PDA

View Full Version : What to buy ds450 or honda450r

RoadRage77
09-12-2009, 10:20 AM
Hey Guys I've been thinking about getting a new bike. I really like the CanAm's. I dont know anybody with one, so the only thing I know is what I read on the net. I've been reading all the problems these DS450s seem to be having. Motors, tran's, cluthes and bolt backing out.
So, If you guys were in the market for a new bike what would you consider buying? CanAm450 or 450r? CanAm's look so wicked after I've seen the graphic kits, wheels and all the other goodies you guys put on those bikes. I dont want to be stuck 40 miles out in the woods either on a brand new bike.
I just found a dealership selling a 2008 CanAm 450 for 4200.. tags still on the bike and the little stings on the tires still on !!!. 4200 sounds like a great price especially down from the 7100 (i think they wanted)
So.. DS.. or 450r ???

RosquistRacer39
09-12-2009, 11:29 AM
If your going to race please do not buy a 450r, look at any other bike but since they pulled out of supporting us racers we should not support them in return.

RoadRage77
09-12-2009, 12:26 PM
I guess I should've said that I only trail and hillclimb kinda riding. I didnt know honda pulled away from the racers. Sorry to hear. But back to the original post....

blaster99
09-12-2009, 01:07 PM
I personally think you should go with the can-am. Get the updates and recalls done, and the quad is mint.

RoadRage77
09-12-2009, 08:50 PM
Well, I went up to the dealership to check it out in person. The one for $4200 was the lower model which is fine to me. I checked out the X model also, which sat a little better. And the bars felt just right, as the bare bones model was too low for my likings..
They wanted 6200 roughly out the door for the model X. The barebones model out the door price is 4677.00... and they had a brand new 08 450r honda... they wanted 5633.00 out the door.
The only thing the DS x model had that I liked better was the black plastic.. Otherwise I could care less about their better shocks or bigger steering stem because I would adventuly change all those parts to better aftermarket items.

comander420
09-13-2009, 11:55 AM
Sign up for the can am racer support program before you buy a ds. Also if you are really interested look on ebay. There are a couple 08 x models for around $4700-5500 out the door and it would probably another 3-500 for shipping. I picked one up for $4K out the door and paid 500 to ship it from NC to IL. I just didn;t sign up for the racer support program first so now I'm having a difficult time to get in. The only thing with the racer support is you void the warranty with the program.

RoadRage77
09-13-2009, 01:25 PM
Whats the deal with the racer support program?? Do they knock off the sticker price or what ? how much does it cost to get on. Also, with all the problems people say these bikes have, I think Id want the warranty.
I said to the salesman at the dealership, I heard they have a lot of problems with the bolts backing out of the flywheel and causing motor failures. He goes well if you already know that then I'd check before every ride and during the ride... I just looked at him and thought wow buddy.... Are you guys gonna pay for all that oil lol.. I just kept my mouth shut. Anyways.. And someone else just told me not to buy the electric start 450r cause they have all kinds of electrical problems..

coryatver
09-13-2009, 01:35 PM
I wouldn't sign up for the racer program. It voids the warranty. They give everyone the racer programs so they don't' have to fix all the problems the 08's had under warranty. If you want to actually finish the race I would get a 450r. Sure you might love the looks of the can am but it won't look good pulled over broke down.

RoadRage77
09-13-2009, 03:08 PM
That's pretty slick of them !! Anyways, If I was to get the 450r the guy has a 08 showroom floor. All the little rubber fuzz still on the bike. (what ever you guys call it, just a way u can tell its not been ridden) But he's telling me 6252.00 out the door. After I thought about it.. seems kinda pricey for a 2 year old quad, when I just saw done up gncc/mx full 9 yards done to them going for 5- 5500... with 2500-3000 suspension. I just dont want someone else's problems... Think I can get them down more, btw is electric not kick either.. so the battery is like 2 -3 years old now..

RoadRage77
09-13-2009, 03:17 PM
Another Question.. If I get the VIN off the dealer, who can I call to see if all the updates have been done to that quad? I just don't trust any dealers...

andiboy123
09-13-2009, 04:09 PM
hi road
as far as all you ? i have answer for a couple of them
i own a 08 ds x model
i have no dealerto respond to any of the recall so i had to pay for all of them
my brother own a trx 450r
so i whont be talking SH!* here jejejeje
if you decide to get the ds let me tell you make shure to your dealer about all the recall, they are suposed to do it for free
1 -clutch the most important one
2 fly wheel bolt the 2nd most important
3- back mount suport

by the way we do trailing here an lots of woods
both rides are great, 450 have rpoblems with the starting clutch he have to replace it 2 times a year and it cost around 350 every time
as far as wood trailing ds have more power respont on mud and hill and the stock suspencion is way superior
get the xc model only if the dealer get you that security of recalls warranty, get the base model if you are going to get all those aftermarket parts, black look great on the dealer but with a few rides its looks gray hehehe

RoadRage77
09-13-2009, 06:24 PM
andiboy123. thats one sharp DS ! thats what im talking about !!.. now you say have the dealer make sure of the 3 things for recalls.
3- back mount suport

What exactly is the back mount support?

And when you say the 450 starting clutch, I assume you're talking about the honda 450, correct?

coryatver
09-13-2009, 07:12 PM
if you touch the throttle while starting the electric start 450r it will break the starter clutch. It is pretty high compression and will kick back and break it. Just don't touch the throttle and you will be good to go.

andiboy123
09-14-2009, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by RoadRage77
andiboy123. thats one sharp DS ! thats what im talking about !!.. now you say have the dealer make sure of the 3 things for recalls.
3- back mount suport

What exactly is the back mount support?

And when you say the 450 starting clutch, I assume you're talking about the honda 450, correct?
thanks bro!!!!!!!!!!
if you get an electric start 450r , the starter activate spining a bearing making the engine start, and for woods and trailing i prefer an electric start( easy to start the engine on the midle of a hill heheh), that bearing sufer friction and its start sliping and at one point it wont start your engine the parts value are like 350 my brother have replace it 2 times this year..... but puting that a side, 450r are great ride on woods but like i said not like the ds...

here are some pics of what happend when you dont replace your fly wheel bolts
magneto or stator
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/ANDIBOY123/PIC-0030.jpg
flywheel
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/ANDIBOY123/PIC-0001.jpg
really easy to replace but you dealer have to order them or you can go an get forged bolts and replace them your self

here is the basket
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/ANDIBOY123/3-2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/ANDIBOY123/2-5.jpg
the 08 ds came with bad lubrication on the clutch basket, thats the noise everybody talk about, in 09 the chang the hole system adding 1 more plate changing the hole basket set up and is an upgrade you should get for free from your dealer

i didnt had the suport everybody has bc i did got my ds in puerto rico, i got it on the states and bring it here, the guy who sold it to to told me they need the quad on their shop, but my quad was on PR. when i whent to the local distributor they whent crazy on me bc i did got the ride from them and they didnt even help meto get my parts i had to pay for everything.
i spent 500 on the hole flywheel thing, and other 500 on the clutch, got a hinson basket and new plates
at the end of the day people sell their ds really cheap but the thing is taht this is the best 450 on the market rigth now, conftable, great accesories you will have to pay aftermarket parts on other quads, great torque and stock power, and real ligth compare to ltr's and 450r's
the thing is that you will not have to spend all tha money on aftermarket parts and the x paquege is the best way to go for no t spend money, just a slip on and ride.......

andiboy123
09-14-2009, 10:57 AM
sorry if miss wrote something try to tell me something in spanish and you will see hehehehehe