PDA

View Full Version : GT ThunderXC linkage height

moshachusetts
09-12-2009, 03:12 PM
i just installed my gt thunder stock rebuild and xc linkage. i knew it was going to lower the ride height but i didnt think it would lower it that much, it appears to be a couple inchs but i didnt actully take any measurements.

also when i sit on the bike and the shock compresses there is only about 1 to 1 1/4 travel before it hits the bumper. is this normal? just seems like i'll be bottoming out constantly. anybody with this setup can you confirm that this is normal before i go out riding tommorow?

i'm not saying anything is wrong , just looking to see if this is typical of this setup.

thanks

Pipeless416
09-12-2009, 03:37 PM
i have the xc link, except with an elka shock. it lowered mine exactly 2 inches.. and i already had my ride height a little lower to begin with. i believe thats about the same as the shaft length on mine too.

this is next to my brothers with his 18 inch rear tires.. mines still lower, even with my 20's.

moshachusetts
09-12-2009, 03:43 PM
do you bottom out a lot?

Pipeless416
09-12-2009, 03:45 PM
i haven't really had a chance to ride it hard yet, but just messing around in the yard.. haven't yet. i was trying to see how it would soak up just flying into the ditch and it seemed great.

moshachusetts
09-12-2009, 04:13 PM
cool,thanks! i'll try it out tommorow then

quadrider00
09-12-2009, 04:27 PM
you probably need to set your race sag and ride height and it wont always bottom out.

http://gtthunder.com/ShockSetup.htm

moshachusetts
09-13-2009, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by quadrider00
you probably need to set your race sag and ride height and it wont always bottom out.

http://gtthunder.com/ShockSetup.htm

well i took it for a quick spin and it was riding so low i broke my nerfs. so i checked the sag and it measures 2 inches too much.
this set up article says to make small adjustments to change the preload and to make large adjustments to use a stiffer spring.

i would say 2 inches is a large adjustment so am i screwed and need a stiffer spring?

i really dont know any thing about suspension setup so any help is greatly appreciated.

quadrider00
09-13-2009, 01:40 PM
you can probly get close if not right on by just adjusting the preload because they put it at the softest setting you can run. so they leave a lot of adjustment in it.

moshachusetts
09-13-2009, 01:52 PM
you can probly get close if not right on by just adjusting the preload because they put it at the softest setting you can run. so they leave a lot of adjustment in it.

i'll give a shot and see how it is. but i'm not so sure about how much adjustment in the preload is actually left to play with. over 3/4's of the threads are already used up. and i have my compression set all the way to hard. without anyone sitting on the bike the sag is 4 inchs and thats what it's supposed to be with me on it.but i'll try the preload and see what happens.

Thanks

quadrider00
09-13-2009, 02:09 PM
if its that bad you may need a stiffer spring

moshachusetts
09-13-2009, 02:16 PM
if its that bad you may need a stiffer spring

thats what i was thinking. maybe there was a mistake and i got the wrong spring. i got a email into them and i'll see what they have to say about it.

Thanks

moshachusetts
09-13-2009, 03:01 PM
also i lifted my airbox 1/2 inch but now the seat doesnt latch tight and comes loose riding. is lifting it really needed? they say so but they also say the subframe needs to be modified and mine doesnt. did have to space out the exhaust.