PDA

View Full Version : someone explain rear linkages?

bigbad400
09-13-2009, 11:54 AM
i hear alot of talk about these different rear shock linkages mx xc whats the difference and what are these things supposed to do and how, im considering one and i want to know if there is any modifying things or do i need the shock rebuilt, or what?

i assume ill want the xc one since im not a mx rider?

quadrider00
09-13-2009, 02:41 PM
GT Thunders linkage article

http://www.gtthunder.com/Suspensions.htm

bigbad400
09-13-2009, 06:23 PM
thanks that explained the concept quite well... now what about those that are out there. how do i choose one? what is involved in installation? any modifications needed?

is there someone who has installed one on there own machine, firsthand what is all involved in this?

lghickman21
09-14-2009, 10:31 AM
when you purchase a linkage from someone, they will have one for your type of riding or shock setup. there is only three bolts to remove on the 400 to replace the linkage. you will just have to support the bike by the frame somewhere. the new linkage should have new bearings and bushings in it, so you shouldn't have to worry about those. just unbolt the old linkage from the frame, shock, and other linkage. then install the new one in reverse order.

Snipe
09-14-2009, 10:58 PM
XC linkage requires some modding as it can caust the exhaust to hit the rear rotor.

bigbad400
09-15-2009, 09:20 AM
i have no rear brake, no caliper no rotor, no nothing. would it work or will i just bottom it out on the swingarm now.

i hate rear brakes. never had them on any of my machines, and i prolly never will. i have yet to use them or want to use them. and never came to a spot were i needed them, so thats not at all a problem.