PDA

View Full Version : Coal Creek or Hatfield-Mccoy??

frogburner
09-10-2009, 07:22 PM
A group of us from Missouri are planning a week long trip for our UTV's, and our question to you is where is a better place to ride. Coal Creek or Hatfield-MCcoy? We enjoy challenging trails, but Hatfield seems to limit you on the trails if you drive a side-by-side, but at the same time we would really enjoy the sight seeing. Which time of year would be better for riding, we would prefer cooler weather but not ridiculous cold. Please help us out, Thanks.

atv fan 28
09-11-2009, 09:23 PM
either place im sure you would enjoy!

smr
09-14-2009, 06:20 AM
harlan county ky bets both places.

wv4wheelinn
12-08-2009, 12:47 PM
Burning Rock is a good ride for UTV's and Pinnacle Creek section of Hatfield-Mccoy.Both close to Beckley,WV.

rzrivy
12-09-2009, 11:29 AM
I. Like to have some gps maps for the trtacks.

Kovatch
12-13-2009, 09:32 AM
I was at Coal Creek in May this year with a group of 17, mostly 2-ups. It was an absolute blast. The views are amazing whether you are staring down Oak Ridge, the wind farms, or the old coal mines. It was an awesome trip. They were cutting in a lot of new gas lines so there were some rather large gravel roads to hop on and take around to get farther back in the "park" or stay on the trails and enjoy. Coal Creek has some extreme trails that I wouldn't touch, and I won't back down from much. Just an FYI, to get to the northeastern "shop" that is on the map will take almost 2 hours and they DO NOT sell fuel up there, so if you are going to trek it that far, be sure to have 5 gals per quad because it is a FAR trip.

The weather was perfect for us. 60s-70s with a good amount of sun and lower humidity. It would all depend on you guys. You could go up there in the fall and see the leaves change colors which would enhance the views. I don't think there is a bad time other than the dead middle of summer. We still had some big mud holes to attempt and rip through.

I haven't been to Hatfield in a looong time, but from what I can remember, I felt that Coal Creek was more fun.

Depending on your age and night life preferences, you aren't too far from the University of Tennessee, which can also be a fun time =)

trailhouseowner
12-31-2009, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by frogburner
A group of us from Missouri are planning a week long trip for our UTV's, and our question to you is where is a better place to ride. Coal Creek or Hatfield-MCcoy? We enjoy challenging trails, but Hatfield seems to limit you on the trails if you drive a side-by-side, but at the same time we would really enjoy the sight seeing. Which time of year would be better for riding, we would prefer cooler weather but not ridiculous cold. Please help us out, Thanks.

The Hatfield McCoy Trails have been entertaining riders for over nine years now. Hatfield McCoy is now very popular with the side by sides. People from all across the US ride the HM Trail on side by sides. Many of the blue trails on the side by sides are challenging. If you don't mind the chance of rain, March would be a good time for you to ride. September and November are also good months with cooler temps.

If we can further assist you, just let us know.