PDA

View Full Version : Cropping,printing and Aspect Ratio

QuadJunkies
09-12-2009, 11:01 AM
I ran into a wall on printing a large amt. of photos I have from an event I done last week. All of the photos Im having trouble with are ones that have edging done on them . I resized and resized and resized with no luck.. When I go ro print online (it doesnt seem to matter who does the printing either,lets just use Costco for an example) it cuts off the top and bottom or the sides of the edging. I done a little reading and found it has something to do with Apsect ratio. Ive never ran into this before.
So how do I now correct my photos so that all of them dont chop off portions of the image?? Im a little lost on this .
This was a wedding from a good freind of mine so its important. I have ALOT of photos Ill need to resize for printing .
Thanks!

Pappy
09-12-2009, 06:27 PM
You normally would allow for the cropping room when making the shot. I will ask some questions to my printer

QuadJunkies
09-12-2009, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
You normally would allow for the cropping room when making the shot. I will ask some questions to my printer

I did, plenty of room.. Oh gosh.. this is a toughy to explain! lol

I guess what I need ot know is when resizing photos( for 4x6,8x10,11x14 ect) what is the correct size so I know exactly before editing??For example, 640x840 . Do you measure in cm?
I do resize before enhancements, but I must still be off in sizing as photo developing sites are still trying to resize them even more,cutting off part of the image .
Im not really edging, its just the soft effects all around the photo I added that it cuts off and makes it uneven . Does that make sense ?
Im taking some PS classes this next sat. and learning more about proper cropping and aspect ratios, right now Im very confused on it. I was told about cropping for a 4x6 ratio equals 8x12 equals 16x24 ect... what I dont get is if you crop for a 4x6, how can you get photo quality for a 16x24??

Pappy
09-12-2009, 10:07 PM
4x6 doesnt equate to a 4"x6"inch photo, it is a crop but not to that size...it is itself a ratio.

I can crop to a 4x6 and have a 20x30 made of it but you still have some cutting on the linear side when printing. many of the online sites will do alot of cutting.,,,you may need to find a printer that will do the cropping to your matting

QuadJunkies
09-12-2009, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
4x6 doesnt equate to a 4"x6"inch photo, it is a crop but not to that size...it is itself a ratio.

I can crop to a 4x6 and have a 20x30 made of it but you still have some cutting on the linear side when printing. many of the online sites will do alot of cutting.,,,you may need to find a printer that will do the cropping to your matting
Any suggestions on a printer ?
Im getting ready to buy another one as my ink in the one I have now cost just about as much to just replace it . lol :p
I wasnt impressed with the colors in the ink on this last one I bought or something just wasnt working correctly from the
get-go on it.

I dont normally print my own stuff, but maybe on this one I will.

QuadJunkies
09-12-2009, 11:34 PM
I just found and AWESOME link that had some great info that makes a little more sense to me . I never knew I have been losing 2 full inches . Since I never edge my pics I have never really had a problem-until now. Im not really sure what ratio my camera has, I guess I need to check into that.
Just a little educational link to anyone else who might have questions .
http://www.digital-slr-guide.com/aspect-ratio.html