PDA

View Full Version : 1987 250x problems....

fatboytank320
09-11-2009, 08:17 PM
I recently traded for an '87 trx250x and I had went riding and the chain slung off and busted my left case cover....I started it and drove it for a few feet to get it out of the dip I was in and shut it off and never restarted it...Came home, drained the block and got the chips of aluminum out of the case and got the case fixed and put some heavyweight racing oil in it and was kicking it over and the motor locked on me....Well it free'd up and I think I tore the rings out cuz it wouldnt even try to start.....So I got into some trading the next day and traded for a '91 frame and a new stator cover..While I was switching things over I notice the wiring harness has been spliced into and has a few extra wires running to the lights, I clipped the wires for the lights and that was all...Switched everything else over, tore into the motor put new rings into it, got it in time and everything and put some regular oil in it and tried to start it and it try's to run for like a second and then wont do anything...Then if I wait a second and kick it, it'll try to start then nothing...I'm not sure if when I switched the wiring harness over that something isnt grounding right or what but it acts like its not firing or something..Im not sure but thought maybe if I explained everything that happend maybe someone will see what maybe I'm overlooking that could be causing it not to start...Sorry for such the long *** post, just want to tell everything that happend...Thanks for any help!

09-11-2009, 08:51 PM
For starting one thing to check is if the plug is getting good spark and is gapped right. Take the plug out and then with the plug cap still on kick it over and see if it sparks. It should spark blue. Any other color or no color meens its not getting enough juice or any.

Engine needs to run
Air
Gas
Spark
Compression

fatboytank320
09-12-2009, 11:42 AM
I was messing it some more, well it's definetly getting spark, I know it's getting gas cause it does try to run. But when u kick it a couple times its like theres nothing, then outta no where it'll try to start then nothing for a few kicks and then it'll try to hit again and when it trys to hit it will just run for not even a second. This thing just has me stumped as why it is acting like this.