PDA

View Full Version : 450r or DS450 which to buy...

RoadRage77
09-13-2009, 10:22 AM
Well to start off with I did post on the DS450 page of this site, but I don't seem to be getting any info on what I want to hear. And I don't have much time to pull the trigger if I wanna buy these bikes.. so...
What to buy ds450 or honda450r
I've been thinking about getting a new bike. I really like the CanAm's. I dont know anybody with one, so the only thing I know is what I read on the net. I've been reading all the problems the DS450s seem to be having. Motors, tran's, cluthes and bolt backing out.
So, If you guys were in the market for a new bike what would you consider buying? CanAm450 or 450r? CanAm's look so wicked after I've seen the graphic kits, wheels and all the other goodies you guys put on those bikes. I dont want to be stuck 40 miles in the woods on a brand new bike.
I just found a dealership selling a 2008 CanAm 450 for 4200.. tags still on the bike and the little stings on the tires still on !!!. 4200 sounds like a great price especially down from the 7100 (i think they wanted)
I don't ride track, just trails and hillclimbs mostly.
So.. DS.. or 450r ???

700Xxrida
09-13-2009, 03:41 PM
i would go with the honda, because there cheaper also are more
relaibel. but keep in mind neather have reverse but the kawasaki kfx has reverse also the kfx is a great quad had that before i got
my honda 700xx. i would highly recamend the kfx 450 its a fun quad

honda 700xx with big 3 and fox flaots shocks

RoadRage77
09-13-2009, 03:51 PM
Honda is not cheaper in this case. Its 6252 out the door.. the Canam is like 4600.00 out the door. so its 1600.00 difference that I could put towards shocks... but I already have 2 400ex's that I could steal the hiper wheels off of for the 450r.... IM not a big Kawi fan and the honda 700 really doesnt appeal to me. The reverse feature is nice, but im already use to not having it, so not a big deal.

ProspectorJim
09-13-2009, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by RoadRage77
Honda is not cheaper in this case. Its 6252 out the door.. the Canam is like 4600.00 out the door. so its 1600.00 difference that I could put towards shocks... but I already have 2 400ex's that I could steal the hiper wheels off of for the 450r.... IM not a big Kawi fan and the honda 700 really doesnt appeal to me. The reverse feature is nice, but im already use to not having it, so not a big deal.

Those hipers will fit the canam too. They're the same bolt pattern. The honda lug nuts will not work though.

RoadRage77
09-13-2009, 04:10 PM
Ahh, thanks for that little insight Jim. Nice to know! well, thats another 1000.oo I won't have to spend lol.

woodrow7777
09-14-2009, 07:32 AM
only bad i have heard about canams are the foot pegs are not removable and break.. whenthey break there is no replacing them.. other than that it seems like a pretty solid quad mechanically! i would jump on it!

later aaron

ProspectorJim
09-14-2009, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by woodrow7777
only bad i have heard about canams are the foot pegs are not removable and break.. whenthey break there is no replacing them.. other than that it seems like a pretty solid quad mechanically! i would jump on it!

later aaron

the foot pegs are removable, I've done it.

rollie
09-14-2009, 08:53 AM
Hondas are cheaper to maintain USUALLY!!! there very reliable, and used aftermarket parts are incredibly easy to find and around me anyway there are FAR more honda dealers than can-am.

That being said, ( i hate the "my friend" storys but its all i have on the can-am)

My friend has one and it has been a great bike to him so far, he loves it, he had some small electrical issuesearly on that got ironed out, also after a BAD wreck his frame bent, but Can-am has taking VERY VERY good care of him. They are a company that truely CARES about the owners of there products so if you get a can-am you can feel good knowing the companys behind you!! and they SUPPORT racing