PDA

View Full Version : A bit off topic-anyone know much about CanAm 450X?

rinaldi
09-10-2009, 07:58 PM
They seem to be almost giving these away at under $5k new for an 08. Are these that unreliable? I read a couple warranty issues that are covered, but I was looking to add another quad to my garage and it seems almost too cheap to pass up unless there are serious issues. List is about $8400 and to sell for under $5000?

Gibson
09-10-2009, 08:16 PM
they are notorious for engine problems (mainly tranny blowing out). And can-am has a really slow turn around time because of not having parts stocked. Go on the DS forum and just read. You'll see that almost everyone has problems with theirs.

bigbad400
09-13-2009, 01:41 PM
i work for the local can am shop so i can tell first hand that they are just like gibson said very unreliable, we see alot of tranny problems, i have to say they are a very nice machine and very fast, fun to ride but they do have some issues that need to be addressed

hondaracer_34
09-13-2009, 02:42 PM
They have over heating problems, the tranny problem, lack of low end, and if you go to the ds forum on here someone did a full blown MX build and the motor blew up while getting tuned on the dyno. They are fast and fun..if you get the chance go ride one at a dealership as a test ride.

bigbad400
09-14-2009, 08:12 AM
we have never had overheating issues in our shop, definatly not a lack of power (rated second to ktm) with the pink wire cut. it releases a race map in the fuel injection.

on a full mx build they probably did something wrong or they didnt do something needed to be done on a full build.

the only problems we see are tranny related, and handling related, some dont like the way they ride and bring them in to find out that the bushings in the stem are sloppy from the factory.

all the other problems that were initially came about have bean fixed with dealer recalls.

the guy that said they have a lack of low end is completely misconceived, they are one of the best on the market right now and are compared to ktm, amazing power and speed.

i am honest in my posting and work for a local dealership so i know first hand what problems have arose out of these, they are good machines that need some fixing, and in stock form vs a stock form 450r i would take the can am anyday. sacrifice some reliability to have a much faster and more powerful machine.

but if you really want to add another quad to your garage i would seriously look at the ktm 450xc. its the baddest of the bad and dominates the competition in every aspect, they are top of the line race machines from the factory floor. and ride like a dream. id give up my 440ex my ltz400 and my truck to have a ktm 450xc or the ktm 525 IRS. you could not be unhappy with one of those machines.

hondaracer_34
09-14-2009, 02:10 PM
My bad man I wasn't thinking about the pink wire. But like he said, once its cut, its pretty much a different bike.

katch26
09-14-2009, 02:16 PM
ktm doesnt make an IRS.....unless you mean the Polaris.

450Rida
09-14-2009, 03:12 PM
i got one and they are great machines. mines a 08. i would much rather ride it then the old ex. the 08s had a few problems but doesnt every machine have problems in its first year of production. never the less all these problem have a service bulletin about them and a recal on the parts. and ive you managed to take it to the dealer before you warranty was up it was fixed for free. and i mean parts and labour was all covered. according to my vin i only qualified for the flywheel parts. my clutch and tranny have been working awesome since they day i got it, no problems. they are a hi maintnence machine and i change oils reguarly, and greese all parts. so maybe thats why ive never had any problems? i did bend my axle but under the same circumstances any quad would have done the same (flat lanned a 80ft freestyle ramp). so jus take to your dealer about fixing the minos issues. they are great quad well worth the deal.

rinaldi
09-14-2009, 03:51 PM
I was looking to add a 450r if I can get a new one at the right price. I was first looking at a used Kawa at about $4k, then ran across the Can Am for $4500 which seemed hard to pass up. Now I am seeing the 09 Kawa 450R at $5700. Not sure what I am doing. Was just debating on buying another quad in stead of dumping $2k on suspension upgrades on the 400.

450Rida
09-14-2009, 05:29 PM
i would go with either the 450r or the 450x. my buddies has a 08 kawi and he has had many problems. his motor blew up after the first two months. he does not race it. the 450x does lack a bit of low end stock but a pipe will fix that. go and test ride both and see which one fits you better.

sab24711
09-14-2009, 10:17 PM
im sorry but reliability is the biggest factor nobody likes to get stuck anywhere.who cares if it fast and might be able to keep up with an ktm. sometimes i do go out riding by myself and i would hate to be in the woods broken down, the faster and more powerful machine isn't going to do any good when you tranny craps out. warranties don't last forever, and so as saying its second in power well that line from first to second must be one fat line. save your money you can definitely find a cheap atv on craigslist for the same price of the 450x for example some near me.
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/rvs/1357192697.html
http://cnj.craigslist.org/rvs/1374803000.html

one of my favs
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/rvs/1358485151.html

450Rida
09-15-2009, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by sab24711
im sorry but reliability is the biggest factor nobody likes to get stuck anywhere.who cares if it fast and might be able to keep up with an ktm. sometimes i do go out riding by myself and i would hate to be in the woods broken down, the faster and more powerful machine isn't going to do any good when you tranny craps out. warranties don't last forever, and so as saying its second in power well that line from first to second must be one fat line. save your money you can definitely find a cheap atv on craigslist for the same price of the 450x for example some near me.
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/rvs/1357192697.html
http://cnj.craigslist.org/rvs/1374803000.html

one of my favs
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/rvs/1358485151.html

i never siad its gonna break down, i do alot of riding bymyslef and havent had any troubles. i jus said that the 08's had a few minor problems. once fixed it is a very relaible machine more so than the ktm IMO. but it is high maitnence like all the 450s are. i do think the x is the bets bang for the buck.

bigbad400
09-15-2009, 09:11 AM
i was talking about the outlaw but it has a ktm motor in it. i know i should have said polaris 525 irs but its a ktm at heart.

and what do you mean fat line? watch the race standings ktm or can am are usually on the top. and not milliseconds behind... stock for stock they are very close machines but ktm has a superior exhaust from the factory and much better drivability than can ams quads.

stop comparing what you have heard and putting your own pride in the way of an honest answer, i work everyday at a can am dealership, and i see first hand what happens to these things since i fix them, if you want reliability then get a honda, you want a good fast 450 get ktm or can am.

im a honda rider, i love the reliability and power of my 440ex, i love how it rides(with elkas and a arms) and if i had to i would only trade it for a ktm or can am, honda just dont keep up with the times.

you guys on here cant give an honest answer then dont post, its rude to just bash on a machine or a person for no reason. give a reason. be honest, and remember that arguing on the internet is like running in the special Olympics... even if you win your still a retard!!!

no offense to anyone in the special Olympics or retards.

rinaldi
09-15-2009, 12:53 PM
I think I am going to take the gamble and get the Can Am. It is 4500 plus about $450 to ship to my door. THe dealer does all the recalls before it leaves the dealership and will provide proof of all open recalls and work performed. May get the extended 2 year just to be safe since the factory is only 6 months and I am going into winter here in the midwest. The deal seems to good to pass up.

Gibson
09-15-2009, 06:55 PM
well let us know how it does. i'm wanting to sell a few things and buy a 450. I just don't know what i want yet

rinaldi
09-15-2009, 07:59 PM
I wasn't sure what 450 to get either. I was originally looking at the Kawasaki 450r, but they have some issues too as well as most claim the seat is too stiff and the suspension needs to be switched out. The new Yamaha 450R looks great but about $9k. So the Can Am at $4500 seems to be worth the ticket. Comes with the rear skid plate, front bumper, nerfs, different bars, upgraded rims, ITP tires. I am hoping the only thing I will want to change is the intake and exhaust.

sab24711
09-16-2009, 10:33 AM
you get what you pay for.

rinaldi
09-16-2009, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by sab24711
you get what you pay for.

Not sure what that means in this case. I am buying a MSRP quad of $8999 for $4500 brand new in a crate from an authorized dealer. That is just a good buy, not a "you get what you pay for'" That would be more appropriate for buying a chinese built quad. No different than if you liked the Honda 450R and got a deal new for 1/2 of retail. It is not like you are buying a quad with no motor.

The deal is not secret so if anyone is curious or interested let me know and I can direct you to the dealership. I hope I am fortunate to not have any issues since the recalls are done, but I still got the extended warranty to be safe.