PDA

View Full Version : $500...? would you have bought it?

rocky_mtn_honda
09-10-2009, 08:07 PM
got this 2001 400ex from a guy on craigslist who tore the top end apart, said it was burning oil due to the blue smoke and oil in his airbox...said he was firm at $500 just lost his job and didnt know how to put it back together, since it had been over a year since he tore it apart...the bottom end was untouched...and little did i know, the countershaft bearing was wasted, but i still dont think it was a dealbreaker...im just getting pretty depressed with all the crap that im having to replace...guess you get what ya paid for...lol
a few things were missing....the cam decompressor plunger, the easily removable half of the cam chain guide, and the front motor mount bolt...did i get taken?
it was completely disassembled and bone stock...it was a puzzle...thank god for the manual and online microfiches!

honda400ex2003
09-10-2009, 08:32 PM
I woulda bought it in a heart beat. i want to find a stock one that is an 03 this next summer. steve

rocky_mtn_honda
09-10-2009, 08:37 PM
yea i almost thought it was a too good to be true kinda thing...i blew his email up as soon as i found it...15 min. after he posted it...so he goes camping for three days and finally gets back to me saying i was the first of 300 inbox messages, and he'd like to extend the offer to me if i was still interested...i was stoked, and he said he'd hold it like 6 days until i got paid...with 299 other buyers out there...im freakin stoked...just wanna get it back together and do some mild mods...advance key, k&n filter, steering stabilizer, front shocks...etc.....

Valhalla
09-10-2009, 09:20 PM
check ebay for a whole motor. it may be cheaper to go that route instead of a reassemble/rebuild.

rocky_mtn_honda
09-10-2009, 09:28 PM
already got the engine cases for $92 shipped, .040 piston kit $98, and took the jug to the machine shop today for $55, other than that its just piddly stuff...gaskets, the oil pump o ring i was missing for some weird reason, valve seals, and a little bit of time...its already tore apart out in the shop
plus it will be my first 4 stroke complete rebuild, so
i enjoy it

storms400ex
09-10-2009, 09:48 PM
got a deal on that well worth putting money into the engine

Wheelie
09-10-2009, 10:09 PM
Killer score, I would love to find an EX that needs work for $500.

brian76708
09-10-2009, 10:24 PM
yea definitely not a bad deal you could part it out for easily more than that if you wanted to. if i was you id make a yz426 hybrid.

Ryanwolfe911
09-11-2009, 05:55 AM
I traded an AR-15 I built, that only cost me about $700 in parts, for a RUNNING '04, that was burning oil really bad, but other that that the rest of the bike was totally fine!

The guy apparently wanted and needed an AR so badly (I can understand, after the election of our worthless, um, I mean fearless leader) THe price and availability of "Assault" weapons dried up. You couldn't find an AR or AK anywhere.

So those deals are out there, you just need to know where to find them.

rocky_mtn_honda
09-11-2009, 05:22 PM
yea im in the middle of the teardown and repair of near total catastrophe...but its the first machine i've owned in 15 years, and even then it was a 1988 Suzuki RM125, so...im just happy to have a fourwheeler, and it will be brand new and trick when im done with it