PDA

View Full Version : Starting Problem

300ridr
09-13-2009, 09:42 AM
I have a serious problem. When i hit the start button, nothing happens. But, if i jump the solenoid with a screw driver it will start like its new. So i bout a new solenoid and the same thing happened. Could it be my ligt and start box thing on my handle bars? The catch to that is that my lights turn on, but only when the bike is running but get dim when i rev it. Can someone please help?

Tommy Warren
09-13-2009, 11:49 AM
hold the start button and hit the starter with a hammer and if it works then you need new brushes in the starter. but if not it probably a faulty relay.

ss420ex
09-13-2009, 07:02 PM
i had the same problem after i did my rebuild. it took me weeks to figure it out. check all of ur wires comming out of your handle bar controls and follow them and study where they go... i doubt its the stator brushes if its turning over fine by the solenoid. but i could always be wrong. other than that... get a hold of a multi-meter(voltmeter) and test EVERYTHING. good luck man.

shiley55
10-20-2009, 04:20 PM
i had almost the same problem b4 and the problem ended up being that my battery was just bad id check and make sure its good first casue if the lights arnt coming on when the bike is off but do come on when it runs id say you have a bad batt or the wire isnt carrying much current for 1 reason or another

bobizzle
10-20-2009, 09:03 PM
It could be all of them, but i have a thumb kill button from a dirt bike, to start my bike, and it would work sometimes, i popped it open and found dirty contacts. i cleaned the contacts, and it works now on. spray some electrical cleaner in the button to clean the contacts, with out opening it.

300ridr
10-22-2009, 04:11 PM
figured it out. my key had power to it but not from it, so i zip tied a light switch there for now

bobizzle
10-23-2009, 10:27 AM
i bet its better than not being able to start it up and ride