PDA

View Full Version : Tires!

krazyrider
09-12-2009, 09:39 PM
I'll be needing all new tires for my 07 400ex soon. I've been looking at the new Maxxis Razr Ballance and Razr 2 in 20'' rears and 21'' or 22'' fronts. I ride technical rough trails. Any suggestions? Is anyone even running the new Ballance tires yet?

matt14c
09-13-2009, 11:36 AM
You really wont be disapointed with either of those im guessing. I havent seen or used the ballance edition but with him being the kind of GNCC im guessing they will be great for what you will be doing. Same with the razr 2's. If you look through racing pics alot of riders use the razr 2's. The only thing I would suggest is if you ride alot of rocky stuff with large rocks then possibly the larger tires the better. It will give you more ground clearence.

bigbad400
09-13-2009, 01:15 PM
i just looked at them and they look great, alot like the gncc or i razr, im not a fan of maxxis tires myself but i cant say there not a good tire. i personally use itp tires. or even some kendas once in a while mostly the geckos thow for the dunes.

TRXRacer1
09-13-2009, 05:41 PM
Razr2 fronts may very well be the best front tire ever made for mix use sport riding. For the rear though it wouldn't be my first choice. Kenda Knarly or razr for the rear.

krazyrider
09-13-2009, 06:01 PM
why are racers choosing the razrs over the razr 2 rears they are mych more agressive and the tread is much deeper.

TRXRacer1
09-13-2009, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by krazyrider
why are racers choosing the razrs over the razr 2 rears they are mych more agressive and the tread is much deeper. Too agressive. You don't want so much traction that your essentially plowing.

racerdan24
09-13-2009, 06:57 PM
I agree....The Razr 2's have so much bite that it is actually too much. There is no controlled slide at all with the 2's. Example: I was trail riding last weekend,came out of the trail and onto another trail,took a quick left,started a nice controlled slide out of the turn and then the tires hooked up and threw me. the side bite is ridiculous. I have also used Holeshots and razr mx's. I would have to say the razr's may be the way to go.

IcutMetl
09-13-2009, 09:36 PM
I have experience with both Holeshot XCR's, Razr's, and Razr 2's. Out of all of them, Razr 2's are by far my favorite. They have ungodly traction; and I was in love with the ITP XCR's...until I took a chance on the Razr2's. They definitely do not slide as easily as the standard Razr's, but once I got used to it...just fine. I'm able to go thru more stuff slower with less throttle than any of my friends on their standard Razr's or I was able to on my XCR's balls out. I've ran into, up, and over more stuff with these tires, and they are soaking it up like crazy with no problems.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them, and I was a Holeshot guy too until I said what the heck and took a chance.

My opinion is this. If you're riding mainly dirt, mixed trails, track, etc...regular Razrs would be an awesome choice. If your riding involves anything sloppy...rutted trails, creek crossings, climbing slippery hills or riverbanks, along with the other stuff...Razr 2's without a doubt.

The Razr Ballance edition tires look awesome, but geez I choked enough paying what I did for mine...but $114 a tire?

racerdan24
09-14-2009, 05:00 AM
I agree with you icutmetl, They are definitely incredible for trail riding,ruts and mud like the conditions last weekend. Maybe i have not had enough time to get used to the razr 2's to get an accurate handle on the side bite when trying to slide out the quad.
I found i could get through the tougher conditions with less throttle than the rest of the gang. So its a fine line we all walk as far as conditions in each riders area. I unfortunately race ( razr mx ),trail ride ( razr 2) and do alot of flat riding ( holeshots).

I have spent way to much on tires and rims,but have at least one set for each condition i would be riding. So its a matter of someones budget i guess for the all purpose tire they would need.

IcutMetl
09-14-2009, 02:27 PM
Yep; it's definitely a compromise depending on where you ride, how you do it, and what you ride thru or on. For me, I'll deal with a little extra weight and more side bite everywhere else. They slide just fine; I just might have to get a little more aggressive with the clutch and body english:) When they do slide, man do they throw the roost!

racerdan24
09-14-2009, 05:53 PM
I agree 100% with the roost part. I have had guys behind me ***** because i throw roost,not on purpose, at them and then they try to get in front of me to return the favor. It is a definite fine line when choosing tires. i unfortunately have spent way to much on rims and tires already this spring but where i ride i needed the availability of different tires for different types of terrain. I have to say, the razr mx i use for racing are great but they definitely wear extremely fast. Holeshot HD's i bought late last year seem to be holding up the best with the razr 2's are very close second for wear.

krazyrider
09-14-2009, 06:00 PM
How do you like the holeshot HD's compared to the razr 2? I still havent heard of anyone running the new Ballance tires yet.

racerdan24
09-14-2009, 07:18 PM
Love the Holeshot Hd's great for trail riding and are holding up really well for a 6 ply tire for wear. I would love to try the Ballance tires but i just can't justify the price. Its basically paying extra for the name i feel. They may be great tires but i just don't know until someone i know uses them.