the bars yet...

QuadJunkies
01-20-2003, 04:29 PM
another..

KrazyKid300ex
01-20-2003, 05:39 PM
quad junkies please pm with the type of bars and how much you paid and where you got them if you don't mind. ill have other questions too. thanks alot!

QuadJunkies
01-20-2003, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by KrazyKid300ex
quad junkies please pm with the type of bars and how much you paid and where you got them if you don't mind. ill have other questions too. thanks alot! hey, :) I got the Renthal ATV bend, they cost me 59.99 through rocky mountain..very east to put on... any thing esle you need to know... let me know.. TIna;)

Braff1
01-21-2003, 06:25 AM
The pics of your new bars look sweet. Did you get the Renthal soft grips? Let me know if you like them. I also noticed you are still running the stock head pipe, have you ever thought of gettig an aftermarket pipe? When I changed mine it really help waken the little beast up.

Dan

QuadJunkies
01-21-2003, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by Braff1
The pics of your new bars look sweet. Did you get the Renthal soft grips? Let me know if you like them. I also noticed you are still running the stock head pipe, have you ever thought of gettig an aftermarket pipe? When I changed mine it really help waken the little beast up.

Dan Actually I do have an aftermarket pipe, its a Yoshimura slip on.;) I got the firm grip for my grips from Renthal also, these are a lil more narrow than stock, they too will take some time to get used to...heres a pic of the pipe I run

300EXrider02
01-21-2003, 09:25 AM
you need a header, it will work wonders

QuadJunkies
01-21-2003, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by 300EXrider02
you need a header, it will work wonders Do you know the Dyno's on the changes with a full system? I know the full system on our 400 with the Yoshi was good, but really,for a 300 ,does a full system make that much a dif on it?

300EXrider02
01-21-2003, 11:51 AM
trust me the stock header is very restrictive...a header is a must, if reall really makes a difference, only for a 100 or so dollars...post a thread to ask people, they will all say the same

QuadJunkies
01-21-2003, 12:03 PM
trust me the stock header is very restrictive...a header is a must, if reall really makes a difference, only for a 100 or so dollars...post a thread to ask people, they will all say the same hmm I didnt look to see what ya have, but I know the hewder wasnt that cheap on the 400... total cost was close to 700.00 for both!:eek: Worth every dime though... Now the reason it cost so much is because we bought the header separate then.. Ill have to get some feedback and maybe even give yoshi a call.. Thnaks for the info, I can use all the xtra I can get out of this baby,.,;)

Braff1
01-21-2003, 01:40 PM
I replaced mine with a Supertrapp ids 2 complete system. I had a Powroll header before that I ran to the stock silencer (the reason I did this is because I actually bought another complete system and the silencer was way too loud , louder than my PC T-4). In both head pipes the diameter is twice as big as the stock, you could place the stock pipe inside the powroll. We know that the more air you move through the engine the more power you are going to get. Out of all the mods to my 300 EX, the header is the one that gave me the most bang for my buck. Even when I ran the stock silencer with the Powroll header the increase in power was very noticable.

Dan

AndrewRRR
01-21-2003, 05:32 PM
Do you know the Dyno's on the changes with a full system? I know the full system on our 400 with the Yoshi was good, but really,for a 300 ,does a full system make that much a dif on it?

I believe White Bros claim a 2-3hp gain with their header when used in conjunction with the E-series. I can't say for sure the "butt dyno" difference since we replaced the whole exhaust at one time on Thorchick's EX, but it really woke the bike up.
It's price wasn't too bad, It's $117 from Rocky Mountain.

QuadJunkies
01-21-2003, 11:05 PM
well, im sad to say.. Im not really liking my new bars:(.. the bend is not rt ,Im trading them in for a 400ex bend, Im a bit taller and also, the grips have a weird angle tothem.I talked to Renthal today and they think I should order the bend for the 400ex and will help me with my height too.I guess we will see..To me the angle feels like on a Harley. sorta.. If I pull the bars forard then they are too low for me, they are NOTHING like stock at all.. Else they sent me the wrong bars, or something..:confused: Ill post my new ones here when they come...

KrazyKid300ex
01-22-2003, 04:35 AM
so im 5 10 also so i should get 400ex bend maybe?? or 300ex bend. i don't know about this bend crap. im getting taller also so i need to know. thanks

muff
01-22-2003, 04:40 AM
did you try turning them back a little bit?

because in the pics the end of the bars seem like they're going up, if you turn the bars back a little bit they will be pointing back instead of up

QuadJunkies
01-22-2003, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by muff
did you try turning them back a little bit?

because in the pics the end of the bars seem like they're going up, if you turn the bars back a little bit they will be pointing back instead of up I will give this a try before sending them back... thats exactly it... they kinda go "up" right about where the grips are causing my wrist to sorta turn in..its kinda hard to explain..:confused:

muff
01-22-2003, 08:23 AM
I will give this a try before sending them back... thats exactly it... they kinda go "up" right about where the grips are causing my wrist to sorta turn in..its kinda hard to explain..:confused:

no I know exactly what you mean cause my friend did that when he bought renthals for his 300, just turn them back a little bit and it will be good

300EXrider02
01-22-2003, 01:06 PM
the best bars to get are the fourtrax bend, thats it, their perfect, ask anyone with them, i got thme and they fit perfectly, o ya there the perfect bend, and all that crap, height and all, the 300ex bend is crap

QuadJunkies
01-22-2003, 01:15 PM
the best bars to get are the fourtrax bend, thats it, their perfect, ask anyone with them, i got thme and they fit perfectly, o ya there the perfect bend, and all that crap, height and all, the 300ex bend is crap This is the fourtrax bend..;) Ill work with the bars tonight, maybe just needs what Muff said for me to try...

QuadJunkies
01-22-2003, 01:18 PM
This is the fourtrax bend..;) Ill work with the bars tonight, maybe just needs what Muff said for me to try... I should SAY.. the INVOICE says it is the right bend,but the bars may have been the wrong ones shipped they siad.,butthen... well, long story short.. there is a BIG ***** fight going on as we speak over at Rocky Mnt. ATV with Renthal over the CORRECT way to mount,if you look in the catalog, they tell you you HAVE to remove cross bar, you call them ,they say NO.. this is a HUGE story here i wont get into but lets just say , i took a crash course on Renthal bars in one day..:huh :p

AndrewRRR
01-23-2003, 10:24 AM
The crossbar? Are they thinking you'll reuse the stock handlebar plastic cover or something?? :rolleyes:
I think you got the wrong ones. When I mounted them up on the 300EX they went right on and the bend was the same as stock (I even layed the bars up flush against each other and they were the exact same). The only problem was that little plastic nub on the kill switch that I had to grind off.

QuadJunkies
01-23-2003, 10:56 AM
The crossbar? Are they thinking you'll reuse the stock handlebar plastic cover or something?? :rolleyes:
I think you got the wrong ones. When I mounted them up on the 300EX they went right on and the bend was the same as stock (I even layed the bars up flush against each other and they were the exact same). The only problem was that little plastic nub on the kill switch that I had to grind off. ill post a comparison later today...stock vs. renthal to compare..

300EXrider02
01-23-2003, 01:55 PM
mine fit fine....there towards me a little, but fit perfectly, i think they ment that if you keep that gay lookin sheild plastic??

QuadJunkies
01-24-2003, 11:25 AM
WEll, I think I fixed the problem..and Muff, you were right about the bars being too far out...I only wish I could get both, too far out then it feels better for standing. too far in i feel like I may go over the bars///:confused: but too far the other way then too far up when sitting..This thread I think has been a very informative one for 300 ex bars.. I thank you all for your help. Ill post one more pic of the bars..

300exracer
01-24-2003, 08:13 PM
Ya i have been thinking of geting renthal bars for my 300ex but i aint to shure how they will look with out the handle bar plastic.

KrazyKid300ex
01-24-2003, 08:22 PM
300exracer please look at the pages.. damn there are pics. i ordered my renthals today in 400ex bend.(pappy and muff said they were better) and ordered the samer guards as 300exrider in yellow. oh my bars are silver also. ill post pics when i am done