PDA

View Full Version : any help with precision pro stabilizer???

craigmacphee
09-11-2009, 09:28 PM
I just received my precision pro steering stabilizer. The picture in the directions I got is very dark and I cannot see how it should look like when installed. I am planning on trying to install it tomorrow so i can get in some laps before Sundays race. Would anyone be willing to take a few close up detailed pics of their set-up so I can get a good visual as to how its supposed to hook up. It's gotta be a simple hook-up (because there is not much there) but I am having a hard time getting a good visual. Thanks in advance for any help. Craig

blaster99
09-12-2009, 09:22 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/blaster99/can-am004.jpg

that's the best I have, hopefully it helps.

craigmacphee
09-12-2009, 10:16 PM
Sweet Blaster, thanks for the pic. With your help I was able to get a good visual and get it installed. I was not able to dial it in yet. I took a few laps around my track today and it DID take some of the vibration out, that for sure. I think I need to firm it up a bit more. I will have to turn it out and see how it runs in the praqctice laps tomorrow. I'll keep ya posted. Craig

blaster99
09-15-2009, 06:41 AM
no problem

TNT
09-15-2009, 02:30 PM
That’s a nice stabilizer, the pro model. I talked at length with the owner about fluid dynamics a while back out there at Precision, sharp guy he goes back as far as I do . The pro-model is the only one w/an expansion chamber and place for hot hydraulic fluid to go, so you can mount it here behind the radiator and by the engine in a hot zone, otherwise my older non-pro model needed heat reflective tape on the mounting frame which seems to be holding up fine, or BCS makes a nice looking relocating bracket that takes it up by the bars I believe. I’ve had two Precisions since 04-05 and they still work great! I just rebuilt my hardware with a replacement DS kit. You’ll want to keep the pressure washer away from them if not check and grease the moving parts and o-rings often and it will last a long time. Nice thing about Precision too is they are easily interchangeable by just purchasing the mounting hardware I had no prob moving mine from a YAM to a DS for a low cost.

Now that you got a top of the line stab you’ll have to experiment w/caster/camber/toe and shock setting’s which takes a lot of experience trying different setting’s until you find the right combination that works for you. Key is knowing what each do individually so you can understand the entire system as a whole. One other thing to understand is bump steer and rake and how it affects your settings, this quad to me anyway has little rake and bump steer I did not notice much on small bumps or low arm travel. Understanding that might give you an indication or what setting’s you will need on this quad. Camber is real interesting and good to learn and experiment with, how it effect’s steering on bumps, straights, corners, speed, etc, and the right combination of it and steering dampening. I think a lot of people out there purchase dampeners not knowing all that impacts them and how to make the most out of them .Good luck and good purchase! :cool:

craigmacphee
09-20-2009, 06:38 PM
you mean I can't just throw it on and go? LOL

I hooked it up last Saturday and monkeyed with the settings a bit. Not sure how much exactly it helped me, but I was able to win my first moto against a guy (One of my buddies) I haven't beat all year. It was a combination of a good holeshot, good riding, good equipment, mixed with some good luck!

The 2nd moto was a little different. Me and the above mentioned buddy got tangle up in the first corner and somehow it looked like I hit the eject button. I must have flown 30 feet...landed on my back, then curled up in a fetal position. Was expecting to get blasted by the following racers.... Little did I know I was in a totally different lane, across a set of tires, and my quad was hooked to the back of my buddies...about 20 yards down the track. Neither one of us got hurt though. Thank God. We both dusted off, hopped back on, and ran like hell. It all happened so fast. He ended up catching back up to the pack. I ended up third, for a 2nd overall.

Thanks again for all the help and advice. Craig