PDA

View Full Version : spal fan question

bigbad400
09-12-2009, 06:48 AM
so i added a spal fan to my 440 and followed the sticky to the t minus the super cooler he has, the only difference is the size of the fan (5.5 inch) and location.

i have it on a toggle switch for now, it has a fuse and thats it.

well last night i hooked it all up and switched it on with a 3 amp fuse in it just like in the sticky. the fan turned maybe once and blew the fuse. all i had was a 10 amp layin around so i stuck it in and it works fine, would the 4 inch fan and the 5.5 inch fan really use that much difference in power or is there something wrong.

everything is new and has good conectors on it and all are tight, i used electrode grease on every connector, i just dont want to run it and have problems. i cant see that fan pulling that much more power than the 4 inch fan he used in the sticky. and i dont know how to tell.

please help me.

bigbad400
09-12-2009, 07:41 AM
i checked with the manufacturer of the fan and they say it draws 4 amps, the sticky said his fan draws 1.9 amps, i guess that is alot more. so i need a 5 amp fuse or close to that then? im not too good with electrics but i do ok.

i wish i would have known i could get a harness kit with a thermostat and fuse in it for 35$ shipped. i would have done that.
i will get to it some day.

so with a bigger fuse i should be able to run it no problems?

would it be bad to leave it on for a full ride once the quad is hot? since i didnt get the thermostat i cant tell when its cooled but i would think it cant hurt, maybe the fan will burn up thow? dont want to ruin anything.

Pipeless416
09-12-2009, 09:38 AM
i think the fans have like a 6000 hour motor life. i leave mine on for hours at a time when its really hot outside. you should be ok with a 5 or 6 amp fuse. always bring a couple of extras. i have some taped to my frame just in case.

bigbad400
09-12-2009, 02:33 PM
thanks pipeless, 6000 hours... im sure ill be fine then.:eek2:

i always bring extra fuses for the quad ill make sure i pack some of these too.

so far no problems with the 10amp in it. would it be wise to drop it to a 7 and see if it holds up? like i said id rather replace a bunch of fuses than have a problem with the fan on a hot day:(

dankbud42o
09-12-2009, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by bigbad400
i wish i would have known i could get a harness kit with a thermostat and fuse in it for 35$ shipped. i would have done that.
i will get to it some day.
[/B]

where? u got a link? ty.

bigbad400
09-13-2009, 11:37 AM
ebay just type in spal fan and they have them on there. is a wire harness kit.

i know right its exciting! i hate electrics and a pre made one is probably good and waterproof too. oh well i did a good job on mine i just dont have a thermostat on it. good luck on your install.

dankbud42o
09-15-2009, 08:53 PM
thanks, i think doing the thermostat is more complicated of an install. just going to go with the switch and fuse. how did u mount yours?